Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: driving to autocross on slicks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Woody
Last year I was running RA1s, this year I'm going to be trying the Hankook Z214 in the soft compound. I don't have a trailer and looks like I'm going to have to drive the 15 miles out to the autocross site once a month on these tires. I'll switch back to street tires for regular driving. Is this a bad idea?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 30 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Last year I was running RA1s, this year I'm going to be trying the Hankook Z214 in the soft compound. I don't have a trailer and looks like I'm going to have to drive the 15 miles out to the autocross site once a month on these tires. I'll switch back to street tires for regular driving. Is this a bad idea?

I've done it. But 30 miles round-trip is a long way.

I'm about 5 miles from the local AX venue and it was OK.
It was a rough ride, mostly because the soft compound tires are not round at all when cold.
Bumpy-bump shaking the whole way.

driving.gif
grantsfo
I do it. Best when its colder as when it is hot stuff sticks to them easier and raises chance of a puncture.
Woody
My other option would be to see if I can transport em in the car. One in the front on in the back and maybe two in the passenger seat. Not looking forward to that though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 30 2011, 09:20 AM) *

My other option would be to see if I can transport em in the car. One in the front on in the back and maybe two in the passenger seat. Not looking forward to that though.

Put the top in the trunk. That way, you can easily load 3 of them on the passenger seat. The 4th goes in the front trunk.
If you have a spare tire, put that in the rear trunk as well.

I've done that many times going to the AX venues that are further away.
driving.gif
Woody
Well that doesn't sound too bad then. Thanks guys.
SirAndy
Well what do you know, looks like i did fit them with the top on!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1444998

I'm pretty sure i had to remove the seat cushion and load them from the top (roll-cage and all).
biggrin.gif
mepstein
Maybe it would help to remove the passenger seat? Takes 10 seconds.
Woody
I will only have to put two in the passenger seat. I'm running 205 and 225. I'll check to see if one will fit in the rear trunk.
Andyrew
With pass seat out, I would think you could fit all 4 in that area
Woody
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 30 2011, 12:17 PM) *

Is that legal for SSM?
jhadler
I've carried a set of four 225's, air tank, tools, jack, and gear in the car with the roof on. You just have to be inventive.

I've had two, sometimes three tires in the passenger seat (if you can get one on the floor, you're doing well). It helps to have a harness in the passenger area you can use to secure the wheels with.

When you said "slicks" in the subject, I was thinking actual racing slicks, not DOT R tires. I've driven to and from events with DOT R tires a number of times in the past. But if there's even a remote chance of rain or water on the road to or from the event, I would find a way to haul them in the car.

Good luck!

-Josh
Woody
Yes my bad. The toyos were dot r tires and I was running them for street and AX. The Hankooks are supposed to be similar to an A6.
Woody
This thread has been very helpful. I'll figure out a way to get them all in there.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 30 2011, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 30 2011, 12:17 PM) *

Is that legal for SSM?

Good question. You could always do it and then have people call you on it later smile.gif

By the way i've driven to and from on Dot R hoosiers a couple of times in the 944.
Randal
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 30 2011, 10:41 AM) *

I've carried a set of four 225's, air tank, tools, jack, and gear in the car with the roof on. You just have to be inventive.

I've had two, sometimes three tires in the passenger seat (if you can get one on the floor, you're doing well). It helps to have a harness in the passenger area you can use to secure the wheels with.

When you said "slicks" in the subject, I was thinking actual racing slicks, not DOT R tires. I've driven to and from events with DOT R tires a number of times in the past. But if there's even a remote chance of rain or water on the road to or from the event, I would find a way to haul them in the car.

Good luck!

-Josh

+1 biggrin.gif
tavoman27
Get an old top cover and put a rack on top of it and carry all four tires that way, leave the rest of the trunk space and so on for your tools, air tank, chair.... etc.. etc...
is cheap and really easy to do, I have done it many times.
TurbOH Brad
IPB Image

Were it my car, this would be my preferred method.
6freak
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Jan 6 2012, 10:07 AM) *

IPB Image

Were it my car, this would be my preferred method.

where did you get that photo ..it appears to be the Boeing plant in Kent Wa..with Wa plates on the car ...maybe Mr Hines will know.....Old AX venue years ago

BACK TO THE SHOW smile.gif
pcar916
Four rain tires in the trunk and slicks on the car was how I got to my first DE at Sears Point in 1995. The rains got used that weekend too.
yeahmag
I run those same tires and love them. I do one in the front trunk with my air tank and lot's misc stuff. One in the rear trunk with a small trolly jack, battery powered impact wrench, and more misc. tools. The final two are in the passenger seat with jack stands in the passenger foot well. All of the tires are in black garbage bags to help keep them fresh and the car clean.

I'm adding a dry sump system in which the tank will be taking up a large amount of space in the front trunk, so I may resort to the "4 in the back with a bungee" ala the photo.
EdwardBlume
I used to pack 4 Kuhmos in my old AX car with one as the spare, two on the seat and one in front of them. All with a roll bar, center console, and a jack. Can be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.