Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. VW related tho...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > Ads: All Other Non-914 Stuff
orange914
So you may know we are 914less at present. Someday the Porsche gods may see fit otherwise. Until then I've been busy with some VW rabbit P/U's. Since these are VW's I wasn't sure if this was the appropiate place to post this, please move if not. Here is what I posted on VWvortex.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm entertaining putting up my 81' pickup up for sale. I own 3 and have been tracking the prices of these for some time but am interested in what the general concenses what real money it would bring on E-Bay, craigslist or autotrader. Posted below is my somewhat lengthy write up on it. The pictures are not as detailed yet but will give an acurate idea of it's condition.

Thanks all smile.gif
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1981 VW pickup
This is not your typical VW diesel Rabbit pickup but is an even rarer, basically rust free, west coast, dry central valley, California truck. It is a very solid & tight driver. These are virtually bullet proof and give some of the highest M.P.G. of any production vehicle ever built and are becoming harder to acquire in this condition every day. With the most basic of maintenance they are known to easily run 250,000 miles as many well maintained examples have seen ½ million miles. I am a master mechanic and bought this for my wife only after a very thorough checkout. They are basic and simple “non electronic” mechanically injected diesels. If properly set up are known to run off of just about anything from waste vegetable oil to used motor oil as fuel. Ever wonder what will get you around when our overseas friends limit (or eliminate) our gasoline and/or Diesel? With fuel expected to rise sharply this summer this can be a tremendous cost savings and pay for itself in no time. It does have a salvage title but I can find zero body damage repairs to justify this. It runs out and drives excellent. The past owner claims to have put a new long block in (compression test bears this out) and my best guess is the title is due to a previously damaged motor. It runs strong and starts great every time, doesn’t leak a drop of oil and is one of the cleanest 99% rust free original engine bays around. The shifting is smooth and positive. It comes with 2 new front radial tires and two slightly older but like new tread/condition radials on the rear. They are on the original style rims and drive out smooth and straight down the road. This unusual vehicle comes with all of the hub caps and clips that are commonly missing. I will include a complete set of the optional & rare VW lightweight alloy rims free with the purchase. These lightweight rims are known to increase acceleration and fuel mileage even more. The glass is all quality O,E.M. in excellent condition with very nice professionally applied tint on side and on factory slider rear window. The interior is in far nicer than most its age and in very original condition. The seats are firm and unabused, the headliner cover does need an easy repair as it’s starting to split as they all do. She has been repainted in the original color, not show quality but very presentable. Exceptional chrome bumpers, missing 1 end cap. Factory bumper trailer hitch with all new grade 8 hardware used on install.
Most recent expenditure of $1100 on preventative maintenance included:
*New timing belt and idler pulley
*water pump/flush & thermostat
*all new motor mounts
* new injectors, fuel hard lines & pump timing set
* new belts
* all fluids and filters serviced
* new front rotors & brake pads
* new rear drums & brake shoes
* battery & alternator
* wiper blades
* Monroe air shocks
This is an extremely efficient diesel vehicle that rides like a car but works like a truck. It shows a lifetime of excellent mechanical maintenance and upkeep. Simply put these basic mechanical diesels will outlast the modern diesel vehicles. The newer computer controlled vehicles are also more temperamental and reliant on their highly complex and properly functioning electronics. She was bought for my wife to use as a backup vehicle at our lake home. I absolutely love these trucks and own several but don’t use them enough to justify keeping them all. It is in Excellent mechanical condition but buyer should bear in mind this is a earlier car/truck and not as plush as the newest luxury model some may be used to. These are highly sought after at this status and have proven a great investment unlike newer vehicles that lose value. Insurance is usually much less expensive as is maintenance. The VW Rabbit pickup was only built from 1980 to 1983 for the U.S. market but shares readily available VW Rabbit parts. A very fun car/truck! She does turn heads!!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
I dig that saddle interior!
Always liked these cars, too bad I'm not in the market.
Tom_T
Nice Mike! drooley.gif

Maybe your truck's cash sale can help you find or build a 914 Sportmatic & do the steering wheel controls refit! piratenanner.gif driving.gif

You may have to "settle" for a 914-6 Sportmatic though! biggrin.gif

I read somewhere (Samba??) that somebody put a Vanagon or Bay Window Bus "full" Automatic into a 914 too, but don't recall what all was involved in "turning around" that transaxle for a middie.

Good Luck & Happy Noodle Year! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
carr914
Wish you were closer, I could use a Parts Runner. I didn't see a price that you are asking
r_towle
All those word, yet no price?
Dr Evil
$$$?
EdwardBlume
Nice truck.

There's an electric conversion Rabbitruck around here in Ptown.

Good luck with the sale.

orange914
Yeah no price yet, I should have been more clear on the "feeler" part. I'm just trying to get an idea of it's true value. This summer I plan on e-baying it. I put way to much $ into it thinking it was the one I wanted to keep. Of course I then found an 83' 5sp. original paint w/factory air. These buggers are really hard to find anymore. The deisels are being grabbed up to do smog check free motor swaps.
Thanks in advance
carr914
Well if you have 3, I would think that you are the expert on the Value. I think you have seen there is interest here, why would you go through the evilBay hassle & Fees?
orange914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 31 2011, 04:57 PM) *

Well if you have 3, I would think that you are the expert on the Value. I think you have seen there is interest here, why would you go through the evilBay hassle & Fees?

Actually 2 drivers & 1 parts truck (95% complete). I'm no expert by any means. These things where selling all over the scale, especially last summer when gas was so high. E-bay isn't really to bad considering the market it reaches.
racerbvd
I have owned a few (5 or 6, I think happy11.gif ) my 2nd
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
was just like this one, but I converted it to gas..
Click to view attachment
I Auto-Crossed the hell out of it (the GTI gear box was great for tight courses)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SCCA H-Stock Champ beer.gif ..
Click to view attachment
Later painted White.
Click to view attachment

The salvage title is the killer, but these are known to get great mileage (mine averaged between 45-50MPG),
Click to view attachment
but was as slow as stink, but it did have over 400K on it when I traded it off for a 944 with blown engine
Click to view attachment
(that I turned into my track car)
Click to view attachment
I'm thinking $2,500, but agree with the others, sell or trade it someone on the board (no, I'm only interest in a 83 Turbo Diesel Sport Truck, a buddy had one in high school, fast, fun and great MPG, dark Blue with Blue int.)..
I traded off this(when gas prices were so high a few years ago) for paint & body work when the prices of these were at a major high (they have dropped a lot from then)
Click to view attachment
These are great Parts Runners, and I would much rather have one of these than some of the newer trash.. .
whatabout1
There was one on Bring a Trailer that went for $5800.

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/28/1982-vw-caddy-diesel/

bob
orange914
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Jan 2 2012, 12:36 PM) *

There was one on Bring a Trailer that went for $5800.

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/28/1982-vw-caddy-diesel/

bob

Isaw that on e-bay too. They do have some good potential to trick out
orange914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 2 2012, 12:13 PM) *

I'm thinking $2,500, but agree with the others, sell or trade it someone on the board These are great Parts Runners, and I would much rather have one of these than some of the newer trash.. .

Looks like you've had some nice ones. I'm open to an interesting trades, I'm in no hurry. I always thought this diesel titled truck would be perfect for an electric conversion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.