Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal UFO New Years AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Great fun on new years day at Marina airport. Would be fun to see some 914s out for this event. You just show up pay entry fee and run. No membership required. This is a happening. Amazing how many cars show up for this event. I think Randal and Bill C will be there for sure.

http://www.norcalufo.org/main/attachments/161_ufo1_2.pdf
Britain Smith
Yep, Double Point event as well. It is listed on Where2Race.

http://www.where2race.com/events/view/942-...1-double-points
Randal
222 did well in XP, although I got waxed by the black Evo with the SCCA driver.

Got to step up and run new tires, like Avon's or A6's which will help me to close the gap.

Great course and not a cloud in the sky down at the Marina.

Really cold and windy early in the morning. You could have be wearing you Alaska gear and still froze down there.
richardL
Great fun

Loved the buggy that left a piston on the course!

Randal
QUOTE(richardL @ Jan 1 2012, 07:03 PM) *

Great fun

Loved the buggy that left a piston on the course!

Hey Richard you need to change your Avatar. Want to see a picture of that nice Lotus on there!

Nice job on the course yesterday; you're starting to get a good feel for that fast machine of yours.

Actually running on street tires is smart as any issues you have will be brought to the forefront quickly. No question slicks would make you faster, but would partially mask driver input.

On another subject, Greg has built so many engines, for himself and others, that there is always something of his breaking at an event. But he uses mostly stock components and twists them 8K, so not surprising. I talked to him after the event and he said the next hill climb motor he builds will have some good solid after market parts to help with the longevity.

richardL
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 2 2012, 10:19 AM) *

Hey Richard you need to change your Avatar. Want to see a picture of that nice Lotus on there!

Done!

I definitely need more seat time - I think my spin yesterday was me doing as I was told (Randall said take the corner flat out - which I tried), but I was understeering out to the cones on the exit and I tightened the steering - then the back came out and I lost it. The Lotus is incredibly communicative about its intentions - I was just not fast enough, nor experienced enough to adjust correctly at that speed.

I will try a mount for video in the car - a little analysis would really help afterwards - as I made my mistake very quickly and its hard to recall accurately.
Randal
QUOTE(richardL @ Jan 2 2012, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 2 2012, 10:19 AM) *

Done!

I definitely need more seat time - I think my spin yesterday was me doing as I was told (Randall said take the corner flat out - which I tried), but I was understeering out to the cones on the exit and I tightened the steering - then the back came out and I lost it. The Lotus is incredibly communicative about its intentions - I was just not fast enough, nor experienced enough to adjust correctly at that speed.

I will try a mount for video in the car - a little analysis would really help afterwards - as I made my mistake very quickly and its hard to recall accurately.

Here is what it looked like to me.

You actually did take the corner flat out and made it, but right after the corner you were watching those two cones on your left, made a correction to the right, maybe a bit more than necessary, then over corrected on your counter steer and lost it. Now if you had been looking at that second set of cones, that stuck out on the right hand side, you would have slipped right past the first two on your left. Where you are looking makes all the difference in your line (*). We'll work on this when we do the walk through again. Dave has a video posted on AXPaddock that will show you what I mean.

Your car has amazing corning ability and you'll catch up to it with a bit more seat time and course analysis. Fun watching you run out there.

(*) And you'll laugh when you recall me losing it at turn 11 at Cascade, and just about going off, for exactly the same reason. I was looking at the closest obstacle, not the one that counted. Autoxing and hill climbing are the same when it comes to knowing where you need to be looking at any point during a run.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 1 2012, 02:57 PM) *

Got to step up and run new tires, like Avon's or A6's which will help me to close the gap.

Really cold and windy early in the morning. You could have be wearing you Alaska gear and still froze down there.

Edit: The final times are out posted on the UFO site. 222 did OK finishing 5th overall out of 112 cars. The TTOD black Subi or Evo, whatever it is, got the first two top times, with running on hot tires in the two driver line.

Can't wait to get my new tire set up on the car and find another driver so I can compete more closely with those big HP boys.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 10 2012, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 1 2012, 02:57 PM) *

Edit: The final times are out posted on the UFO site. 222 did OK finishing 5th overall out of 112 cars. The TTOD black Subi or Evo, whatever it is, got the first two top times, with running on hot tires in the two driver line.

Can't wait to get my new tire set up on the car and find another driver so I can compete more closely with those big HP boys.

You should have that FP Subi. They are HP limited by flow plate and FP has 2500 lb weight limit.

UFO events arent known for fast XP cars so you should be on top when you get some real tires on your car. There's a reason why Bill D never went back to GY after he got taste of Avons.

Still think you should head down to SCCA National tour in San Diego. You will be introduced to real XP competition unlike anything you have seen here. Maybe event Brit will have his car ready. it's last week of April. You won't be sorry for heading down. Its better than any AX experience I have had ever. better than Nationals for me. actually think there is more keen comptiton in So Cal national tour in some classes than in Lincoln.
EdwardBlume
Sorry....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
grantsfo
Here is top time of day in The FP Subaru. Not the prettiest run but it got the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1NrkYyeqI...be_gdata_player
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 03:46 AM) *

Here is top time of day in The FP Subaru. Not the prettiest run but it got the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1NrkYyeqI...be_gdata_player

You missed a great day Grant.

We had a fun time down there on New Years and missed not having you there to run against.

There was a bunch of competition and that black beast was pretty fast when the power was applied.

Looking forward to running againt those guys with the new A6 tire set up.

BTW aren't those the guys you beat by two seconds in your boxster? What do you think you would have run on New Years with the Nissan now that you've seen the video?
EdwardBlume
Thanks for sharing. I miss Marina. What do you have to do to be a UFOer?
Randal
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 14 2012, 02:37 AM) *

Thanks for sharing. I miss Marina. What do you have to do to be a UFOer?

Show up and pay your $35 bucks.

You'd need to pick a class, but guessing you fit well into the Vintage class with Bill Charron and Wayne.

The more "modified" cars run in the morning.

4 runs.

Dennis does a good job designing course. They are always different and technically challenging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.