Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Media blaster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
My 914 has a little (lol) rust, I was looking at a media blaster from harbor freight and was wondering if I could use play sand for blasting? I have literately a ton in bags for my kids sand box
JStroud
The main problem with play sand is the moisture usually it has too much moisture which causes clumping and the sand won't flow. I used dried montery beach sand cheap a homedepot worked great. But with any sand us a good respirator, silica is n all sand and is not good to inhale. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Randal
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Dec 30 2011, 12:24 PM) *

My 914 has a little (lol) rust, I was looking at a media blaster from harbor freight and was wondering if I could use play sand for blasting? I have literately a ton in bags for my kids sand box

The biggest problem with media blasting anything is the mess left behind. Would never do it in a garage again, even with precautions. You never get rid of the sand.

Also I agree with the other poster about moisture in sand. Definately a no-no. You'll end up spending hours trying to unplug the lines = your time is more valuable.
bulitt
I use premium playground sand from Lowes @ 3.80$/50lbs. They normally store it indoors with the concrete so it stays dry. Works great. You need to sift it with a window screen prior to using. Also make sure your compressor has an inline dryer. Too messy indoors... Also don't use silica sand, breathing hazard.
wingnut86
...just don't use kitty litter, as you need to start with a screen made out of chicken wire and move down in size afterwards

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.