Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Conversion Braking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
What is the largest engine hp that would be considered "right" for my braking system? I have
911 "M" Calipers and front struts, and 5 lug 6X15 fuchs. Other than that I am stock. I was thinking the 2.4 engine would be the best I could do. confused24.gif
seanery
It depends on what you are doing with the car.
I don't necessarily think you NEED a brake upgrade, hell, I'm keeping the stock brakes on my hot 2.2.
A well-tuned stock system works fine for our cars on the street. Now, if it's a DE car then that's another story.
ArtechnikA
you're running the package the factory shipped with the stock cars.
when they went racing with the 914.6GT, (~200 HP) they used 908 brakes up front and uprated the backs to vented disks.

the biggest problem people have with brakes is that they use them too lightly and for too long - while the net energy rejection is the same, when your foot is on the pedal, the brakes are not cooling.

what do you want to do with the car, and how much power are you expecting from that 2,4 ?

what kind of tires will you be using - that has a tremendous factor on braking, because that's the part that actually contacts the road. (i.e. - if you can lock the wheels at the end of the straight - and do it all day, you have enough brake. if you can't, you don't...)

if you've added the avaiilable brake-cooling ducting products and you are still overheating the brakes into fade, you may need more brake. harder pads to deal with the heat, more area to give back the friction you lost due to harder pads...

Porsche used the aluminum 'S' caliper on 3,0 Turbo Carreras and they were pretty heavy cars.

if you have the brakes now, try 'em and see. usually people size the brakes to the engine, not the other way around ...

---just my 0,02 pf...
thomasotten
The car will be used for street driving. I don't want this project to become the money pit. So as I am looking at engine options, I want to get a feel for what getting myself into. Another reason I keep going back to "the small six" in my thinking. Shhh! Don't tell anyone I said that. The 2.7 engine came up as a "nice comprimise" engine, but I think the "M" calipers were changed when that engine came out. But then, doesn't a 914/6 weigh less than a 911?
Mueller
what kind of roads do you drive on??

about the only time you'd cook those brakes is a DE event or if you drive in the hills/mountains and need to use your brakes "a lot" while coming downhill......

normal and even spirited driving,the brakes should be fine unless you tend to drive with one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake pedal....

get the pedal firm, use new fluid, good pads and good condition rotors you'll have a perfect braking system....
thomasotten
It is just that every time I read up on doing a six conversion, they always mention upgrading the brakes.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 24 2004, 09:38 AM)
It is just that every time I read up on doing a six conversion, they always mention upgrading the brakes.

you've already done a brake upgrade...

solid-rotor 914/4 front brakes are marginal for a /6, which is why the factory put on the brakes you already have ...
anthony
Your car still weighs the same. The brakes you have now will stop a 3.2L just fine. Just make sure it's up to perfect operating condition - new hoses, new fluid, good pads, good rotors, and calipers not sticking. Get a grippier pad if need be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.