Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to forum and 914's, first engine start in 30 years?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fleetwood914
Hey guys, new to the forum with very little 914 working knowledge.

Helping my dad get his '72 914-4 back to drivable condition after lying dormant for almost 30 years, mostly thanks to me being born. rolleyes.gif

Pretty familiar with wrenching on my own car, '95 Caprice 9C1. Yes, the cop car...
Got it setup for autoX/track days, hoping to eventually help my dad do the same with his 914.

What should be done for proper prep before trying to start the car for the first time in 30 years?

Pull spark plugs and get some penetrating oil down the cylinders?

Any way to turn the oil pump with a drill or anything like that?

Obviously draining the tank and fresh gas, but will build up and varnish be an issue even with fresh gas?

Best way to turn the motor over by hand to make sure things are moving freely? Dad says there is a nut on the fan, attached to crank that would probably work? Direction to turn?

Not at all familiar with these engines or starting long dormant cars.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a pic with Dad from Christmas after unearthing the car from 30 years worth of junk piled on and around it.Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Let me be the first to say,

welcome.png piratenanner.gif

cwpeden
I, along with most, recommend replacing the fuel lines, Fuel injection seals, vacumm lines.....pretty much all thing gas related. The last thing you want is to start the car for the first and last time in 30 yrs because its burnt to the ground.

I'll see if I can find a link to a checklist for you. This had been done a few times recently.

Oh, the alternator belt too. I thought an engine was seized and it was a petrified alt. belt.
Fleetwood914
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 31 2011, 02:51 AM) *

I, along with most, recommend replacing the fuel lines, Fuel injection seals, vacumm lines.....pretty much all thing gas related. The last thing you want is to start the car for the first and last time in 30 yrs because its burnt to the ground.

I'll see if I can find a link to a checklist for you. This had been done a few times recently.

Oh, the alternator belt too. I thought an engine was seized and it was a petrified alt. belt.

Thank you!

I have a lot of searching and thread reading ahead of me!

Dad dug out all of his old 914 books, magazines and manuals tonight, so gonna be busy scanning that stuff too.

Any of those things you listed particularly tricky to R&R or find parts for?

TIA!
-Brian
JawjaPorsche
Finding parts for a 30 year old car is not easy. 914World is a great source for hard to find parts. Pelican Parts is also a great resource. http://www.pelicanparts.com/ Witchhunter does a great job of cleaning and rebuilding your injectors: http://www.witchhunter.com/ A lot of parts are still available through NAPA or some other auto parts stores.

Terry

QUOTE(Fleetwood914 @ Dec 31 2011, 04:48 AM) *

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 31 2011, 02:51 AM) *

Thank you!

I have a lot of searching and thread reading ahead of me!

Dad dug out all of his old 914 books, magazines and manuals tonight, so gonna be busy scanning that stuff too.

Any of those things you listed particularly tricky to R&R or find parts for?

TIA!
-Brian
shoguneagle
Welcome to the Board. Looks like a great project and purpose to get it running again. Your Dad should really enjoy the process and seeing his car running again.

All the suggestions given here are excellent. Especially the fuel and fuel injectors. Take your time and make sure each possible "check list" items are done and the car and its systems are the best condition possible. Your are asking he right questions and getting answers so have fun. I know your Dad is in for a lot of memories and enjoyment seeing the car run again.

I was in Chicago for the first time in 45 years this last Spring. Had not been there since 1963 when I was going to the UofI at Cham./Urbana.
Really enjoyed the downtown and even went to the Eastern end of Route 66.

Both of you have fun, enjoy, and again "Welcome to the Sickness".

Steve Hurt
914Bryan
I agree with the fuel related parts replacement advice. My 914 was dormant for 10 years and the tank was full of varnish. The fuel pump was siezed. Instead of buying a new one ($$$) I had mine professionally rebuilt; cost a hundred bucks and I have a warranty to along with it. I didn't replace the fuel lines, just blew them out, but in the back of my mind, I wish I would have. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you anyway.

Good luck..Everyone here is available for help. These cars are a lot of fun.
type47
QUOTE(Fleetwood914 @ Dec 30 2011, 11:50 PM) *

Any way to turn the oil pump with a drill or anything like that?

No. Pump is driven off the camshaft gear which is driven off the crankshaft.

Best way to turn the motor over by hand to make sure things are moving freely? Dad says there is a nut on the fan, attached to crank that would probably work? Direction to turn?

Don't think there's a nut on the fan. I'd remove the spark plugs and use the starter to turn over the engine. Eventually, you'll have to verify the starter circuit is operable anyway.
rick 918-S
welcome.png

Please replace the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel. Look in our member vendor section for parts sources. Replace all the rubber lines with proper metric fuel line. There have been several cars lost to engine fires due to aging fuel lines.

I pulled a tank recently and cleaned it using a battery charger and Arm & Hammer washing soda.

There are a few threads on doing it if you search.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=soda&st=0

If it were mine I would pull the engine and remove the engine tin and clean out all the mouse nests. You will end up over heating the engine if the mice built nests in the tin and blocked the air flow for cooling air.

Get some Brad Penn or some other brand of oil with high ZDDP content. I would get 10/30 for start up and re-breakin.

Check the chassis for rust. Specially the battery tray, hell hole and suspension ear on the right side.

Repack the front wheel bearings and rebuild all the calipers and replace the master cylinder and rubber lines.

Then drive it like you stole it! aktion035.gif
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
Tom_T
As someone whose 73 914 also sat for almost 30 years (since May 85) mostly due to kids coming along & sucking up Dad's spare budget.... biggrin.gif
welcome.png
... to both you & your Dad!

As the others above have said:

replace all rubber fuel & brake lines - I'll add check & replace as needed all of the vacuum lines,

change out the fuel & fluids,

get a fresh battery - preferably a gel cell (e.g.: Optima) or dry cell (e.g.: Odyssey) - or at least a sealed cell (e.g.: Interstate),

change the fuel & oil filters & flushing the fuel tank is a good idea - but if it's rusted inside you'll need to refinish or replace it (at least the old fuel was ethanol & MTBE free dry.gif ),

check & clean the injectors (depending on engine - some NOS ones are still around at a price or the rebuild route noted above);

clean & spray with dielectric oil or dielectric grease (e.g.: Wurth Connector Oel) at all of the EFI, Ignition & power connectors you can find,

check & clean/gap or replace as needed the plugs, points, condenser & injector points (below ignition points in distributor) & plug/coil wires (they're 30 years old now & insulation must be shot);

replace those old tires,

check if you need to rebuild the brake calipers &/or MC (MC available new, member vendor PMB on here sells MCs & can rebuild/restore the calipers),

then fuel & try her out & evaluate what else may need to be replaced or repaired.

I'm sure I forgot some, so look through the garage threads for what others in this situation have been advised (search function at tab above).

Have Fun! smash.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Tom
///////
DblDog
Welcome...always nice to see a father and son project! I just got my 72 going after a very long time...reminded me of the day I brought it home when it was new, OkK, not as shiny. BTW, nice adaptive re use of that brass bed frame for a roll bar.
rohar
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 31 2011, 09:30 AM) *

As the others above have said:

replace all rubber fuel & brake lines - I'll add check & replace as needed all of the vacuum lines,

change out the fuel & fluids,

These things cannot be said enough. All the rubber parts on a teener are subject to wear. As part of our treaty with Germany after WWII polyurethane production was restricted. The result is that all the rubber on these older German cars is less than what we'd expect over here in the states.

Oh, and flush that fuel tank. I just recently forgot to do that on a 944 I brought out of the mothballs. Cost me a fuel pump.
markb
welcome.png
aharder
welcome.png
Deep6
Does anyone have a suggestion on a hot spark plug to use? I too am in the process of finishing up fuel lines for a 30 year first engine start.

George
Austin Texas
Fleetwood914
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! We'll try and keep things updated!
ConeDodger
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.