Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have several hi-torque starters laying around. I know that some were broken and some worked. They all look the same and I cannot figure out which one works. I hooked the ground up to the - side of the battery and the area on the starter where the ignition wire hooks to the + side of the battery. All of the batteries shoot the gear out but none spins. I checked with 2 different batteries and both have 12+volts.

Is this a reasonable test? Should the starter spin under these circumstances?

I was going to say that I am a bit of an electrical idiot however I realized that it would be better put to say that I am an automotive idiot biggrin.gif
Tom
You say you hooked the positive to where the ignition wire would go. Do you mean the spade connector? If so, that is for the power to operate the solenoid. Hook up the positive to the top of the two large posts on the starter, ground to negative , and jump from the large post to the spade lug. This will operate the solenoid, closing the electrical contact to the motor.
Tom
wingnut86
...and you can use a Harbor Freight Starter Tool/cheap screwdriver as your "switch" for the above step that Tom mentions for turning the motor over beer.gif

Shaft against large stub and apply the other end of the "switch" against the spade lug.

P.S. Make sure you are physically not grounded or touching the metal of the screwdriver. Better than a New Year's popper for getting you going

rolleyes.gif
tornik550
Worked perfectly- thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.