Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing air box - but where?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
My 1971 914 1.7L came to me with a very not-at-all-stock air cleaner assembly that looks like it was stolen from a Boxster.

I bought a paper-type round air cleaner from ebay that comes with a long bolt, but I think I'm missing a tube or mounting hardware or something. Can anyone post a photo or two showing how the thing is supposed to be connected?

Thanks!

-marcus
Jeffs9146
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

We cant tell what you have from your discriptions!!
r3dplanet
I would think that anyone with a stock, round 1973 paper filter style air cleaner would know what it looks like and how it mounts. You see, the 1.7 liter engine has an air intake with large intake tube on its side. The earlier models used an oil bath, the 1973 model used a disposable paper filter. Both are circular and look somewhat similar. As far as I know, they have the same mounting hardware. Or maybe they don't. That's why I'm asking.
mrholland2
QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ Dec 31 2011, 02:52 PM) *

I would think that anyone with a stock, round 1973 paper filter style air cleaner would know what it looks like and how it mounts.

It really depends on how much stuff has been changed by previous owners. I'm sure that when mine moves to other hands, they will find many things completely insane and impossible to describe online without photos, especially after I get done with my new air cleaner setup. . it will torture Porsche purists forever (evil laugh). evilgrin.gif
type47
Here is a pic of an oil bath air cleaner, paper filter air cleaner is similar
Jeffs9146
My 1971 914 1.7L came to me with a very not-at-all-stock air cleaner assembly that looks like it was stolen from a Boxster

Maybe I misunderstood!

I guess you bought a replacement complete 1.7 paper filter to swap out with the Boxster type that the PO had put on!

It sounded like you purchased a paper filter to fit in the "Boxster" type that you had!

Sorry confused24.gif
wingnut86
Yep, those oil baths scream "Turbo Mount".

Or massive chrome and blue silicone air snorkel beer3.gif
r3dplanet
Well, yes. I appreciate the responses. My initial post was just too vague.

Anyway, my new (old) air cleaner assembly looks very much like the one above except that its innards are different and its made of plastic instead of metal. But they would mount the same way.

I think I'm missing what the mount looks like, and what (if any) ducting I need. I think this because I have no mounts or ducts.

-marcus
jcd914
There is a 3 legged mounting bracket that goes over the intake plenum. It bolts to the case at the rear by the bell housing to one of the bolts where the case halves meet. Then the 2 front legs go to a couple screw holes down by the sheet metal (if memory serves me). The air cleaner sits on the bracket and a long bolt goes thru it into a nut in the bracket.
I don't have any picture availible.
Jim
mrholland2
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 31 2011, 05:36 PM) *

There is a 3 legged mounting bracket that goes over the intake plenum. It bolts to the case at the rear by the bell housing to one of the bolts where the case halves meet. Then the 2 front legs go to a couple screw holes down by the sheet metal (if memory serves me). The air cleaner sits on the bracket and a long bolt goes thru it into a nut in the bracket.
I don't have any picture availible.
Jim

Could there be diagrams on the Pelican Parts site?
JamesM
You need the air cleaner bracket and the U shaped intake boot to connect the air cleaner to the throttle body.

couldnt find a pic on pelican so i had to go last resort on this...

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Air-Cle...039129541A.html

intake boot
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1-7-th...=item35ae0953a3

good luck finding a paper element that is a proper fit, the original is NLA and every one i have seen sold to replace it leaves gaps at the sealing surfaces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.