Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spot Welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
Ok, I'm a tool junkie and I saw this Spot Welder and thought I might get one (just in case I need to replace a fender or something) biggrin.gif

Would it work or should I get the heavier one?
TimT
I have one that looks similar, and I bought t some of the different tongs that go with it.

Its a bit of a pain to use, quite heavy, and hard to manuver in some of the spaces on an assembled car. I think its not a "must have" with a good mig welder, and some practice you can make rosette welds that mimic spot welds in all sorts of odd positions like you would find during a restoration..
GWN7
I've used the porduction spot welder at my buddys shop (water cooled, 4' arms on it) and it was quite handy for some stuff. Is the one you have a 115V unit? I'm wondering if the 115V works as well as the 240V?
TimT
I have the 115V unit. It works well for me.

I found it was just easier to get out the MIG and weld. Rather than try to use the spot welder. For example if you are welding patch panels in, its rather easy to punch a series of holes in the repair panel, then fit up the piece. Then just go in with the MIG and have at it.

The same type of repair with the spot welder is is just a less efficient process IMHO. Ive found with the almost equal amount of prep to get pieces properly fitted, the MIG wins. The spot welder is difficult to position cumbersome to move etc.

This is just my experience..I bought the spot welder thinking it would really streamline my 911 restoration, but then there were so many spots I couldnt even use it. That I just used the MIG, rather than flip back and forth between different welding methods...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.