Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blynes
I have become involved in a discussion/arguement with the local PCA region president about the so called differences in the "drivers school" VS "the racing" line around a road course.

I have attended a number of PCA schools and also BMW club, Alpha Club, & Skip Barber Racing School.

When this first came up I scratched my head trying to understand what he was talking about.

It finally hit me. He is trying to say late apex.

In theory a drivers school event would teach a later apex than a racer may choose as it is the safest line.

You don't run out of track. It's high school physics.

From my experience all schools including racing schools teach late apex as a begining point.

The racers simply refine their turn in till there is no track left at exit.

I would be interested in getting some feedback as to what the different schools across the country are teaching.

Bill Lynes
Savannah, GA
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Blynes @ May 1 2003, 05:49 AM)
The racers simply refine their turn in till there is no track left at exit.

Huh?? unsure.gif

I'm trying really hard to understand what you are saying. Could you possibly act it out using hand-puppets? wink.gif
morgan
:gilloutine: At most schools, they teach late is safe line though a turn.( friends don't friends early apex). Also for insurance concens,lawyersthey should not talk about racing
John Morgan,BMW Badger Brimmers Head Instructor, SCCA National comp lin. driving.gif hanged.gif
Blynes
OK watch my hands ...

If you have 20 feet of track not used up as you exit the turn you could have been going faster.

If you are really interested as I am (read obsessed)
get a copy of "Going Faster"

BL
TimT
The DE line, late apex

The racing line, anywhere you can fit your car on the track driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Mr. Morgan ( he is now Mr. for me)

Has it nailed for this area.

Late is safe. All students get taught this locally in ground schools and time trial. Its up to them to figure out that they can go faster with a different apex.

I "teach" the newbies the same thing then starting planting the seed with them as I feel they are ready for it about using the whole track and turning in a little earlier with more speed.

B
Dave_Darling
It's not only the safety issue--the later apex is very often the correct "solo" line as well. It lets you exit the corner with more speed, letting you be faster the whole way down the following straight.

The racing line is not only "anywhere the car fits", but often is earlier than the "solo" line because if you stay way wide on turn entry, someone else will dive under you and take the corner. A defensive line will often have a much earlier apex than a solo line.

An "attacking" line is anything that gets you past that d**n car ahead of you. biggrin.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.