Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Level disassembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
My new (used) shift level feels very gritty. Seems like it needs a total disassembly, cleaning, and regreasing.

Shift lever is already out of the car, any special instructions for removing the guide pins and springs? Is this thing going to explode in my face? Never to be re-assembled?

any suggestions would be appreciated.
mike_the_man
When pulling out the pins, point the springs away from your face. From what I recall, the springs were a real bitch to get back in, and it took 2 people to do. I'm sure there's a better way, but I don't know it. I bet James Adams would know the best way to do this.

Sorry, not much help...
jr91472
no problem Mike, I appreciate the warning
JWest
Where are you in Dallas? Bring it over and I can go through it for (with) you.
jr91472
McKinney actually (extreme N Dallas)

you?
JWest
West side of Fort Worth.
jr91472
thanks for the offer. smilie_pokal.gif Is it really that difficult?
JWest
Not hard. I pop them right in all the time. It's all in the technique, but I can't explain it without doing it again and paying attention to how I actually did it!
Red-Beard
I use the housing. First, get a pin ready with one of the C-clips on it. Next, Put the Spring in, one end near where pin will go in. Put other end on the opposite side, but slant ways across the housing.

Using a cloth or to protect in case the spring gets loose, start compressing the spring, by sliding one end of the sping towards the other end of the housing. Once it's compressed, quickly get the pin inside the spring. Now use the pin to move the spring around until you get the pin the rest of the way through the housing. Insert the other C-clip.

Repeat for the other spring. Definitely wear eye protection for this.

For removal of the spring, put a cloth of the springs, pull the pin out, then use a screw driver to pry the spring out of the housing.

It's pretty obvious what I mean when you have the peices in hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.