Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump jumper switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefool
Alright. Screw this- I jumped the fuel pump relay, pump runs. The relays are good, so whatever. I'm putting in a jumper switch. (Nice anti-theft touch, anyway)

I'm no longer interested in tracing down every F#*ing wire-the summer is ending and I'll have 4 months to do a "proper" fix.
Any ideas on fitting wires into the relay plug holes? I think a disassembled relay would work best, but I don't want to ruin one. There's already a switch mounted handily near the heater lever, for an extra blower motor. Don't know if that heat setup works, but who cares. Heat is for wimps.
I'll throw an inline fuse in, short the damn thing out, and DRIVE.
Besides, the more switches, the better!
(My dream is to have a 914 that looks like the inside of an Apollo Command Module-all switches and gauges)

Anyone got a BTDT?
I'm not scared, I've got a fire extinguisher handy... mueba.gif

Eric
72 1.7 D-Jet
john rogers
My relay jumpers have a 40 amp toggle switch, fuse holder and bananna plugs on each end. The plugs fit snugly into the sockets. They are not a permanent fix though as I use them in emergencies.
SirAndy
QUOTE(porschefool @ Aug 24 2004, 07:39 PM)
Alright. Screw this- I jumped the fuel pump relay, pump runs. The relays are good, so whatever. I'm putting in a jumper switch. (Nice anti-theft touch, anyway)

I'm no longer interested in tracing down every F#*ing wire-the summer is ending and I'll have 4 months to do a "proper" fix.
Any ideas on fitting wires into the relay plug holes? I think a disassembled relay would work best, but I don't want to ruin one. There's already a switch mounted handily near the heater lever, for an extra blower motor. Don't know if that heat setup works, but who cares. Heat is for wimps.
I'll throw an inline fuse in, short the damn thing out, and DRIVE.

no need to hack in there that much ...
as i said, all you have to do is ground PIN 3 of the FI-Brain connector to run the fuel pump.

leave the friggin relay IN there, that way your pump is running off the original relay AND the original fuses.

just put your switch in line with that ground wire and you're done!

see attached pic ...
smash.gif Andy

PS: oh, and that way you don't need a special switch either as you're only switching the trigger ground on the relay, and not the actual power to the pump. just leave the 4-prong connector for the brain on there and splice/reroute the wire on pin 3 ...
Brad Roberts
I like to use the grounding wire from the heater lever to turn on the fuel pump... great anti-theft device and all the wiring is within 3 inches of where you need it (on the relay board)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 24 2004, 10:28 PM)
I like to use the grounding wire from the heater lever to turn on the fuel pump... great anti-theft device and all the wiring is within 3 inches of where you need it (on the relay board)

yupp, if you don't need heat, that's the ideal setup.

just use the heater lever for the pump.

cut the wire from the 4-prong connector that goes to PIN 3 and connect it to the brown wire on the heater blower connector. you have 2 wires for the heater blower coming out of the harness right next to the relay board.
green = 12V
brown = ground

the lever switches the brown ground to run the heater blower, so connecting PIN 3 to brown will be a perfect switch for the fuel pump ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.