Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 finally home after 3 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi_Fi_Guy
Three years ago I purchased a nice looking little green 914 over eBay. Car was a mess. After two years of slow-progress and A LOT more rust than I ever imagined I reached a breaking point. I turned the car over to Patrick Motorsports one year ago. Got it back for the first time today.

Major mods:
- Jake Raby built 2270 Type IV
- Front mounted oil cooler with oil vapor catch tank in engine bay.
- Fiberglass front trunk lid, rear trunk lid, bumpers, & front air-dam.
- Carrera suspension and brakes includes 5 lug conversion
- Fuchs 16x6 wheels (wanted black and polished spokes but got black with polished rims... will probably swap although they are growing on me)
- Lots of other fun suspension upgrades & enhancements by Patrick Motorsports.

Overall the car is light & tight (1910 Lbs.) and fun to drive. Easily handles as well as my Boxster, probably better once I get used to it. The rebuilt gearbox is TIGHT... will take some breaking in and getting used to as well. I haven't taken the RAT motor past 4k yet but I cruised home at 75-85 MPH with plenty of pull everywhere. Once I get 500 miles on her and do the oil change & valve adjustment I will really see what the motor can do. Pretty significant ehaust & valve noise with no interior in the car yet clap56.gif

Waiting on the DynaMat, carpet sets, & new upholstery and then she will be ready for fall driving in AZ (read less than 100 degrees every day). Right now I am just happy to have the little green machine back. Not too much time for pics as a sand storm was blowing but here are a few. More to come later.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
smg914
Wow, very nice looking car! I like the Delphi Green Metallic. I also like how you painted the fiberglass bumpers to look like chrome with black tops.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 24 2004, 08:25 PM)
I like how you painted the fiberglass bumpers to look like chrome with black tops.

Thank you.

The "chrome" part of the bumper is actually a BMW silver color that Patrick's shop came up with. We found a place in Texas that can do a really good looking "chrome" paint effect on fiberglass and the samples were excellent but there was some question about how well it would hold up against rock chips, etc. The silver works very well and actually looks even better in person.

Delphi Green has always been a fave of mine as well. I saw a pic of one in a Porsche picture book when I was in middle school and that was it for me. My first 914 was orange and I loved it dearly but this is the 914 I have been wanting forever.

Thanks again for the kind words and allowing me to share with you the 914 that has been the focus of my attention, energy, and checkbook for over three years driving.gif
vortrex
looks amazing!! can you post a scan of the bill? biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
WOW!! Its been that long since I built that engine??

Please send me some pics when the car is all done, and I'd love to get a testimonial from you for the site after you nail it the first time..

Don't be afraid of it, that baby don't need a break in- she was ready to hit redline the minute after it came off the dyno..

BTW, rev limit is 7,000 fuel grade is 91+- double check their timing settings and you might need a tad of jetting change for your altitude!
rick 918-S
delphi is cooollll! wub.gif
tod914
Your car turned out fantastic! Congrads smilie_pokal.gif
thesey914
It looks awesome drooley.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 24 2004, 08:49 PM)

Please send me some pics when the car is all done, and I'd love to get a testimonial from you for the site after you nail it the first time..

Don't be afraid of it, that baby don't need a break in- she was ready to hit redline the minute after it came off the dyno..

BTW, rev limit is 7,000 fuel grade is 91+- double check their timing settings and you might need a tad of jetting change for your altitude!

Well Hi Fi Guy, it looks like Jake gave the "thumbs up" on seeing what she'll do! driving.gif

Beautiful car, nicely (re)done BTW wub.gif
mikey
Great looking car, and I love the color! This is very inspiring. I've been working on my project for about 3 years too.

Thanks for posting your pics!
Mueller
damn.....nice looking car....congrats !!!!!!!
mightyohm
WOW. Those bumpers came out really nicely!!!
ablose58
Hey that car kind of looks like mine smilie_pokal.gif COOL another kermit puke/metallic delphi green one on the road boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
914Timo
Congrats !! smilie_pokal.gif

Looks good clap56.gif I like the bumpers too (and know what I am going to do next ) boldblue.gif
RON S.
Wonderful job, smilie_pokal.gif
Seeing 914s on the forum is what gives me the incentive to keep going on my car. beerchug.gif
I'm sure your like me and you stand back,stare at it for hours,and say "damn thats beautiful". biggrin.gif
And then ya do something else to it to make it look even better.
Ron
bwilless
Nice! You should try and get the interior done for the AZ PCA Phx Flight event in late Oct.
dflesburg
What are you gonna do if it rains?
jfort
congratulations! nice looking car!
rhodyguy
sharp!!! i sure like the delete on the antenna. should fly with the diet. would you show a picture of the oil cooler setup?

kevin
machina
fantastic car, well done.

let's see the motor!

dr
red914
WOW! what a gorgeous car! no one here would complain if you posted more pics, maybe some actions shots of it out on the road, etc. and maybe a shot of the engine bay, oil cooler set up...

nicely done! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Stutgart46
Great looking car. What size tires did you squeeze under those stock fenders. Also, I would love to see pics of the motor as well.
seanery
SWEET! clap56.gif
gklinger
Beautiful car!! pray.gif

Whose fiberglass bumpers are those? They look great!
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Aug 24 2004, 08:45 PM)
looks amazing!! can you post a scan of the bill? biggrin.gif

Let's just say my 2002 Boxster is my inexpensive every day car compared to the 914.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 24 2004, 08:49 PM)

Thanks Jake, I think it is running a bit rich right now. I know PM tweaked the ignition and carb settings to get it to pass AZ emissions then "fettened it back-up". It seems to run very well but will need to be fine tuned in the coming week.

By the way, the crew at PM was very impressed with your pre-jetting and syncing of the carbs for our altitude. After sitting on a pallet for over a year they said it fired on the first turn of the key and when they checked the carb-sync it was nearly spot-on.

Hopefully many happy miles to come!
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(bwilless @ Aug 25 2004, 03:14 AM)
Nice! You should try and get the interior done for the AZ PCA Phx Flight event in late Oct.

The interior should all be completed and re-fitted in September. The plan IS to have the car at Phoenix Flight this year. AZ PCA members have some nice teeners hidden away but they never seem to bring them out to the show. We need more good looking 914s at the Flight.

By the way, the dark green six with the 911 style interior was there 2 years ago I believe. WOW, that was an amazing, no expense spared, 914-6 conversion.
winterkornj
Nice car and I love that color. The painted fiberglass bumpers was a great idea, I have never seen that before.
Allan
Veeeery Veeeery nice! biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
Great job! Your combination of parts and the looks of the car are fantastic.

More pics, more pics...

Sometimes the waiting is just too much... and you just gotta spend$$$.
Jake Raby
Glad my calculations were very close on the jetting for ya... There is NO replacement for a dyno tuned engine!!

Go drop the hammer on it!
i love porsche
boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

thats one of the nicest 914s ive ever seen, i hope mine looks even close to that one day! have lots of fun with her...and do you have any pics of the engine? driving.gif
dinomium
that is one great color! I have two that are Delphi Green under the crappy current paint... dig the bummpers too!
great job.
should I paint one of mine that color?? idea.gif
jtf914
agree.gif Sweet ride!!!!!
anthony
Let's hear some details about the restoration. More detailed pictures would be cool as well!
horizontally-opposed
Wow. Nicely done and very tasteful. I smell article -- maybe in the next year or so?

PM me if you're interested.

pete
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 26 2004, 09:47 AM)
Wow. Nicely done and very tasteful. I smell article -- maybe in the next year or so?

PM me if you're interested.

pete

That would be really great. I sent you a PM

Feel free to PM me or e-mail to brianmiller@hifidesign.com
redshift
WOW!

smile.gif

Fuck..

sad.gif

M
SpecialK
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 1 2004, 03:06 PM)
WOW!

smile.gif

Fuck..

sad.gif

M

lol2.gif chairfall.gif

I hear ya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.