Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video Recorder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
There seems to be a number of units available from Hero including a Motor Sports unit, Go Pro and so on.

So which is the preferred unit for recording AX, Hill Climb or Track events?
ConeDodger
Randal,
I have the Motorsports unit and it works great. I hear they have an updated model out now too. I am very pleased with mine and was just telling my son today that I would buy a couple more and mount them in various other places on the car so that I could do an edit and watch from multiple perspectives.
hot_shoe914
All the GoPro HD cameras are the same. The difference in the motorsports and others is the accessories. As Rob said, there is a new updated version out which has a place for an external mic. The older version works great and can be had a lot cheaper now if there are any left.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 3 2012, 04:51 AM) *

All the GoPro HD cameras are the same. The difference in the motorsports and others is the accessories. As Rob said, there is a new updated version out which has a place for an external mic. The older version works great and can be had a lot cheaper now if there are any left.

I had suspected they were all the same. Best Buy has started to carry accessories too. My only complaint has been the bone head operator forgetting to shut off the camera between runs and the battery not lasting long enough. I am looking into getting and carrying a spare battery. The bone head, I'm not so sure what to do about... huh.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 3 2012, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 3 2012, 04:51 AM) *

I had suspected they were all the same. Best Buy has started to carry accessories too. My only complaint has been the bone head operator forgetting to shut off the camera between runs and the battery not lasting long enough. I am looking into getting and carrying a spare battery. The bone head, I'm not so sure what to do about... huh.gif

The Hero and the Hero2 are different. The best camera is the Hero2, which is easier to use as the options are more clearly defined, and the stills are 11MP, rather than 5MP on the original Hero. I bought a Hero2 before Christmas and took it to Costa Rica for vacation. The image quality is VERY good - I was very surprised.

As stated above, the "editions" provide different accessories -

Also, If you are going to film more than about 45 minutes between charges, spend the $50 and get the battery back pack - I am glad I did for our trip -
McMark
The only two GoPro camera bodies available currently (newest models) are the HD Hero and the HD Hero2. Both of these are better than the model that was sold in the group buy here a few years ago.

Features I care about only in the HD Hero2
* Aux. mic. input.
* Adjustable field of view (170, 127, 90 degrees) - so if you're seeing more car interior than course, you can switch to a smaller FOV.
* Better video quality

As mentioned, the 'editions' are merely accessory packages. So even if you were to buy the wrong one, you could supplement your purchase with the correct accessories.

If I were shopping, I would buy a HD Hero2 Motorsports Edition.
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I got the hero 2. There's also a light meter setting for in car shots. External mic is a big plus for what I want to do.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2012, 02:51 PM) *

The only two GoPro camera bodies available currently (newest models) are the HD Hero and the HD Hero2. Both of these are better than the model that was sold in the group buy here a few years ago.

Features I care about only in the HD Hero2
* Aux. mic. input.
* Adjustable field of view (170, 127, 90 degrees) - so if you're seeing more car interior than course, you can switch to a smaller FOV.
* Better video quality

As mentioned, the 'editions' are merely accessory packages. So even if you were to buy the wrong one, you could supplement your purchase with the correct accessories.

If I were shopping, I would buy a HD Hero2 Motorsports Edition.
IPB Image

agree.gif With all of the above except that the last 'group buy' organized by HotShoe was for the HD, not the original... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 3 2012, 02:55 PM) *

I got the hero 2. There's also a light meter setting for in car shots. External mic is a big plus for what I want to do.

agree.gif I want to run an external to just outside the engine cover so I can have engine for soundtrack. evilgrin.gif
campbellcj
FWIW I would get the latest (2) version as well if you care about audio -- for in-car use the original HD version's built-in mics are awful.

I'm planning to get a Hero 2 to use in-car with an external mic, and then I can mount my earlier version someplace interesting i.e. rear-facing or outside the car.
naro914
FYI, if anyone is interested in a remote on/off button for GoPro (not remote control, but a wired button to start / stop the camera recording) I sell them for the guy that makes them.

$60 each.

Comes with 8' cable. You need to modify the case a bit, but not a big deal. Instructions included. I used it this weekend at Barber and it worked great. no more figuring out how to reach the camera, or recording 5 minutes of sitting in grid/paddock/pits etc. from when you turn on the camera until you actually get moving.

PM me if you're interested...
pete
I want to replace my old video camera soon. Uses small 60 minute cassette tapes. I would like to get a digital video recorder. I'm only a point and shoot kind of photographer. I rarely take more than 30 minutes of video at a time. Would the GoPro Camera be a good choice? I like all the available attachments and the size of it. I read a review once that this person wouldn't use it as their only video camera for say vacations and home movies. Why not?
campbellcj
QUOTE(pete @ Mar 5 2012, 12:41 PM) *

I want to replace my old video camera soon. Uses small 60 minute cassette tapes. I would like to get a digital video recorder. I'm only a point and shoot kind of photographer. I rarely take more than 30 minutes of video at a time. Would the GoPro Camera be a good choice? I like all the available attachments and the size of it. I read a review once that this person wouldn't use it as their only video camera for say vacations and home movies. Why not?

The GoPro is pretty versatile for action-shots i.e. in-car or helmet-cam but it would be far from my first choice as a general purpose video camera. You're better off with a traditional cameraphone, point-and-shoot or camcorder for stuff like vacations or the kids' school play...
1973-914-2L
I have the Hero Motorsport .. not the 2 but it is a great camera .. a little PITA until you get used to how it functions .. and the view angles (no viewer yet) and the battery lasts 2 hrs .. I now have bac pac that doubles that .. once you get it figured out you can get great footage and edit with almost any editing software ..

Really slick little deals .. I enjoy it .. You will to ..

Also they re very tough if in the case .. the cases are almost bullet proof ..

Steve
Andyrew
To be perfectly honest, I have the helmet Hero HD and I use the base that was in the display package that you see (4x4 plastic), added some velcro to the base and tape IT to whatever body pannel I want. I dont trust suction cups..

So it doesnt matter what one you use, its about HD vs HD2.

I like the HD, but I think the HD2 really is the next buy for me..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.