Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: $530 for a sparkplug and wire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
The Jetta started running rough two days ago.
Since i don't have time to look at it during the week, i told the GF to drive by the dealership and have them check it out.

I already knew where to look thanks to my trusted OBD scanner chip:
DTC Code: P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

So my GF calls me back just now.
The guys at the dealership quoted her $530 to change the spark plug and wire.
unsure.gif

screwy.gif

lol-2.gif

blink.gif

stromberg.gif
MartyYeoman
My daughter's PT Cruiser requires removal (and replacement) of the fuel injection intake runners to replace the plug wires. Maybe your Jetta is also designed as wonderfully well. confused24.gif
JawjaPorsche
Used to be you could get your hands in the motor area to work on something. Now they got everything so compacted you can't even see were the problem is must less getting your hands in there to fix the problem. Started when we got rid of rear wheel drive.

I miss the days of air, gas, or fire. Not some computer, vacuum switch, or some other crap.
bigkensteele
Nothing has plug wires anymore. They all have coil packs, and those can be pricey. It was a well known problem on the earlier 1.8T Jettas. Not sure when or if they fixed it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 3 2012, 05:31 PM) *
Nothing has plug wires anymore. They all have coil packs, and those can be pricey. It was a well known problem on the earlier 1.8T Jettas. Not sure when or if they fixed it.

Mine has wires. Big red wires. I've seen them.
shades.gif
Mikey914
My son has a 96 Passat(VR6) that has a new coil pack and bad transmission, so it it's the right one he could give you a deal. just changed it 50 miles before the trans took a crap.
Mikey914
Also check the recalls. many of these coil packs had been recalled yours may be covered, however I would think the dealer would know that. But these are prone to cracking over time.
jcambo7
I've learned most dealer auto service sections play dumb a lot. Do your research to see if you're covered.
Black22
My dealerships around here send me notices of recalls. Most times before I hear about them. It's as though they're fighting to be the one who gets to make the repair! I never get charged and usually end up with free services for my time.
Andyrew
I've seen recalls for Audi's coils.. Same thing..

Personally never replaced them, but they are S4 coils in my A4 so I know they were replaced sometime.
Brett W
A VW with a Check engine light, surely you jest?

Actually coil failure is very common on the VW. Are you certain it doesn't need a coil replaced? Although 530 seems really high, what parts and labor did they quote? On all the 1.8 engines the coils are super easy to change out. What year Jetta?
tradisrad
Andy, you may not need any more diagnostic, but if you ever need a scan I've got a Ross Tech Vag Com. I'm in San Mateo near 280 & 92.

The wifes 4 cylinder coil pack cracked on her Jetta and caused misfires.
EdwardBlume
Dealers stick you.... its a fact. Good luck getting it resolved.
pdlightning
Don't ya just love dealers?
Ductech
Car manufactures are required to inform you of a recall when the recall is a of a nature that could cause severe injury or death. They are required by the dot to send out information to the original warrantied owner. Now if this isn't an issue that could cause mass hysteria when it happens they will inform you at the dealer when you take your car in for service that "Your car has some updates from (blank manufacture) and we would like to take of them now.... is that ok?

These are usually little things that your manufacture has found need changing but aren't critical to your safety

at least this is how ducati operated when i worked there

I have also seen manufactures turn a blind eye to non safety related recalls after awhile
somd914
It seems like many are blaming the dealer instead of the engineers behind technology that drives high prices of parts and cars that are nearly impossible to work on. Friend of mine with his Bimmer paid a few hundred for a headlight bulb replacment - HID bulb was pricey and the bumper had to come off to get to the bulb! He shopped around and didn't go the dealer to save some, but why is a burned out headlight a few hundred dollar job?

Oh, I also fried the coil in my son's Acura last summer - removed a plug wire while running to try to determine which cylinder was missing - OBD sacanner wasn't showing anything. Well, as I found out later, this a common method to toast a perfectly good, expensive coil. On the positive side, this test helped me to determine which cylinder was missing - all of them at that point ! headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 4 2012, 03:45 PM) *
It seems like many are blaming the dealer instead of the engineers behind technology that drives high prices of parts and cars that are nearly impossible to work on.

Well, it can't be that hard to get to as i just got a quote from a independent shop to replace all 6 spark plugs and wires for much less than what the dealer quoted me for *one* spark plug and wire.

popcorn[1].gif
somd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2012, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 4 2012, 03:45 PM) *
It seems like many are blaming the dealer instead of the engineers behind technology that drives high prices of parts and cars that are nearly impossible to work on.

Well, it can't be that hard to get to as i just got a quote from a independent shop to replace all 6 spark plugs and wires for much less than what the dealer quoted me for *one* spark plug and wire.

popcorn[1].gif

No arguing that dealers are more expensive than independent shops, but my point is that maintenance isn't considered in the design phase, and the bang for the buck isn't there in the expensive technology.

Was it really a plug wire or coil pack?
SirAndy
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 4 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Was it really a plug wire or coil pack?

The dealer quote does not mention anything about a coil pack but it does mention the spark plug and ignition wire.
idea.gif
rjames
I just did the spark plugs, wires and valve cover gaskets on my '97 Tacoma. Had to remove the intake stuff and spent two hours trying to unplug enough of the wiring harness so I could get to the the valve covers. A total of 7 hours (and $130 in parts) I finished the job. The shop wanted $500 to just replace the gaskets. Didn't seem as unreasonable as I had first thought after doing the work myself.

The 914 seems like a cake to work on sometimes compared to newer vehicles.

McMark
Took 30 min and $175 in parts. tongue.gif

Easy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 10 2012, 03:29 PM) *
Took 30 min and $175 in parts. tongue.gif

Easy.

beerchug.gif

Yepp, McMark got my money. Quicker, cheaper, better ...
piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.