Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76' 914 COMPLETE Restoration/conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
bag5rcg
I am testing the waters to see if anyone is interested...So here it goes...

1976 2.0 (originally). The engine conversion is done (to a 3.0) All of the new parts used for the engine compartment were supplied by Richard Johnson (well known for quality parts and support) these parts include the firewall mounted engine mount, original oil tank, oil feed/drain lines, accelerator linkage...He also supplied the Big Red Brembo brake calipers on the fronts and backs, the 5 lug conversion, the back control arms were rebuilt with new bearings and re-enforcements (also done by Rich), the rear suspension has new Koni shocks and new coil-overs, the front suspension was rebuilt with new bearings and swapped with a 83' 911 SC (for the 5 lug capability)and includes the "hard" thick 911SC sway bar, the front shocks are also brand new Koni's, a Setrab oil cooler (from Patrick Motorsport) has been installed and tested, ALL of the rusted areas (almost none, was a California car to start) has been replaced/repaired with brand new steel from Automobile Atlanta, the interior has been completely replaced with new carpet and brand new fiberglass backed REAL leather (all from Appearance and Performance) the interior includes: new leather backpad new leather seats, new leather center appearance console (with leather gauge face, new leather console, new leather rollbars (front and rears top rear), armrest, new leather door panels, new leather armrests for the door panels and all of the new door hardware(window cranks, interior door pulls), The dash was replaced with the 5 gauge position Getty(911 style) dash,All of the gauges were rebuilt and tested by "Big Dog", the shifter has been replaced with a new JWest shifter and all of the bushings for the shifting linkage were replaced at the same time, the exterior door handles have also been replaced with newly chromed handles (AA again), ALL of the seals were replaced, All of the steel flares are on, the car is painted back to the original Silver, Newly chromed front and back bumpers (pre 75' bumpers( body holes drilled and ready)) with NEW rubber tops (VERY HARD TO GET)...I have both types of plastic chromed grills; the ones with and the ones with the fog light cutouts, new fiberglass front valance with production GT style oil cooler cutout, real 5 lug 7's and 8's Fuchs with new tires all the way around. The engine has been started and runs great. All that has to be done is to complete the wiring to the alternator and the engine compartment is DONE.

Other great things about his car:

New old stock seat belts (AA)
2 sets off new old stock Hella rear lens American and Euro
New front headlights
New torsion bars with associated hardware from Elephant Racing 22mm?..can't remember...
Aluminum center brace from 911 for front A-Arms
New ball joints
19mm brake master cylinder
all stainless steel brake lines with new soft lines to the calipers
Red painted fuel tank
New fuel pump
New "new style"-blade fuses- fuse box
New Solid engine and transmission mounts
Rebuilt Zenith carbs
NEW paint....Car was red when I got it...I went back to the L?? paint code (looks GREAT)
ENGMAN longitudinal reinforcements installed
New windshield with new seal
New seal on back window
New seals on the door windows and triangular windows
New vented rotors
New CVs and bolts

Essentially, everything that could be rebuilt or upgraded WAS...I made a point of using vendors/suppliers from 914 World and Automobile Atlanta

Special thanks to:
ENGMAN
George (AA)
Rich Johnson
Appearance and Performance
Dr. Evil (for helping me get my transmission built in the waning hours of the clinic at AA...Thanks again George for holding the tools I lent during the clinic...
JWest
Elephant Racing
Patrick Motorsports
I'm sure I have forgotten a few others.....

Here is the HEART BREAKER...I have a job that puts me at home in Atlanta about 30 days every year and this car has been under a cover for 3 years; it has NEVER been out of the neighborhood...I am crying while I write this because I have been SOOOO wanting to drive this car, but, I can't "get in front of it" long enough to get it on the road.
As you might expect there is ALLOT of money wrapped up in this restoration/conversion (probably around 30+k)...Let me know what you think..

Did I mention I also have a newly rebuilt engine by Motor Meister. It was rebuilt and I paid the extra to have them start it up and run it to test. Its a 2.7 with all of the correct modifications (engine case studs, correct cams for the newly rebuilt Webers etc.....). Also a newly rebuilt transmission; this was rebuilt when Dr. Evil had his class in Atlanta; all the parts needed were replaced along with the seals of course....That is an extra REBUILT drive train as a spare for the car. These are both in addition to the the 3.0 engine and transmission in the car. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
MoveQik
Since you didn't list a price, I'll offer you $10k for it.
bag5rcg
smile.gif That'd be a no....smile.gif
bag5rcg
The 2.7 rebuild with the Webers cost 10k alone....I'm still thinking of a price...I want to get a consensus before I decide...Guys???
mepstein
How much without the engine?
BKLA
Beautiful car...

See if Motor Meister will buy the motor back for what you paid for it. You'll be miles ahead if they will. If not, maybe they'll do a consignment sale for a fee. Even if you lose a little, you'll still be ahead.
911cab84
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 3 2012, 04:28 PM) *

How much without the engine?

Also interested without the engine smile.gif Mp if you want!
MoveQik
QUOTE(bag5rcg @ Jan 3 2012, 05:20 PM) *

smile.gif That'd be a no....smile.gif

Ok. $12k.
phillstek
If it 's as described I say $18k definitely, low $20k's maybe.... with the 3 litre.
dion9146
Whatever you do, put your price on it and stick to it. But be prepared for all of the ridiculous low-ball, idiotic offers you will receive including rescinded offers, serious tire kickers that disappear into thin air, etc. It's actually hell to go through as a seller when you are emotionally attached to your car - exactly how I feel about mine.

Ask me how I know this lately.....
bag5rcg
Thanks for that....Good to know....
ken_xman
Interested when you nail down a price. Cash on hand. Let me know
sixaddict
cheer.gif
So the point of all that is listings are suppose to include price...The site police have arrived hissyfit.gif
Dont worry though your not the first to sin beerchug.gif
bag5rcg
OK Guys....I'm getting the feeling that the engine re-builder is not the preferred re-builder here...Please believe me when I say I hold everyone's experience, knowledge and love for the 914s in the highest regard and it is painful to realize I may or may not have made a mistake in my choice at the time. I would love to hear something positive about them if anyone has anything.
As far as the rebuilt 2.7 that is out of the car...I did my initial research and found that the 2.7 was a great stating point IF you were to do a rebuild and fix the known weaknesses in the production build; namely the weak case studs. While I was at it I had the cams changed to "S" cams and made improvements like the "better" timing chain tensioners etc to refine the design and build to support the new Webers. I had them rebuild and then run the engine in there so THEY could find any problems..The engine was delivered and has been on the stand since. If I sell my project I won't have a car to put the engine into, so, there won't be any point in hanging onto the engine. I could try to sell the engine separately either somewhere else or back to the re-builder (yes I have called them).
I did what I thought was right at the time and spent a load of money doing it...I am trusting that the re-builder did their job and that my investment in the "run in" was money well spent. If I find out differently I will take "other" action!
I am now off my soap box smile.gif...Thanks for listening smile.gif...

Back to the car...A couple of things that were left out:

New custom professionally built stainless steel heat-exchanger headers
New MSD 6AL ignition
New Optimus battery
New "Sweet Pickle" exhaust
New heat-resistant tubular fabric to cover the new clutch and accelerator cables all from Patrick Motorsports
New "turbo" tie rods
New steel mesh racing hoses to and from the oil cooler and to and from the engine...All new blue anodized fittings throughout
GT engine lid
New chrome trim for winsheild

Price will be around 25-30K taking all the new parts and labor into consideration and without the engine. 9K more with the 2.7 engine and rebuilt transmission. You could almost put a dealer sticker on this car when its done..This price may go up because I am trying complete the build while I am in Atlanta..

Here are some more pics...I will get better ones (of the headers etc) soon...\

Thanks again for looking gang!
bag5rcg
More
bag5rcg
ken_xman
Can you give me your number to talk about what needs to be done still so I have a better idea on a price.
C.Plavan
How much WITHOUT the MM motor?

Edit. Saw the $25k+..... nevermind
Cairo94507
Wow - beautiful car with a lot of heart in it. I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

I hope MM agrees to buy the engine back (I doubt they will) just to make it easier to sell the car. Unfortunately their reputation is such that I would consider the engine almost a core without having a reputable shop tear it down and reassemble it after checking all of the internals. How MM stays in business is beyond me. Please check your warranty period from MM and make sure you take whatever action you are going to take while it still exists.

Again, great looking car with some very nice work.
Mzalmanek
Is this still for sale?
jss297
QUOTE(bag5rcg @ Jan 5 2012, 09:34 AM) *

PM Sent
Mzalmanek
I asked in Feb. If this was still for sale. Email me at mzalmanek@mho.com or call 303 932 9990.
Mzalmanek
I asked in Feb. If this was still for sale. Email me at mzalmanek@mho.com or call 303 932 9990.
bag5rcg
Bump for Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.