Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PEGGED VOLT METER!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
This a.m. I noticed my volt meter was PEGGED. When I came to a stop, at an idle, it went down to about 14 volts. When I accelerated - it PEGGED again!!!
I thinkin' voltage regulator - YOU???
Thanks, Gary
ArtechnikA
put a meter DIRECTLY on the battery posts and measure.
sounds like a bad VR to me but i have no confidence in the console meter...
don't run it long like that, too-high charging voltage will kill a battery in a hurry
Joe Bob
Yep...those old VDOs are very trustworthy....
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 25 2004, 07:46 AM)
put a meter DIRECTLY on the battery posts and measure.
sounds like a bad VR to me but i have no confidence in the console meter...
don't run it long like that, too-high charging voltage will kill a battery in a hurry

agree.gif with both ...

don't trust the old gauge and don't run the car for much longer or it'll fry all sorts of things ...

wink.gif Andy
SGB
When mine did that, initially I replaced the VR, but that didn't do it. I had to replace the alternator. Really surprised me....
fiid
Hijack....

DO more modern cars have the regulator built into the alternator? The subaru alternator seems to be piped (and I mean piped - 100amp fuse) directly to the battery!

Fiid.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 25 2004, 11:26 AM)
DO more modern cars have the regulator built into the alternator?

911's since about 1978 or so.
'Murican iron for a long time...
KitCarlson
The points in your mechanical voltage regulator are stuck. Very bad! Get a replacement solidstate regulator (I got mine at NAPA). Your regulation will be better and your battery will last longer. Your regulator is on the relay board in the engine compartment.

I know from experience with the same problem. I quick rap on the regulator broke the points loose and gave me the time to get the replacement.

Kit
d7n7master
Done deal smilie_pokal.gif
Replaced the voltage regulator, alternator, belt, battery and ground cable.
All's well - Thanks, I'm happy that fixed it.
I had a car many years ago that fried the wiring harness when I shut off the engine. Damn vr stuck in the "closed" position. That was not a fun fix.
Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.