Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler or Exhaust Recommendations for a F.I 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo

Just looking to replace my ratty old brownish muffler on my 1.7 stock f.i.

Car . This is mainly cosmetic upgrade , not performance and or sound related !

I'd prefer to avoid , Famous ' Porsche bs.gif Bursch muffler due to there

lack of Longevity , ??/ ?

and i'm also not trying to spend mega dollar either .

but any suggestions would be great and of course ,

I would prefer to buy form other board members here since i've had such great experiences too .

so don't be afraid to chime in if you 've got something

Also , bursch in pasadena , local to me offfers a jet hot coating w/ there mufflers but i'm kind of suspect of there stuff . smash.gif screwy.gif

?
reharvey
There aren't that many companys making mufflers for our cars and if you're going the low cost route---there are even less. Buy the Bursh and it'll probably last a lot longer then you think. Ray
johannes
I have a Bursch and it looks pretty solid. I don't know how long it has been on the car (10 years ?) but the metal doesn't looks that thin. It's louder than the stock muffler but not extreme. They built four versions.
http://burschexhaust.com/4cylinder.htm
For muffler longevity always park your car after the muffler is hot enough.
thelogo
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 4 2012, 03:11 PM) *

I have a Bursch and it looks pretty solid. I don't know how long it has been on the car (10 years ?) but the metal doesn't looks that thin. It's louder than the stock muffler but not extreme. They built four versions.

Yes I see 4 versions on the website , but it does not explain the difference between

the ? comb and the street or the other 2 ,

but i'm looking for the quietist of the 4 .
oldschool
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 4 2012, 03:38 PM) *

Yes I see 4 versions on the website , but it does not explain the difference between

Go to Power muffler in Monrovia talk to the owner there ....tell him Jaime send you shades.gif
Socalandy
agree.gif Bursch on my 72 for 4 years, muffler popped a small hole around 2 years in, "they buy that else where" and they replaced it while I waited first.gif
johannes
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 4 2012, 03:38 PM) *

BX 1413 - Quiet Street
jimkelly
is your muffler JUST BROWNISH?

of does it have holes in it?

if just brownish - remove - sand blast - ceramic coat - maybe : ))
osvolant
My car (76 2.0, backdated exhaust to 73-74) has a Sebring exhaust, sold by Pelican Parts. They sell one for the 1.7 engines. Sort of a simplified, cheaper Bursch. It is a little raspy at higher RPMs but sounds OK. No idea how long it's been on my car (at least 3 years I've owned it) but shows no sign of rust.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...f_pg1.htm#item3
nsr-jamie
I have a Bursch with the quiet pack muffler for a 73-74 2L exhaust and I have been using mine for a good 10 years or so and its in good shape. I did once removed, blast it, painted in high temp paint and welded on a new stainless tip and its still going.

Other brands are the Sebring, ANSA and also Triad which I heard good things about. If you muffler is in good shape and only brownish like you said you can just clean it up and spary it with high temp paint if you dont want to spend much, that might be the better way to go or even a used exhaust (check classified)

Someday I want to upgrade to a Tangerine racing set up but thats going to be a while as I need to fix some other things and save up.

Cheers beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
Also I just noticed you hava stock 1.7L...so something you may want to think about is finding a used 2L setup...thats what I did. I through out my old rusted 1.7 heater boxes, found a nice used set, bought the 2L Bursche muffler and had to change the muffler stay as well. I would say the car performed slightly better or it could just be my imagination but I honestly think it felt like it was a bit faster with the 2L set up compared to what I had on before.
thelogo
email from bursch was promptly responded to ,

price is 299 , and I think i may currently have a sebring pipe on there .

uploaded photos soon , how do I tell what the brownish piece of crap on there

IS ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.