Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazing tool for 1 person engine drops/installs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rohar
Any of us that have dropped/installed an engine know what a PITA the front cross member bolts can be. This bad boy makes my day as I'm fabbing a lot lately and the engine goes in, then the engine comes out, etc.

Break the nut loose by hand. Crank it down on the bottom end of the bolt, clamp it and it hangs on all by itself. Hold it with your ankle and hit the top end of the bolt with a pneumatic ratchet (manual ratchets work too just slower).

IPB Image
Andyrew
Close up of that thing? Its a vice grip wrench?
TheCabinetmaker
Cool looking tool. Do you put it on the top or bottom?
rohar
It's a 110mm clamping ajustable end wrench from stanly. I stole it from my little brother. You just twist it down like any other adjustable end wrench then clamp it kinda like a vice grip and it just hangs there so you're not fumbling with two wrenches.

My engine dollies are pretty low so I don't have to lift the car too much when pulling it. I rest the rear of the car on the dollies then attach the wrench to the bottom end of the bolt just sticking out under the side of the car. I use my ankle as a stop for the wrench (with thick work boots, that thing might kick and leave a bruise) then just reach into the engine compartment with the pneumatic. 10 seconds tops to pull the bolts.

Edit: Just looked it up, $18 at amazon:

Linkey to amazon
Cap'n Krusty
If you're repeated removing and installing the engine, why not just use non-locking hardware until you are ready to drive the car? Besides, I fail to see any need for a special wrench when I can just put a short 17mm box wrench on the top and let'er rip.

The Cap'n
76-914
agree.gif 'cept I use a std socket & ratchet. My cheap box end doesn't have enough offset.
JmuRiz
My favorite tool was a lift and a can of PB Blaster biggrin.gif

That combo wrench is darn cool though, never seen one before. Man, I need some more tools!
clapeza
Just saw that Amazon is now listing it for $11.88. Placed my order!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.