Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Type1 Bus Alt Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Helping a buddy, who is helping his boss out via phone blink.gif

Type1 in a Split window has a few issues.

In this pic, No current into battery when running. 12vdc at yellow/red terminal on top of alternator when running. Is there a external reg on these?

Click to view attachment

Issue 2 is 1amp draw coming from battery with key off and out of ignition, traced to 8ga wire going to Starter. Bus is air bagged and he has no lift or ramps at the moment, if starter solenoid is going bad will it start to draw juice on its own? I suspect he may find other things powered there, once he gets a look at the starter...

glens67
Go here Some one will answer quick
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/index.php
nathansnathan
Only the 67 model year split had 12v; 66 and before were 6v systems, so if that one is 12, unless it's a 67 it would not be stock. Also, I think buses had generaters, not alternators until the type 4 engine in 72 - could be wrong about that.

The stock systems all had external regulators, but since that is probably an aftermarket unit, it's hard to say.
Ferg
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 5 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Only the 67 model year split had 12v; 66 and before were 6v systems, so if that one is 12, unless it's a 67 it would not be stock. Also, I think buses had generaters, not alternators until the type 4 engine in 72 - could be wrong about that.

The stock systems all had external regulators, but since that is probably an aftermarket unit, it's hard to say.

this thing is far from stock... Air bagged, show van, big stereo ect, It's 12v. Motor is oversized, I don't know the size. Where is the ext regulator usually located?
nathansnathan
The regulator is usually on the firewall, it acts as a heat sink apparently. A modern alternator, though, it may be inside.
mrbubblehead
that alternator is internally regulated. the regulator has gone out, and now the alternator is acting like a motor. thats where the draw is coming from...
Cap'n Krusty
Must be the chrome ..............................

Other than that, the previous post is likely spot on.

The Cap'n
904svo
Those alternators have a build in regulator, to make it work you must wire the
terminal (male terminal) behind the battery lead, to the generator lamp for 12 volts, this is for the exciter field to get the alternator to work when the engine
is running.

Check out this site http://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_replacement.html
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 5 2012, 03:48 PM) *

Must be the chrome ..............................

Other than that, the previous post is likely spot on.

The Cap'n

Since the alternator is polished, I would highly doubt that it is an original Bosch. That one was likely made in China. dry.gif When you replace it, get a Bosch AL-82N; they come with a lifetime warranty from Bosch. Not cheap for the real deal, but worth the investment ('cause you'll likely never need a replacement).
Mark Henry
Mr.bubblehead and 904svo are correct, and in about a year or so will aircooletechguy. They are hit or miss, I have one guy that has 3 years on his (summer DD) but I only got one season (6 months) out of one in my '67 bus.
Ferg
thanks guys, I just got back from working on it...

It's kaput, could not pull it out tonight, owner hopes to make it about 25 miles tomorrow it needs to go to a rod shop because one of the fittings for the air bag suspension is leaking (not sure where) and when fully down tires actually hit tops of wheel wells blink.gif

New Alt will be sourced tomorrow and likely be put in by me and my buddy on Sunday, then it's off to a trade show in Vegas for the owners business.

zambezi
Interesting that with all that chrome and trim they deleted the main large iconic VW emblem from the nose. I think it looks naked without it. Nice 23 window reguardless.
Ferg
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jan 5 2012, 10:07 PM) *

Interesting that with all that chrome and trim they deleted the main large iconic VW emblem from the nose. I think it looks naked without it. Nice 23 window reguardless.

They are replacing it with a custom built one that is the company logo.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.