Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is needed to Convert a 1.8L car to a 2.0L?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74porsche914
So I found a deal on a 2.0L engine rebuilt by a very reputable shop. I am thinking about purchasing this engine and putting in my car which currently has a high mileage 1.8 engine. The parts that are missing from this engine are the manifolds and the fuel injection. Will these parts from my 1.8L engine work with the 2.0L engine? Also what other parts will I need for the conversion. I have recently replaced the fuel injection in my 1.8L engine so I would like to use that if it is possible. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
dlee6204
You can use the 1.8L L-Jet fuel injection but the main issue is the intake manifolds. 2.0L heads have three studs and 1.7/1.8L heads have four studs. You'll have to modify your 1.8L manifolds in order for it to work. If the 2.0L motor was rebuilt with 4-stud heads, you'd be in luck.
bigkensteele
Modifying your 1.8 runners will be pretty easy. You just need to buy a pair of manifold gaskets for the 2.0. You will need them anyway. Bolt them to your 1.8 runners using the upper/outside holes. The third empty middle hole in the gasket will show you the exact location to drill the new hole in the plate.

You will also need to use the distributor from the 1.8. Make sure that both engines are at TDC on #1 before you pull the dizzys.

I think that you also need to use the oil filler from the 1.8 as it has a vacuum line port.

Can't remember what else off the top of my head, but there have been a couple of threads on this topic in the last few months.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=145343

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=117537

The second one should answer most of your questions. Good luck.
74porsche914
Thank you for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.