Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Hand at Plating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
I have read where others have done some plating on this site, but here's my picture account of my experience. The kit I ordered is the Copy Cad kit from Caswell.

Here is the set-up. Much of this stuff you have to get from the hardware store.
Top shelf: 3 amp rectifier
Below shelf: copper bus bars and thermostats for heating elements
Bottom shelf - left to right: degreaser in old crock pot, bottle of distilled water for rinsing, muriatic acid dip, cad-zinc dip (notice negative copper bar for hanging parts, yellow chromate dip for the bright yellow shiny look

Click to view attachment

Crock pot with degreaser
Click to view attachment

Nuts and washers in cad-zinc pot hanging with brass wire (negative side) The rectangular piece in the back of the bucket is the cad (postive anode) Also in the bucket is a water circulator, thermometer, and heater.

Click to view attachment

This bucket contains the yellow chromate solution for the yellow shiny look

Click to view attachment

Parts drying. Notice basket with wired mesh bottom. Great for small parts

Click to view attachment

Completed parts with yellow chromate

Click to view attachment

Completed parts on first batch. I sent this picture to Caswell for evaluation and they said I need to be sure of my surface area for amps used and to clean parts really good before the process. As you can see, some parts came out better than other parts. The lug bolts were not dipped in yellow chromate. The lug bolt at the top of the pile was buffed out. The caliper in the upper right corner was done by Eric Shea of PMB Performance. Put it in for comparison.

Click to view attachment

This may not have been the most cost effective way to get my parts done, but it was sure a lot of fun. Going to play around wth black oxide next. Oh, I asked how long my cad-zinc solution would last. They said what the sent me would do 60 sq ft. Guess I'm good for awhile.
Lennies914
That is a good looking set up.

The plating looks good too!

Great idea with the crock pot too. I'll be checking the local thrift shop for one of those. biggrin.gif
tod914
Very nice! Would definetly be interested in having some parts done in black oxide once you get set up. What degreaser are you using, if you don't mind me asking?
Mikey914
The black oxide is not as good at preventing corrosion. I'd stick with what you're doing. Unless you're just having fun.
76-914
Cool. Thx for posting this. What is the heater's role?
ww914
tod914 - The degreaser is called SP Degreaser that Caswell sent in the kit.
76-914 - The cad-zinc bucket needs to be 110 degrees and the yellow chromate needs to be 80 degrees.
HarveyH
You can electrolytically clean the parts by using a Stainless Steel plate (Negative) and the parts (Positive) in the hot cleaning solution. It is more aggressive than the heated solution alone, so you have to be careful. It should also remove rust. You can also clean aluminum this way but it is usually VERY aggressive and you must do it quickly to avoid damage. The tank must be non-conductive so the Crock Pot will work fine. An additional note is that ceramic glazes 'tend' to be attacked by alkaline materials so you might want to not store the cleaning solution in the Crock Pot when its not in use.

Lots of information online if you Google Electrolytic Cleaning.

Harvey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.