Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Hi All,

I purchased a 71, 1.7L from a fellow member last April. I have a single key that works the ignition, rear trunk and front trunk. The door locks are a bit sticky so I probably need to disassemble before I get too adventurous with my sole key. With that said - I see key blanks on ebay, but the bottom line is I don't know how to get a new key made. Is it a matter of buying the correct blank and going to a locksmith or is it more complicated than that? Any advice appreciated, a bit nervous with just the one key which looks a bit worn...

thanks
Reg
Mike Bellis
Find a real locksmith! Not home depot or hardware store. It is as simple as cutting the key if the doors are keyed the same. They should be... Squirt some lube into the door lock cylinder and it should free up some.
TheCabinetmaker
As long as you have the blank a new key is piece of cake for any competent locksmith. Nothing special about the key. They also have generic blanks.
markb
It's cheaper to call GPR for the blank (it's probably our Ebay ad you're looking at). Have a real locksmith do the cutting, and look at my signature for how to re-key your door handles if needed.

welcome.png

Enjoy the 914!
SLITS
Anybody with a blank and a key cutter can duplicate the key. Pick someone close so you can try the key. As careful as some are, you can always get it slightly off.

I have a machine and cut my own!

smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
Bring your key to the Hershey swap meet in April and find Tony Eugenio.
He's in PA and a regular at the Hershey event. Tony is The Guy for Porsche locks and keys...
mepstein
Get a new one made. I had one break off in the ignition and it was a pita to get a new one. Not impossible but not my 1st choice.
Drums66
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 7 2012, 11:41 AM) *

Anybody with a blank and a key cutter can duplicate the key. Pick someone close so you can try the key. As careful as some are, you can always get it slightly off.

I have a machine and cut my own!

smoke.gif

.......Marching in step 1-2-3-4
BTW.........I have a bunch of new blanks! smoke.gif
bye1.gif
John
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 7 2012, 12:53 PM) *

Bring your key to the Hershey swap meet in April and find Tony Eugenio.
He's in PA and a regular at the Hershey event. Tony is The Guy for Porsche locks and keys...

agree.gif

You should also be able to look him up on the internet. I have heard that he can not just duplicate your worn out key, but make you a NEW key. He apparently figures out the key code and cuts new keys that way. He has the blanks as well.

This is a link to his business.Tony Euganeo
ClayPerrine
A good locksmith can take the ignition lock and make a new key from the tumblers. The locksmith that I used suggested that I have them make a key with only one side cut. That way I will always have a template that never gets worn out.

I did that for both 914s. All the locks match and all work great now.
ipro4ever
I think you should consult a good auto locksmith.They will definitely solve your problem.
NJ914Guy
I sprayed a little aerosol Remoil (for guns) in my door locks and trunk tumbler. Made all the difference in the world. Very smooth now.
Mr.242
I've got another twist to this problem...

I've only got a VALET key to my car. How do you get a DRIVER key cut?

I'm assuming there is a special notch in the key cutting that allows the unlocking of the trunks and glovebox.

Am I right in assuming this?
flipb
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 10 2012, 09:33 AM) *

I've got another twist to this problem...

I've only got a VALET key to my car. How do you get a DRIVER key cut?

I'm assuming there is a special notch in the key cutting that allows the unlocking of the trunks and glovebox.

Am I right in assuming this?

Just purchase a Driver's key blank (black handle) - PP used to have them. It can be cut from the Valet key - the pattern is the same, it's differences in the key blank that make the key work (or not) for the trunk and glove box.
Chris Pincetich
MarkB is now "GPR" on this board
I packaged all my lock cores up and sent to him, and viola, brand new keys and matching cores for a reasonable price. Doors work perfect while locking cores are out, but the ignition I would not try to rig without the core in there (but it could easily be done). Go new! beerchug.gif
markb
I'm not GPR! I work there a couple of days a week, so will post from that account occasionally. Now ya got Jonathan trying to make me the boss! dry.gif

biggrin.gif

A good locksmith will have no problems doing whatever needs to be done to our cars, and for most things, your local hardware store can probably do it. Key blanks you'll most likely have to get from a supplier.
914rat
Midget where are you in Md. I'm in Calvert County are you close ?
Welcome to the club.
I have a friend in Accokeek that can hook you up he did mine several years back.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Jan 7 2012, 01:11 PM) *

Hi All,

I purchased a 71, 1.7L from a fellow member last April. I have a single key that works the ignition, rear trunk and front trunk. The door locks are a bit sticky so I probably need to disassemble before I get too adventurous with my sole key. With that said - I see key blanks on ebay, but the bottom line is I don't know how to get a new key made. Is it a matter of buying the correct blank and going to a locksmith or is it more complicated than that? Any advice appreciated, a bit nervous with just the one key which looks a bit worn...

thanks
Reg

Hi All - thanks again for all the advice on how to get my key copied - I really appreciate all the help on this forum and can't seem to stay off of this site (kinda making the wife crazy but hey, got to learn new stuff and have fun at the same time! bye1.gif

Reg
dadaDaveed
When I did mine, I found that my only key had been cut slightly off. For some reason it worked fine in all the locks, but it made for a lousy guide when cutting replacement keys.

Ultimately, I pulled the wafers from one of the locks and gave the numbers to the locksmith. He was able to cut perfect replacements and even looked up the original key code in case I need to make more.
barefoot
QUOTE(markb @ Jan 7 2012, 03:31 PM) *

It's cheaper to call GPR for the blank (it's probably our Ebay ad you're looking at). Have a real locksmith do the cutting, and look at my signature for how to re-key your door handles if needed.

welcome.png

Enjoy the 914!

Mark:
Somewhere tells how to remove the lock cyliner from late (76) 914, something about drilling a hole in a certain spot. My lock housing has what looks like extra holes drilled into cylinder area, but not where some photos indicate and there is no leaf spring under these spots. Can you advise where to drill, or am I missing something, lock cylinder will not come out. i've removed al. housing from car, so can do the evil deed.
Hsg P/N is 113 905 851 A
Eurika, I found it, drilled a small hole in between the cast in ribs just where photo on left shows, it worked and I've got the lock cylinder out !
Click to view attachment

Now to figure out what tumblers to change out to the the key to work.
Barefoot
toolguy
Your biggest problem will be that your are probably trying to duplicate a worn key. . Take out the trunk lock and take it to a real locksmith, with your worn key. . he will be able to make a new key with the proper profile from the rear lock. . cost me $7 per key with me furnishing the key blank. .
barefoot
OK now I've got the ignition lock assembly out of the steering housing (76 model), but can't extract the inner cylinder and wafers. Only key I have will not turn in ignition lock, so can't retract wafers, how do I get it out?
Thinking of inserting narrow "feeler gages" into ends to compress wafers, can this work ???

2 July update;
Took my gin. switch and drivers door handle to locksmith, he was able to impression what key needed and make new keys, case closed !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.