Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch retaining bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
Is there a trick to getting the clutch retaining bolts out? they sit right against the ring gear on the flywheel preventing a socket from sliding on. and I can seem to get a good grip with an open end.
nathansnathan
I just experienced this in the engine of my parts car. Someone used the wrong bolts and the heads were super close to the edge of the flywheel. There was no 'good way' but I managed with a wrench and even a 1/4" ratchet.

The right bolts are supposed to be smaller wrench size with a serrated flange.
reharvey
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jan 7 2012, 03:34 PM) *

Is there a trick to getting the clutch retaining bolts out? they sit right against the ring gear on the flywheel preventing a socket from sliding on. and I can seem to get a good grip with an open end.

You need a thin wall socket. I make my own by grinding down the outside until it fits over the bolt. Yeah--that's low tech but it works for me. Ray biggrin.gif
jmargush
I got them out but it wasn't pretty. I compared them to my 1.8 engine that still has the clutch on it and those bolts sit higher that the ring gear almost like the pressure plate on the 2.0 I am tearing down is thinner or the flywheels are different and the 2.0 has a deeper recess inside the flywheel.
rjames
Hmm, I was able to get a craftsman socket on mine when I replaced the clutch & flywheel on my 75 2.0 recently. confused24.gif
A&PGirl
The 1.7/1.8 Clutches use a shorter length bolt than the 2.0.

The -6 Clutches use the same length bolt as the 1.7/1.8.

They all should have washers underneath the head.

The -6 and -4's list the same p/n for the clutch & pressure plate.
SirAndy
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 7 2012, 12:56 PM) *
You need a thin wall socket. I make my own by grinding down the outside until it fits over the bolt. Yeah--that's low tech but it works for me. Ray biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Same here ... smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.