Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
Being new to the 914 World, I am not totally sure about the fuel line replacement.

My question is, since I am having my 2.0 converted to carbs, do I need the second fuel line? Not sure why the FI needed two, but will one 8mm SS line do the trick? Shall I just leave the fuel pump and filter up front? I see that some change the fuel pump to a rotary pump, but why? The pump that is there now is a one way in and one way out. Seems crazy to change that out.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 7 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Being new to the 914 World, I am not totally sure about the fuel line replacement.

My question is, since I am having my 2.0 converted to carbs, do I need the second fuel line? Not sure why the FI needed two, but will one 8mm SS line do the trick? Shall I just leave the fuel pump and filter up front? I see that some change the fuel pump to a rotary pump, but why? The pump that is there now is a one way in and one way out. Seems crazy to change that out.

the fuel injection system uses a return line. thats why there are two lines. one feed one return. so if you are going with carbs you will only need one line. i used -6 line on my car. i think its 3/8 ID. also if you still have the stock fuel pump, it is a high pressure fuel pump. i am running a low pressure facet fuel pump up front (will upgrade to a mallory when the facet dies). and you will need a low pressure regulator between the carbs and the pump. i have mine set at 2.5 psi.
Socalandy
more important than your pump and its placement is replacing the plastic lines in the tunnel to the stainless steel one's Tangerine and others make to prevent a leak and fire.

One of the members here suggested sleeving the SS lines in shrink wrap to prevent electrical arching if you were to have a frayed wire. I didnt hear this in time for my 72 but will do it on my 70 for sure!!
euro911
Be aware that the stock FI fuel pump can deliver more than 30psi. When running carbs, you need to run way less pressure.

If you don't want to replace the FI pump, feed the carb on one bank, then run a hose across the engine bay to feed the carb on the opposite bank, then a return hose to the fuel tank.

I don't like running pressure regulators. I've had a couple of supposedly good brands that were way too touchy and shut off, causing fuel hoses to blow. I ended up installing a new Carter 3.5 psi pump and ran a single feed hose. We blocked off the return fitting at the tank.

I agree with Andy's comment about covering SS lines with heat-shrink tubing - will be installing new SS lines in my '75 next week (hopefully).
ww914
Thanks for the quick replies people. Everything makes a little more sense now. Mark De B. suggested that I go ahead and put both lines back in while I have the engine out just in case me or someone else down the road wants to go back to FI. Probably not a bad idea. Oh, and thanks for the covering tip. I will just have to find a roll of shrink-wrap, I guess.
TheCabinetmaker
Not shrink wrap. Heat shrink.
ww914
Yes, heat shrink, that is what I meant. I'm just wondering if it comes in long pieces or a roll.
windforfun
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 8 2012, 06:35 AM) *

Yes, heat shrink, that is what I meant. I'm just wondering if it comes in long pieces or a roll.

Yes it does.
Black22
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Apr 30 2007, 09:01 PM) *

ugh so i got under there... and i dont know how to remove the spiral pins.

what tools are neccessary? im only replacing the boot and metal cover thing.

what grease is recommended for these btw?

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 8 2012, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 8 2012, 06:35 AM) *

Yes it does.

agree.gif Harbor Freight has long rolls of it for pretty cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.