Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compression numbers, how bummed out should I be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
I did a compression test and here are the results:

1 = 90psi
2 = 130psi
3 = 122psi
4 = 125psi

I did cylinder #1 twice, just to be sure. It was consistent at 90.

I wasn't experiencing any problems, I was just curious about the condition of the engine as I don't know any history on the car. #1 obviously is not up to snuff, but how bad is it? Don't venture far from home bad? or Rebuilding might give me some more horsepower bad?

Thanks,

Mike
JamesM
When was the last time you adjusted the valves?
mrholland2
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 7 2012, 04:56 PM) *

agree.gif I'm not "Mr. Mechanic", but that would seem to be a logical starting point. (And relatively inexpensive)
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 7 2012, 04:56 PM) *

agree.gif

That should be the first thing you do and then re-test.

This page features a beetle engine, but the procedure is EXACTLY the same:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/valve_adjust/

A couple other things to keep in mind about compression testing:

1. The motor should be warm for accurate readings (they will be lower cold)
2. You should have the throttle wide open when cranking (you will have low numbers if closed).
euro911
My wife's 71 1.7L idled poorly (hunting - Hi/Low pulsing) when we first acquired it. I installed new vacuum lines, new points & condenser, plugs and cleaned the trigger points, but that still didn't help with the erratic idle.

When I did a compression check, #1 & #2 were OK at 125, but #3 was 110 and #4 was only 85.

I found 3 & 4 were adjusted too tight (couldn't even get the feeler gauge in).

After adjusting, 3 & 4's readings came up to 120 and the car no longer hunted for a stable idle speed.
PDXMike
It hasn't been that many miles since I last adjusted the valves, but that was my first time so I wouldn't be surprised if I left one too tight.

I'll adjust the vales and re-check.

Thanks for the help!
DBCooper
After adjusting the valves if it's still low find where the loss is, from rings or valves. You can pressurize the cylinder (have an air compressor?) and listen in the intake and exhaust to see which is leaking. Or have someone do it for you. Valves are easier to fix than rings, but knowing which will make other larger decisions easier.
charliew
For a ring leak listen to the breather cap or oil filler cap with the air pressure test. Alsp putting light motor oil in the plug hole will reduce the ring leak. Never try to set a valve on the tight side. Gas motors usually run their smoothest with slightly loose valve settings.
PDXMike
Cylinder 1 intake was too tight. I adjusted everything and now I am between 120-130psi across the board. The idle even smoothed up a bit.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I assume it was too tight because I adjusted it incorrectly on my previous try. That was the first valve I adjusted on my first attempt, so a mistake seems very likely.
euro911
Glad to hear you found and fixed the problem beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.