Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aharder
My stock 1.8 exhaust drops down and heads toward the front of the engine and connects to the exhaust pipe and does a 180 towards the back of the car and connects to a Bursch Exhaust .
Click to view attachment

Do I get any of benefit if I change it to where the exhaust pipe drops down and heads towards the rear of the car and connect to a pipe that connects to the Bursch?

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That was done to accommodate the emissions requirements. Take that stuff off the car, and float test it. Replace it with a nice set of early 2.0 Heat Exchangers and a Bursch 2.0L muffler. You you will gain both horsepower and heat.

aharder
All of the emissions stuff has been gone for years biggrin.gif As you can see, no heat exchangers on the pipes. I'm in Texas and I don't need any Heat biggrin.gif

I'm thinking this set up allows more room to the valves.
euro911
I had thought of doing the same thing with the 75/76 exhaust manifolds, but decided to go with a set of early 2.0L manifolds with heat exchangers.

Since I'm getting older (and lost a lot of weight) I find that I don't like cold temperatures as much as I used to. Heat in the car is a wonderful thing, vs. optimum performance.

EDIT:
Finally found one of my old posts (on NARP) from early 2009:

"Bruce Stone provided me with a set at the 'So Cal All Porsche Swap Meet' last Sunday (Thanks Bruce) beerchug.gif ...

I've since blasted and painted them w/1200 deg paint (more to keep them from rusting than anything else) until I start modifying them.

The experiment will entail cutting off the 3-hole flanges, repositioning the exhaust port stud U-tabs if needed, mount the manifolds pointing backwards, extending the pipes back, welding on 2-hole flanges and mating up to a Triad 6-cylinder muffler system. The engine will be either a stock 2.0L or a 2056 ...
"
raw1298
I am doing the same thing except with a boxster muffler. You will have to mount to opposite head to get them to bolt up when you turn them around.
jimkelly
the drawback to this system is the the TOTAL I.D. is quite less than with earlier systems. i have a set of 2.0 steel without tin in the classifieds. see pics
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 7 2012, 09:34 PM) *

All of the emissions stuff has been gone for years biggrin.gif As you can see, no heat exchangers on the pipes. I'm in Texas and I don't need any Heat biggrin.gif

I'm thinking this set up allows more room to the valves.

Ok..you are here in the DFW area. I don't have a muffler, but I have a set of stock 2.0 heat exchangers I will give you if you want them. That offer includes everything I can find to install the heater pieces too. I have LOTS of parts.

Just come pick them up.

And heat is nice when it gets cold here. My six has heat on it and I intend to keep it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.