Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often do you look at your Master Cylinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
About a month ago I went for a drive and when I returned there was a puddle in the carport. It was near the front of the car and thought it may have been water that dripped off after the last drive in the rain. I put the car to bed for the winter and decided to deal with it after christmas

It was brake fluid! WTF.gif

First I thought it may have been a loose line but I havent experienced any brake issues. Then I figured it was the rubber where the tubes from the res. plug in, they were a bitch to get in. But they were intact.......on second thoughts.....see pic.

Click to view attachment

This is 6 years old. Anyone else seen this?
cwpeden
PS. its a 19mm Master. Are the tubes or rubbers different? I didnt change tubes when upgraded.
wingnut86
I thought the change to a 19mm precipitated a new bend or line, especially if its rubbing the wall - looks like it is...

Is the sheetmetal solid in that area?
cwpeden
I thought it was touching too, but I can see air between them. The metal is solid, thats just some surface rust where the undercoat has come off. The body guy that did some of the metal work hammered it flat thinking he was doing me a favour. Doh! Had dolly it back to where it was supposed to be.

Just the rubber is cracked for some reason.
wingnut86
I'm looking at the workshop manual and don't see any great visuals. I know my 1st one needed some relief when I 1st picked it up from the PO. Strain relief.

I still don't like the visible routing as it appears to put pressure right onto the top entry for the line. I would recommend you get a new line and an inexpensive tube bender and practice on the old piece until you get the proper curve and drop then make the new one to match it.

A poor man's bending tool is taking a handful of fine sand/prefer the finer grade, fill up a good 1/2 to 3/4 of the line and slowly start to bend it into the proper flow and bends. Copper is easier, stainless is a bit harder. when you make your 1st bend, you will feel the sand expanding towards the tubing ends but also keeping the volume in the bend compressed as you make the bend. You want to make sure you keep the sand in a compressed state inside the tubing as you bend so not to kink the line. Inexpensive wooden dowels from Home Depot, etc can be used to compress each end of the line.
cwpeden
I know what you mean about the routing. There is a recess in the body to accomodate. I can slide a couple sheets of paper between the two. Of course being a machinist thats a mile!
Valy
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 8 2012, 06:54 PM) *

I know what you mean about the routing. There is a recess in the body to accomodate. I can slide a couple sheets of paper between the two. Of course being a machinist thats a mile!

I bet that when you hit the brakes that gap disappears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.