Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: in need of the worlds engine builders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i am tearing down a core engine to rebuild as a backup engine. the engine code is EC002875. its a 1.8 i believe. this engine has been open at least once. i know that for sure. i split the case and removed the crank, cam, blah blah, blah. but as i was stripping everything to get it ready for cleaning i hit a snag. now i have never tore down or rebuilt a type 4 before so please excuse my ignorance. plenty of type ones tho.

as i was pulling out the bearing dowels the last one was kinda tough. the double thrust bearing by the flywheel. of course instead of just leaving it alone i had to bugger it up so bad that i had to drill it out. thinking i'll just replace it with another dowel right? big deal, i have plenty of dowels if they are the same as type 1's....but this dowel looked odd..... like it is stepped....
the exploded engine parts diagram dosnt give this dowel its own part number. in fact it give a quantity of 5 so its safe to assume all the dowels are the same, right?

heres a picture of the dowel in question....

IPB Image

if youll notice in the lower left hand corner of the picture a little black broken ring. it is made of plastic and was wrapped around the inner step. like some sort of shim or sleeve.

here is a picture of a normal dowel

IPB Image

here is a picture of the normal dowel in the bearing. its obvious the normal dowel is way too small.

IPB Image

and a photo of the normal dowel in the case. again, way to small.

IPB Image

now im dead in the water till i figure out my next move.....are these oversized dowels common? are they available? or should i start looking for another case?

ConeDodger
Dowels are 5 bucks a set at EBS...
mrbubblehead
i have plenty of dowels. type 1 and type 4's are the same. its this oversized dowel, the one i had to drill out. the 6mm one. any ideas where i can locate a 6mm dowel? is this normal?
Jake Raby
Yep, its a stepped dowel.. That engine had an issue that was remedied long ago. Usually a spun main leads to this repair.
wingnut86
Jake, does a line boring get the oversized dowels as well?

I'm pulling my crank tomorrow on an older and underloved 2.0 and want to be prepared...

Dave
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 8 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Yep, its a stepped dowel.. That engine had an issue that was remedied long ago. Usually a spun main leads to this repair.
thanks jake, i took the case by a fellow teener and he said the same thing. do you sell an oversized dowel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.