Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Steering column bearing upgrades?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Click to view attachmentWhen I took the steering wheel off the car the other day (was going to install a Momo Prototipo wheel) the steering shaft bearing assembly has apparently failed (ball bearings "loose" and several missing).

When this part is new is it all contained (meaning the small ball bearings are not "loose"? Next question "is there any sort of upgrade that eliminates this part and replaces it with a poly bushing similar to the replacement part on the newer 911 steering column"?

The attached picture shows the failed part as #6 (I know 914-6 parts are expensive but WOW this bearing is +/- $250.00).

Thanks,
A&PGirl
David,

1st thing: Put all the bearing pieces in a zip lock baggy.

2nd: When you have time this week, stop at your local bearing house and show them that bearing. If it is available they could probably get it or tell you how to get it.

It looks like there is a place called OBM Bearings in Odessa and 2-3 Bearing Houses in Midland (google search). I would check your phone book for phone #'s and addresses.

Carrie
laflaur
Hey David,
There is a guy on the bird board that makes a replacement insert for the column.
Let me do a search...
dakotaewing
QUOTE(david63 @ Jan 9 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Click to view attachmentWhen I took the steering wheel off the car the other day (was going to install a Momo Prototipo wheel) the steering shaft bearing assembly has apparently failed (ball bearings "loose" and several missing).

When this part is new is it all contained (meaning the small ball bearings are not "loose"? Next question "is there any sort of upgrade that eliminates this part and replaces it with a poly bushing similar to the replacement part on the newer 911 steering column"?

The attached picture shows the failed part as #6 (I know 914-6 parts are expensive but WOW this bearing is +/- $250.00).

Thanks,

I would be surprised if this part is any different on a 4 than a six...
If you are really on a tight budget, place a WTB in the classifieds...
I am sure someone can pull one off a parts car...
The other option is to see if this is a common bearing and try to buy one from paccar once you figure out what other cars this bearing fits -
This is the first time I have heard of such a failure in 15 years of being familar with these cars -
laflaur
David,
go to pelican parts and do a search for Mitch Leland,I searched in the 911 tech form,because /6's have 911 steering columns.
He makes a product that should help
david63
Thanks all for the replies. It is strange to me as well. What I mean is that I have never seen a bearing set up like this one? I am out of town for a couple of days but will try to take a picture of the remains and put that here. Looking forward to checking into the upgrade ideas.

Thanks again for the ideas.
John
It's a really bad designed bearing. It is not found in any 4-cyl steering column. It is almost an early 911 steering column and that bearing is the same as the early (up to 73 911's).

The item referred to, that is sold is a plastic retainer that applies pressure to the inner bearing race. A spring then applies pressure to the plastic retainer. If the balls have fallen out of your bearing and you can't get them back in place, you may be facing trying to source a replacement somehow. This isn't a bearing that a bearing supplier would be able to easily source as it is a custom bearing.

I wish you the best of luck. Please post pictures when you get a chance.
david63
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentFinally got back in town. Took a picture of the bearing and the spring.

Hoping I can get a picture of a replacement "upgrade" plastic bushing or some other "fix" instead of going back with the bearing.

When it is installed it will require a lot of care and grease to keep the balls in place (they will want to fall into the steering column - if any of those little bearings go down the steering wheel housing it will be a *&^%$ to get them out) once the bearing is landed and the spring and steering wheel are on it wil hold the bearing in place and the balls will be trapped between a raised area on the shaft and the bearing housing.

What a crappy design. I am going to hold off on ordering the original $200 bearing until I hear from some of you on the possible upgrades (plastic bushings) that I might try.

Thanks,
ClayPerrine
I had the same problem...

Take the column out and work on it on the bench so you can dump the dropped bearings out of the column. Pack the bearings in wheel bearing grease to make them sticky so they stay in place.

John
I was never able to get the outer race out of my column and I did give up pretty easily because I didn't want to damage my $200 bearing. If I would have gotten it out, I was going to attempt to match it up at a bearing house. If you can get your outer race out of the housing, you may be able to get someone to match it.

I don't know how you will attempt to get the outer race out of the housing without pulling your whole column out.

If you are able to find a match for the bearing (or find some other solution) I'm sure the 1973 and earlier 911 guys would want to know about it.

I filled my bearing with heavy duty grease, and so far, so good.
1TRICK6
YO
phatnine11
QUOTE(1TRICK6 @ Jan 23 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Here's a pic of that bearing new.
I had up/down slop in my steering wheel and thought it was the bearing but it
turned out all I needed was a plastic bushing I ordered from Pelican.
The plastic bushing is not even listed in the 914-6 parts manual. Not sure if you can just use the plastic bushing in lieu of the metal bearing, I got both of them in there now, along with the spring.

Jimmy,
Cesar here. We took auto shop one summer at Alhambra High. How are you, long time no talk. PM when you get a chance dude. Good to see you still have the Orange killer machine!
Phatnine11
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.