Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences in the original 914-6 engine lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I have looked at a few engine lids including the "original one" shown on the Pelican originality list but this on has one difference that I have not seen on any of the ones I have looked at!? Maybe it is not original but it came off of an original car but the torsion springs had been remove due to a cracked hinge on the firewall.

Does anyone else have these tabs on there engine lids? They look like they could hold a screen or wire of some sort? here are some photos of the tabs and the lid!

If these are something different I would like to know! beerchug.gif

carr914
My 18,000 Mile -6 has piece of metal there but not the long tabs

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 9 2012, 04:20 PM) *

My 18,000 Mile -6 has piece of metal there but not the long tabs

Click to view attachment

Thats interesting!!? Maybe a PO removed them? I cant imagin with only 18,000 miles they would have removed them but the fact that you have the weld tap is as interesting as the tabs on mine! My 75 doesn't have the weld tabs and I have looked at a few other years and they don't have them either! confused24.gif
sean_v8_914
that 18000 mile lid has obviously been repainted. the originals never had 100% color coverage on teh underside nor would the latch be painted. safe to say it had the tabs once upon a time
...but what are they for?
My 71 Four has them,they hold up the rain tray..
Jeffs9146
My rain tray was screwed into my 75 and my 75 doesn't even have the tab or any sign of it being removed!
pete000
Early rain tray retainer?

Six cars just did not get the tray installed due to the air cleaner box.

Later rain tray was redesigned causing the tabs to go away ?

I was not aware of any other differences between the six and four engine lids...?

Jeffs9146
Early rain tray retainer?

That makes sense! So when do we think they stopped using the tabs?

I also read that the torsion springs are not as strong on the 6's due to the weight of the rain try no being present, at least acording to Pelican!

mskala
I seriously doubt those were present on 6's. This is from my '70.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
toolguy
My original six is similar to the orage lid. . I can see where the tabs were. . there is still a small piece there but not the long tab. . looks like they were cut off or bent off but they are painted over. . . i wonder if the factory cut off the tabs on the six's. . . i
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 9 2012, 06:50 PM) *

My original six is similar to the orage lid. . I can see where the tabs were. . there is still a small piece there but not the long tab. . looks like they were cut off or bent off but they are painted over. . . i wonder if the factory cut off the tabs on the six's. . . i

I am wondering that also! Did the factory have lids preped as 6 lids and some remove the tabs or did the dealer say "we don't need those"?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(mskala @ Jan 9 2012, 06:15 PM) *

I seriously doubt those were present on 6's. This is from my '70.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

My 75 looks closer to yours!! confused24.gif

Thats why I am asking, have we come up with another "sometimes we do and sometimes we dont" on the 6's or does it matter?? CCW???? confused24.gif Judges??? confused24.gif
Socalandy
I have an original -6 lid with the stickers and all, I will look and see if it has these tabs or not.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 9 2012, 07:25 PM) *

I have an original -6 lid with the stickers and all, I will look and see if it has these tabs or not.

aktion035.gif

Lets see what comes out of this!!
pete000
OK, now what is this tab for or do? Is this a six only item?

My 4 or 6 does not have it.
Dave_Darling
That rubber tab was used at least up through 73, I think all 914s may have had it?

It is to keep the rear deck lid from hitting the engine lid when both are open.

--DD
gandalf_025
This is the lid from # 619..
Tab bases are there.
I know they weren't broken off by a previous owner..

Seeing rust on the ends makes me wonder if they were broken off though ?

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 9 2012, 07:35 PM) *

that 18000 mile lid has obviously been repainted. the originals never had 100% color coverage on teh underside nor would the latch be painted. safe to say it had the tabs once upon a time
...but what are they for?

Yes the Lid has been painted when the whole car was done, but I doubt the whole tabs were there when it left the Factory
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 9 2012, 03:56 PM) *

I have looked at a few engine lids including the "original one" shown on the Pelican originality list but this on has one difference that I have not seen on any of the ones I have looked at!? Maybe it is not original but it came off of an original car but the torsion springs had been remove due to a cracked hinge on the firewall.

Does anyone else have these tabs on there engine lids? They look like they could hold a screen or wire of some sort? here are some photos of the tabs and the lid!

Offhand, I'd say 4cyl. lid
The foil stickers are arranged 90 degrees off, the missing ones seem to have been wrong too. No sticker over battery.
Tabs to hold a rain tray that was never used on 6s
But manufacturers are known to use what they have on hand.....
The blue lid in one of the replies appears repainted from white and the stickers are spaced away from each other.
Check attached pics of orig green lid and restored orange lid . No tabs on either.
Will check a third lid that is orig as well.

pics of 6 eng lids
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 10 2012, 10:03 AM) *

The foil stickers are arranged 90 degrees off, the missing ones seem to have been wrong too. No sticker over battery.
The blue lid in one of the replies appears repainted from white and the stickers are spaced away from each other.
Check attached pics of orig green lid and restored orange lid . No tabs on either.

pics of 6 eng lids

My lid was a repaint from paint code 80 silver metalic to black so who knows what they did with the stickers! Also mine doesn't have the screw holes for the rain tray so it couldn't have had one!
Mikey914
That is a bumper that keeps the rear trunk from contacting the engine deck lid.
Got those of you need one. Most are broken off as the heat and time took thier toll.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 10 2012, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 10 2012, 10:03 AM) *

pics of 6 eng lids

My lid was a repaint from paint code 80 silver metalic to black so who knows what they did with the stickers! Also mine doesn't have the screw holes for the rain tray so it couldn't have had one!

Didn't early rain trays have those tabs holding the rear edge ? and 3" alum. straps holding the front edge ?.... the straps were pop riveted to the tray on one end and attached to the grill studs on the other end.
Later trays were attached with Phillips head machine screws that threaded into nuts that were welded to the underside of the lid.

Jeffs9146
Didn't early rain trays have those tabs holding the rear edge ? and 3" alum. straps holding the front edge ?.... the straps were pop riveted to the tray on one end and attached to the grill studs on the other end.

I still haven't seen one from an earlier car with the rain tray installed so I don't know!
Socalandy
No tab or sign of one and some pics. I noticed there are no threaded holes on the cross brace on this -6 lid and torrsion bars are a smaller diam.
Socalandy
and a few reference pictures since this lid will be media blaster before it turns Canary yellow for my car popcorn[1].gif
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 10 2012, 11:43 AM) *

I still haven't seen one from an earlier car with the rain tray installed so I don't know!

Here is the rain tray w/tabs on my 71-4..

Click to view attachment
sixerdon
Of my two /6's, #0137 has the broken tab bases. The other, #0876 does not. This tells me they were mixed up during the assembly process.......grab the lid lying on top, snip off the tabs for the /6's. It seems the later the VIN on a /6, the less likely the tab bases were still there?
Don
Jeffs9146
Yes I am begining to think this is more of a random thing than a 6 or 4 thing! Maybe all 4's have the tabs and all 6's are random! blink.gif WTF.gif

morph
i did alittle research into this. biggrin.gif the tabs was a after thought in production because the rain tray warped on the early ones.so they went crap we need to fix this.installed tabs.then they redesigned the rain tray with ribs to stop the warping.but the rear facing flat part was still bending.so they corrected it with tabs again.
my 70 914 4 dont have tabs because its a very early one.4702902344
so my guess is that they all didnt have tabs for a few months .then they started putting tabs on all of the trays and just cut off the ones for 914 6 after that.
james
914 ap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.