Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't get the cone screw out...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
No luck getting out the cone screw...can I pull the transmission selector and then pull everything out the back of the car?

Pulling Transmission Selector - Pelican
76-914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 9 2012, 04:40 PM) *

No luck getting out the cone screw...can I pull the transmission selector and then pull everything out the back of the car?

yes
billh1963
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 10 2012, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 9 2012, 04:40 PM) *

yes

That's the new plan.... evilgrin.gif
SUNAB914
Your going to have a rough time parting out cars! Just kidding..
Don't forget to drain the trans before you pull that selector.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 10 2012, 02:23 PM) *

Your going to have a rough time parting out cars! Just kidding..
Don't forget to drain the trans before you pull that selector.

I have this fantasy view of the world where all nuts/bolts are fresh and shiny. This 914 is bringing me back to reality! lol-2.gif
I looked underneath my 997 and was admiring the cleanliness of it all...and then I looked under this 914. It's amazing what a 30 year difference (1976 vs, 2006) in automotive technology looks like!

I found a thread where someone else pulled the transmision selector....I guess they got a gear oil bath.... barf.gif

I'll be draining the transmission for sure.
jaxdream
Bill , be sure to get the FILL plug out also , if you drain it , you have to fill it back up. Them plugs can be a PITA sometimes. Good Luck .

Jack
billh1963
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 11 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Bill , be sure to get the FILL plug out also , if you drain it , you have to fill it back up. Them plugs can be a PITA sometimes. Good Luck .

Jack

Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing that for sure. Makes sense! It's a 17mm allen head?

Bill
J P Stein
If one s working on old cars or other implements of destruction a set of reverse twist drill bits is a good investment.....$nap On sells some. I bought a set 10-12 years back but have only used a few sizes maybe 5-6 times.

Sometimes (seldom) the offending bolt/stud/whatever backs out while drilling.
I can see a cone screw being the ideal candidate for these drills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.