Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 20,000 dollars on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914newguy
Was looking at 914's on Ebay came across this nice one. I spoke with dealer who said iis going for 20k just wondering if some of you with more knowleadge know if this is a fair price for this car...thanks...This is a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0L with 136,324 miles on the odometer but only 15,000 since completion of an extensive and fully documented, three year restoration. The car is painted Porsche Lapis Blue Metallic with a black vinyl interior and is in perfect condition.

This is one heck of a car that has been completely refurbished, significantly upgraded and meticulously maintained across the board; the photographs tell the story. Look at the extent of the work done and the care that was taken when re-assembling this beautiful 914; nothing was overlooked or left to chance.

Invoices for all work described (and much more) are available. This vintage Porsche has undergone a multi-year restoration. The car was completely disassembled and placed on a rotisserie. The body was striped to bare metal via media blasting with baking soda. The bare shell and all components were then sprayed with a zinc enriched etching primer. All metal work was old school metal shaping - there is no bondo or filler in this body. Finish paint is a modern Porsche Lapis Blue Metallic, three color coats and three clear coats, wet sanded and buffed out. All rubber bits, grommets, seals, etc. are NOS OEM ; exterior passenger side mirror added; fog lights upgraded to Pilot driving lights which are switched independently from headlights; new front and rear bumper pads. All suspension parts were also completely disassembled, sand blasted and then powder coated. All new suspension components - front and rear OEM Porsche anti-sway bars, Koni adjustable sport shocks, Eibach 100 lb. springs, turbo tie rods, Elephant Racing Control Arm Mounts, Elephant Racing Poly Bronze Bearings; all new OEM rubber seals, gaskets and grommets; all brake calipers rebuilt; 911 19mm master brake cylinder; pedal box rebuilt by Eric Shea; all wiring harnesses rebuilt and repaired by Jeff Bowlsby of San Jose, CA; new dash pad (OEM) and new German carpet set from Autos International; engine completely rebuilt and upgraded - block was hot tanked and all new galley plugs installed, crank was ground and brushed; rods rebuilt, new 96mm high compression pistons and cylinders, Jake Raby cam; heads received Super Stock service from Al Hoffman in Atlanta, GA (new guides, seats, valves, HD springs, chromoly retainers, HD rocker studs, HD exhaust studs, ground keepers, etc.) Petronix igniter, new throttle position switch, re-calibrated Manifold Pressure Sensor by Geoff Bartelmes; new alternator, new voltage regulator, Chris Foley jet coated Evo headers into Quiet Can, Chris Foley metal fuel lines from tank to engine.

We have priced this vehicle to provide you the best deal on a car of this caliber. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...984.m1438.l2649

* * * Click Photos to Enlarge * * *
Cevan
Ummmm, wrong forum. beer.gif

Try the Classifieds.
914newguy
oops sorry
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(914newguy @ Jan 10 2012, 12:50 AM) *

Was looking at 914's on Ebay came across this nice one. I spoke with dealer who said iis going for 20k just wondering if some of you with more knowleadge know if this is a fair price for this car...thanks...This is a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0L with 136,324 miles on the odometer but only 15,000 since completion of an extensive and fully documented, three year restoration. The car is painted Porsche Lapis Blue Metallic with a black vinyl interior and is in perfect condition.

This is one heck of a car that has been completely refurbished, significantly upgraded and meticulously maintained across the board; the photographs tell the story. Look at the extent of the work done and the care that was taken when re-assembling this beautiful 914; nothing was overlooked or left to chance.

Invoices for all work described (and much more) are available. This vintage Porsche has undergone a multi-year restoration. The car was completely disassembled and placed on a rotisserie. The body was striped to bare metal via media blasting with baking soda. The bare shell and all components were then sprayed with a zinc enriched etching primer. All metal work was old school metal shaping - there is no bondo or filler in this body. Finish paint is a modern Porsche Lapis Blue Metallic, three color coats and three clear coats, wet sanded and buffed out. All rubber bits, grommets, seals, etc. are NOS OEM ; exterior passenger side mirror added; fog lights upgraded to Pilot driving lights which are switched independently from headlights; new front and rear bumper pads. All suspension parts were also completely disassembled, sand blasted and then powder coated. All new suspension components - front and rear OEM Porsche anti-sway bars, Koni adjustable sport shocks, Eibach 100 lb. springs, turbo tie rods, Elephant Racing Control Arm Mounts, Elephant Racing Poly Bronze Bearings; all new OEM rubber seals, gaskets and grommets; all brake calipers rebuilt; 911 19mm master brake cylinder; pedal box rebuilt by Eric Shea; all wiring harnesses rebuilt and repaired by Jeff Bowlsby of San Jose, CA; new dash pad (OEM) and new German carpet set from Autos International; engine completely rebuilt and upgraded - block was hot tanked and all new galley plugs installed, crank was ground and brushed; rods rebuilt, new 96mm high compression pistons and cylinders, Jake Raby cam; heads received Super Stock service from Al Hoffman in Atlanta, GA (new guides, seats, valves, HD springs, chromoly retainers, HD rocker studs, HD exhaust studs, ground keepers, etc.) Petronix igniter, new throttle position switch, re-calibrated Manifold Pressure Sensor by Geoff Bartelmes; new alternator, new voltage regulator, Chris Foley jet coated Evo headers into Quiet Can, Chris Foley metal fuel lines from tank to engine.

We have priced this vehicle to provide you the best deal on a car of this caliber. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...984.m1438.l2649

Boy, it sure looks like it could be worth this and maybe more.

Wouldn't take a whole lot of elbow grease to get this thing to spiff up nicely for the next concours.

The finsih on it looks pretty great from the photos and barring any thing that does'nt transmit well on camera and by pc mode, shouldn't keep this from being a true beauty that could hold its head high in all circles.

GREAT find !
EdwardBlume
I would see this car go for $15M easy. Not bad for a non stock colored 2.0 /4... beer.gif
Cairo94507
Wow, accepting all that is said at face value, that car is worth 17.5K. The only thing I question is the color change to a non MY color. But it is a beautiful car no doubt.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(914newguy @ Jan 9 2012, 07:56 PM) *

oops sorry

Are you the seller or are you asking for opinions about the value/price?
dlkawashima
Looks nice, but for sure there are some nit picky, nickel & dime things that would need to be changed to make it concours quality.
For example, the driver's seat is actually a passenger seat:
IPB Image
RickS
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 9 2012, 09:32 PM) *

Looks nice, but for sure there are some nit picky, nickel & dime things that would need to be changed to make it concours quality.
For example, the driver's seat is actually a passenger seat:
IPB Image

Cause the driver seat, now the passanger seat, is split and patched and probably broken down. You would think that if they are asking top dollar they would have found a replacement seat or had it recovered.
johannes
Wrong color, passenger seat is torn... and I hate those small tyres. 15000$ car
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 10 2012, 12:21 AM) *

Dash face vinyl is peeling off ... Bumper tits are missing ... Sidemarkers deleted ...

At least it looks like they took care of the rust.
But for that amount of money, i would expect a concourse example.
popcorn[1].gif

PS: I think it's your typical dealer over-hyping a car. And for all we know "914newguy" might just be the dealer trying to drum up some business ...
johannes
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2012, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 10 2012, 12:21 AM) *

Dash face vinyl is peeling off ... Bumper tits are missing ... Sidemarkers deleted ...

At least it looks like they took care of the rust.
But for that amount of money, i would expect a concourse example.
popcorn[1].gif

PS: I think it's your typical dealer over-hyping a car. And for all we know "914newguy" might just be the dealer trying to drum up some business ...

Just noticed the car has no heating system ... Not even 15000 worth ! ...

SGB
very pretty. $12.5k.
JmuRiz
That tach looks off to me too. Nice car, even nicer exhaust! It's always the small details that drive me nuts when someone is asking top dollar.
jim_hoyland
Car is listed in VIN database and the previous owner posted extensively on this site:

See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=61545&hl=

for a lot of information regarding the restoration, owner was William Harris

IPB Image
sixerdon
This is the same dealer/broker that was selling the $70,000 914/6 a few months back. The /6 eventually was sold by Paul Russell for $80k. There are several members who live nearby if they wanted to go look at it. Don't be surprised if it sells close to asking...........
Don
sixerdon
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 10 2012, 08:04 AM) *

Car is listed in VIN database and the previous owner posted extensively on this site:

For a lot of information regarding the restoration

Yes, I couldn't remember the guys name. That is his car. Maybe he will respond to this thread.....
Don
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jan 10 2012, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 10 2012, 08:04 AM) *

For a lot of information regarding the restoration

Yes, I couldn't remember the guys name. That is his car. Maybe he will respond to this thread.....
Don

William Harris....
Ferg
For 20k I would expect much better...

Lots of surface rust on everything except the newly painted chassis, if you went that far on the chassis why not the easy stuff while it's apart. Makes you wonder what else was skipped.

Ferg
RiqueMar
It's certainly nice, but not perfect. For 20k, I'de expect perfect.
broomhandle
Mine is the same color, and was 4 colors before dark met blue... does that mean mine is worth 15k? ill let anybody have it for 14k... ill be nice....

Thestigz06
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 10 2012, 09:22 AM) *

It's certainly nice, but not perfect. For 20k, I'de expect perfect.

agree.gif Very nice car but it has backdated bumpers and im not sure if its an OG color. I just dont see it going for the same as the zonker. Id say 12-15k
IronHillRestorations
Imagine how nice it would look with a light tan interior!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jan 9 2012, 07:53 PM) *

Ummmm, wrong forum. beer.gif

Try the Classifieds.

No Chris - this IS the right forum, since he's asking our advice on a 914 he's looking to buy that happens to be on evil-bay.

Classifieds is only for the sellers or someone referring to other sellers' ads - although even those referrals get posted in the Garage, apparently legally.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 10 2012, 11:57 AM) *
apparently legally.

Legally? What, you joined law enforcement? confused24.gif

As for the OP post/thread, there's nothing inherently wrong with asking advice about a car for sale here in the garage.
popcorn[1].gif
Chris Pincetich
well, since my 914 is not as nice, I hope they get $30,000 for that one!
Then, mine will be worth $20k
happy11.gif
And, I am sure I will still be able to get my next 914 project for under $2000 and start all over beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914newguy @ Jan 9 2012, 07:56 PM) *

oops sorry

Don't worry, you're in exactly the right place for what you posted. Cevan/Chris either misunderstood, misread or didn't read your initial post.

For what it's worth, here are my IMHO thoughts on it.... biggrin.gif

1. Is it really a factory 2.0? Since so many have been upgraded to to 2L motors, you need to see a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche, or go on their website & call their 800 number and ask them to check what their records show, & what options it originally had on it while your at it. (If you call, then first see the links at Bowlsby's website for model numbers for 1974 2.0 vs. 1.8 914s & have that ready when you call so they can confirm what they have on their "Kardex" record for model number.)

2. What options did it originally have as above? I see a center console with an incorrect Oil Temp Gauge with the wide red band, whereas in 74-76 they went to a +/- 1/2" thin red band type. I also see the non-appearance group center storage box (missing it's cushion/cover BTW), instead of the hinged lid/cushion which should have come with the center console. (see links at bottom for more info on options, eqpt., etc.). (see my note & pix of old ads below on this subject)

3. The instrument pod shows 2 types of gauges, whereas the 74-76 MYs used the black center gauges with a single turn signal indicator light, and the 70-73 used the silver center type with 2 L&R TS lights (some late 73s & early 74's may have had the opposite type - but never mixed like this), so the gauges aren't original to the 914. .....perhaps the restorer's personal preference?

4. The mileage may or may not be correct. Unless there is a continuous, consistent & unbroken chain of service documents/etc. which clearly shows the build-up of miles on any car - especially one with a 5 digit odometer - then assume that it may not be correct (and probably isn't). Seller says there is tons of documents, but not if there are to substantiate that low of a mileage, since at 10k per year it would rack up 380k miles + or - whatever annual miles variances over its 38 years (not that there aren't documented actual low mile 914s, just see the Originality Forum's "The few, the rare...." nailed topic for known examples, my buddy has a true <61k 71 he's owned since new).

5. Proper restoration, refurb, care & detailing is lacking for a 914 at this price, e.g.: the Fuchs 2L wheels look just cleaned but not nicely maintained nor restored, the seats are torn & either it is a passenger seat on the left or the seat shell is tweaked out of position, the undercarriage/engine/suspension has either rusted & deteriorated since it's 2006+/- restoration - or were not done in the first place & then what else wasn't properly done as noted above?

6. It's a mildly modified 914 - most of which is either not a deal killer for those who buy original 914s at top dollar prices (e.g.: the 2056 with stock EFI would pass with all but the most strict CWs), or else can be easily restored to original - such as: finding a proper radio & installing it (rather than that bad blank-out of bulging dash vinyl), anodizing or painting the rear badges back to satin black, & putting the proper F & R bumper guards ("tits") on those 74 chrome bumpers.

7. However,

8. Also, the color change from stock OE color (whatever that was) in the 2006+/- resto would require another full resto to take it back to the original paint color at great cost. If someone really-really likes a certain color, then more power to them if they repaint it to non-original, but they cannot expect that the marketplace & CWs to pay for it on resale. I researched pricing/values on color changed 914 resto's, faced with a similar dilemma for my resto of my 73 2L which was originally L80E Light Ivory (white), while I would've ordered one new in either Alaska, Marathon or a Porsche or custom match Metallic blue from the factory. My informal survey in `09-`10 came up with roughly a 40-60% value loss if I repainted mine to a blue instead of original white! If you like the color as much as this guy (or any color changed 914), then it's your choice - just make sure you're not paying concours prices for the 914.

9. A number of other things have been changed - which if all added up for the parts alone will exceed the sales price in all probability (assuming they aren't in boxes & sold with the car). One of the members here more or less correctly stated elsewhere something like: '....the only way to get a 914 worth $20k is to spend $50k!"

10. This is a resto completed in Oct. 2006 after 40 months of work, so that's around early 2003 it was started; & it was then used by the seller for about 5+ years up to now (good for him BTW! biggrin.gif driving.gif ) - so it's bound to have some condition issues which will need to be addressed by the buyer in the next few years, including perhaps some paint chipping, etc. (SoCal sun will be harsher on paint than his MA summers). Who knows what else that was or was not done in 03-06 will need to be done soon too.

Bottom line IMHO - this is not a $20k 914 - even if it proves out to be an original 74 914-2.0 per Porsche/PCNA COA. More like a $10-15k nice 6-8 point car in the low to mid-range of the NADA & Excellence values below.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values

Unfortunately this group sells on consignment and IIRC does not negotiate much if at all on price, so you may have to continue your search.

Also to check on what was supposed to be original on various MY's 914s - use this website' Originality & History Forum, the one at 914club.com and....

p914.com

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

... and Jeff Bowlsby's (or one he found) condition assessment form here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

> NOTE: Most of the 73 MY 914-2.0's - and probably all of the USA's early 73 MY sold from Aug. 72 up to about Jan-March 73 - would have come "loaded" with all of the options for the Appearance (Comfort) Group (chrome bumpers with driving/fog lights, dual tone horns [2 horns L & R], vinyl & chrome trim on the sails & rollbar, center console with clock/OT/voltmeter, center storage box with hinged lid/cushion/seat, leather covered steering wheel & shifter boot, loop pile carpets), and Performance (Sport) Group options (a full set of 5 Fuchs 2 Liter forged lightweight aluminum alloy wheels, front & rear anti-sway bars).

Starting in 74 MY through 76 these all became extra cost options & groups, except that most often 76 MY 2.0s were loaded to get rid of parts, jack up the price & get the few 4,000 of them sold off, and except that some 2nd half MY 73 2.0s were "de-contented" to offer at a lower "teaser price" since the DM was escalating so fast against the dollar that the early loaded 914-2.0s ("914 S") started at $5299 West Coast POE in Aug/Sept 72, and had risen to the $7600 range by June 73 (dlkawashima above has a late 73 MY without the full options - the orange one in his avatar pic).

Compare the text on options/equipment included these early 73 MY "914 S" vs. 74 MY "914 2.0" ads:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2012, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 10 2012, 11:57 AM) *
apparently legally.

Legally? What, you joined law enforcement? confused24.gif

As for the OP post/thread, there's nothing inherently wrong with asking advice about a car for sale here in the garage.
popcorn[1].gif

Just a generic wording "legally" Andy - my meaning that the others' posts were deemed within the Forum's rules & admin's oversight.... poke.gif biggrin.gif

...but you have confirmed my point to 914newguy about asking advice here. Thanx!
Drums66
....They try to Dazzle you with a bunch of pic's of the car(same)..But no
Ducat shots(engine compartment) confused24.gif idea.gif (very few)
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
This is a 914world member's 74 914-2.0 currently on evil-bay right now at a much lower start bid price for comparison (2011 repainted original color IIRC).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RTQ:MOTORS:1123

shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
That's Scott's car. He gets his hands on some really cool cars drooley.gif ..... and then sells them blink.gif
914newguy
First off I like to thank everyone for responding to my question.My not knowing too much about 914 and waiting some opinons before dropping that kind of cash on car and feeling dumb later.
thought I would take it to a more keen eye......I love the fourms and all the good advie and opinions you can get once again big thanks to all 914 brothers...! big thanks for the info TomT
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 10 2012, 12:38 PM) *

happy11.gif
And, I am sure I will still be able to get my next 914 project for under $2000 and start all over beerchug.gif

Next project? idea.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 10 2012, 12:38 PM) *

happy11.gif

Next project? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.