Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
Can the cap head bolt on the right be used to replace an exhaust stud? Bad idea?

Thanks, Elliot
nathansnathan
To use a stud would harm the aluminum thread in the head less, as the stud is already seated when the force is applied to torque it. Plus with a stud you don't need to take it out unless it breaks.

It's a real sour feeling when those threads come out. I've got one that's stripped on my spare motor. Being a 1.7, it's 8mm/8mm stock so I can maybe do the 1.8 9mm/8mm on it.

-- which brings another point about using bolts; it is only the 1.7 engines that have straight studs? -I may be wrong about that last part.
Elliot Cannon
The 9mm sounds like a good idea. This stud keeps vibratiing loose. I'd rather not pull the head off unless I have to.
Cheers, Elliot
JamesM
I discoverd a PO had does this to one of my cars, it worked fine while it was in there but its all jacked up now. Be sending my heads to HAM soon to fix it properly.

If the threads in the head are still intact why not try loctite or something to keep the stud from working loose?

aharder
My heads are currently at the Head Shop getting a new set of Step Down Studs
M10 X M8 x 65MM. I might have to use a couple of washer on it due to the overall length. biggrin.gif

Oh Yea, Mine is a 1.8 and it had M8.
Elliot Cannon
It looks like I'll try a new stud, the threads on my old one are a bit worn. If that doesn't work it looks like I'll be pulling the head off and having a pro take care of it. While I'm in there, maybe I'll just have both heads rebuilt. Sure, why not huh? laugh.gif
sfrenck
Slight hijack - can the 9mm x 8mm studs just be threaded in (since my 8's are loose) or should the holes be tapped first?
Dave_Darling
If you're doing that, the hole should be drilled and tapped to M9. Not much drilling actually required, but I think there is some.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.