Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does this red light mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914.SBC
I drove this litttle beast for the first time at night this past weekend. When I turned the lights on, this red light came on. I am sure it is a dumb yet easy question, but I have no idea what the light means.
JawjaPorsche
Broken belt, fried alternator or voltage regulator.

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jan 11 2012, 10:55 AM) *

I drove this litttle beast for the first time at night this past weekend. When I turned the lights on, this red light came on. I am sure it is a dumb yet easy question, but I have no idea what the light means.
914.SBC
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 11 2012, 08:00 AM) *

Thank you sir. I guess I will just pull the gauge out and disconnect the idiot light. I have a V8 conversion so the alternator is not hooked up to the idiot light. I knew it was simple. Thanks again...much appreciated.
cary
I'd check for a short. Maybe something that was modified during the conversion has come uncovered.
pdlightning
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jan 11 2012, 08:05 AM) *

Thank you sir. I guess I will just pull the gauge out and disconnect the idiot light. I have a V8 conversion so the alternator is not hooked up to the idiot light. I knew it was simple. Thanks again...much appreciated.

Do you have a SBC or LS conversion? If injected, it may be in the wire loom changes or ?
914.SBC
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Jan 11 2012, 10:28 PM) *

Do you have a SBC or LS conversion? If injected, it may be in the wire loom changes or ?

Its a SBC conversion. I figured out what I did. When I did the conversion, the Porsche wiring harness was all Greek to me. I rewired the car with GM colors so I would know what goes where, etc. I hooked up up that idiot light to the headlight switch so it comes on when I turn the headlights on. Everything is all good.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jan 12 2012, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Jan 11 2012, 10:28 PM) *

Its a SBC conversion. I figured out what I did. When I did the conversion, the Porsche wiring harness was all Greek to me. I rewired the car with GM colors so I would know what goes where, etc. I hooked up up that idiot light to the headlight switch so it comes on when I turn the headlights on. Everything is all good.

You should wire it back into the alternator. The light is nice to get your attension of a pending issue if your not watching your gauges.
Black914_4
I have a similar dash light question if you guys don't mind.
On the same gauge as shown in his pic what is the top light for?
Mine flashes and clicks like a blinker.
Drums66
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Jan 12 2012, 05:03 PM) *

....Emergency brake is on or wire to button is shorted or something amiss with brakes in general idea.gif
bye1.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jan 12 2012, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(2xs performance @ Jan 12 2012, 05:03 PM) *

....Emergency brake is on or wire to button is shorted or something amiss with brakes in general idea.gif
bye1.gif

Or you have a brake warning light switch on the master cylinder that is activated.
windforfun
Hello Dave...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.