Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the color black on 1970 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VRROOMM1
hi my under standing is that in 1970 black(041) was not a color offered buy porsche till 1971. my car is a black 1970 with a color tag of 041 on the door post. i removed the rockers , shiny black factory paint and under the undercoat itss black also if someone ordered the car black from porsche would it have a 89 for custem paint? im the 3rd owner of the car it was all stock when i got it. thanks doug h
SirAndy
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Jan 11 2012, 03:22 PM) *

hi my under standing is that in 1970 black(041) was not a color offered buy porsche till 1971. my car is a black 1970 with a color tag of 041 on the door post. i removed the rockers , shiny black factory paint and under the undercoat itss black also if someone ordered the car black from porsche would it have a 89 for custem paint? im the 3rd owner of the car it was all stock when i got it. thanks doug h

What is the VIN and build date? If i recall correctly, black was not an option until '71.
But it may have been available for very late '70 cars?

VRROOMM1
hey andy its 4702909650, 06/70
SirAndy
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Jan 11 2012, 03:48 PM) *
hey andy its 4702909650

Hmmm, that's about half way through the '70 run. Do you still have the large door jamb sticker with the build date?
idea.gif
VRROOMM1
yes its still on the car unmolested
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2012, 03:50 PM) *

hey andy its 4702909650

Hmmm, that's about half way through the '70 run. Do you still have the large door jamb sticker with the build date?
idea.gif

Hey Andy 6/70 would be almost the end of the 70 MY (Aug 69 - July 70) VIN aside, so that fits your theory of it being a late 70 MY offering of 041 Black.

VROOM1 - I think your Karmann Plate & fresh black under it & hopefully a few unmolested areas elsewhere on the 914 will substantiate the addition to Black being offered in the 70 MY - at least the end of the MY run anyway, and it's still a 70 914.

Maybe contact PCNA for their Kardex info. & for a COA to document their records, as you may have a rare 70 Black one - one of ??

Maybe you can post some pix of the Karmann Plate, VIN & original Black Paint here, and your COA when you get it.

BTW - #98 was a special order color picked from other Porsche colors offered on any Porsche model, whereas #99 was a custom color ordered to match a customer's/buyer's color sample.

Since the Karmann plate is stamped with 041, yours wasn't either of those special orders, but a color option which VW-Porsche started producing as one of their standard extra cost colors (along with the metallics at extra cost) at least by June 1970, and perhaps earlier.

Once you substantiate it all out, you may want to email the info to p914.com & 914club.com etc. so they can update their color charts (pending the confirmation steps I've suggested before.

Maybe Pat Garvey has some thoughts on how he wants to handle the "new 1970 color" as a separate topic or in this post? confused24.gif

Great Find! first.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 11 2012, 07:10 PM) *
hey andy its 4702909650

idea.gif

Hey Andy 6/70 would be almost the end of the 70 MY (Aug 69 - July 70) VIN aside, so that fits your theory of it being a late 70 MY offering of 041 Black.

Agreed. When i said "half way through" i was looking at the overall number for 1970, not the MY numbers.

06/70 puts him right at the end of MY '70 ...
idea.gif
sixerdon
According to our member VIN file, MY 70's were made well into August (08/70 4702913xxx) and Vrroomm1 isn't the only black listed......
Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jan 11 2012, 07:42 PM) *

According to our member VIN file, MY 70's were made well into August (08/70 4702913xxx) and Vrroomm1 isn't the only black listed......
Don

There's only 3 black ones listed for 1970, one just a tad earlier than Vrroomms and one later.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;byColor=L04I

idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 11 2012, 10:10 PM) *

hey andy its 4702909650

idea.gif

VROOM1 - I think your Karmann Plate & fresh black under it & hopefully a few unmolested areas elsewhere on the 914 will substantiate the addition to Black being offered in the 70 MY - at least the end of the MY run anyway, and it's still a 70 914.

Maybe contact PCNA for their Kardex info. & for a COA to document their records, as you may have a rare 70 Black one - one of ??

Maybe you can post some pix of the Karmann Plate, VIN & original Black Paint here, and your COA when you get it.

BTW - #98 was a special order color picked from other Porsche colors offered on any Porsche model, whereas #99 was a custom color ordered to match a customer's/buyer's color sample.

Since the Karmann plate is stamped with 041, yours wasn't either of those special orders, but a color option which VW-Porsche started producing as one of their standard extra cost colors (along with the metallics at extra cost) at least by June 1970, and perhaps earlier.

Once you substantiate it all out, you may want to email the info to p914.com & 914club.com etc. so they can update their color charts (pending the confirmation steps I've suggested before.

Maybe Pat Garvey has some thoughts on how he wants to handle the "new 1970 color" as a separate topic or in this post? confused24.gif

Great Find! first.gif

We all know that there were anomolies in the early production cars, and that "history" is frequently restated for these cars.

IMO, if the door jamb plate indicates "041", and the surfaces of the chassis indicate that it is black, and all other areas of the car indicate black...it is pretty easy to substantiate that the cat was painted black originally. This was a $300 option in '72, which is why I bought bahiarot (couldn't afford black).

Suspect it's just another anomoly.
Pat
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 12 2012, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 11 2012, 10:10 PM) *

hey andy its 4702909650

idea.gif

Great Find! first.gif

We all know that there were anomolies in the early production cars, and that "history" is frequently restated for these cars.

IMO, if the door jamb plate indicates "041", and the surfaces of the chassis indicate that it is black, and all other areas of the car indicate black...it is pretty easy to substantiate that the cat was painted black originally. This was a $300 option in '72, which is why I bought bahiarot (couldn't afford black).

Suspect it's just another anomoly.
Pat

are the two 70 cars orignal color black or repaints?
SirAndy
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:15 AM) *
are the two 70 cars orignal color black or repaints?

You will have to ask the owners.

Anyone can add any color to their VIN, there is no way of knowing if that is actually what's on the doorjamb plate, short of asking them.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;byColor=L04I

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.