Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new 2012 Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Received this from Porsche this morning:

The new Boxster generation – the mid-engine roadster from Porsche

Stuttgart. Never before in the history of the Porsche Boxster was a change of generation so comprehensive. The open-top two-seater car is being marketed with a completely new lightweight body and a completely revamped chassis. Considerably lower weight, longer wheelbase, a wider track and larger wheels significantly enhance yet further the mid-engine sports car’s driving dynamics, already far and away the best in its class, supported by the new electro-mechanical power steering. The new Boxsters boast superior performance and are also up to 15 per cent more fuel-efficient. Depending on model, they get by with significantly less than eight litres of fuel per 100 kilometres.

The new Boxster thus delivers what the fundamentally changed styling with shorter overhangs, significantly forward-shifted windscreen, flatter silhouette and expressive edges promises. The passengers are enclosed by the completely redesigned, fully electric hood, which now dispenses with a convertible top compartment lid. The interior concept offers the occupants more space and reflects the new Porsche outline with the raked centre console, which, originating with the Carrera GT, ensures further improved ergonomics in all models.

The new sports car generation makes its debut in the classic Porsche pairing of Boxster and Boxster S. Both models are powered by flat-six engines with direct petrol injection, the efficiency of which is further enhanced by electrical system recuperation, thermal management and start/stop function. The base model’s new power unit delivers 265 hp (195 kW) from a 2.7 litre displacement – ten hp more than its larger displacement predecessor. Technically, it is now based on the 3.4-litre engine of the Boxster S. This now delivers 315 hp (232 kW), which is five hp more than before. Both models feature a manual six-speed gearbox as standard with the seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) available as an option. Both sports cars achieve their best fuel consumption and acceleration performance with the PDK. The Porsche Boxster’s fuel consumption with PDK is 7.7 l/100 km and 8.0 l/100 km for the Boxster S. With gear changes without interruption to the power flow, the Boxster sprints from zero to 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds, the Boxster S in 5.0 seconds.

To enhance driving dynamics yet further, Porsche offers the Sport Chrono Package as an optional extra for the Boxster, featuring dynamic transmission mounts for the first time. Also new in the Boxster is Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical rear axle differential lock.

The market launch of the new Boxster generation will be on 14.04.2012. The basic list price in Germany will be 48,291 euro for the Boxster and 59,120 euro for the Boxster S, including 19 per cent value added tax in both cases.

Click to watch the huge pictures ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
johannes
With the Boxster being larger and more powerfull, there is more room for a smaller roadster in the product range.

wink.gif
johannes
And here is the video : (watch it full screen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUH4z4cUtg
stuttgart46
There were a lot of rumors that it was going to have a tubo charged 4 banger. Doesn't sound like Porsche went with that option, thankfully.
johannes
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jan 12 2012, 05:12 AM) *

There were a lot of rumors that it was going to have a tubo charged 4 banger. Doesn't sound like Porsche went with that option, thankfully.

That will come ...
markyb
Much nicer lines than the 911
keske968
It looks more like a carrera gt. Headlights, side intakes etc.
JmuRiz
About time they sculpted the side scoops like the CGT
plymouth37
I like it, just squeeze another 100 or so hp out of it and it would be perfect.
I love the side scoops!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 12 2012, 08:32 AM) *

That will come ...

Right. Rumor is that the turbo four is for a potential roadster that will slot in below (price and performance) the Boxster. It most likely will be based upon a common platform sourced from VW or Audi. Basically this is also the ongoing rumor that pops up again and again here about a new "914", but it is more likely to be called a new "550".

Richard
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 12 2012, 10:02 AM) *

About time they sculpted the side scoops like the Toyota MR2 Spyder

Fixed That For You! biggrin.gif

Really, though, I love the look of the new Box. I can't wait to see the K-Man.
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 12 2012, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 12 2012, 08:32 AM) *

That will come ...

Right. Rumor is that the turbo four is for a potential roadster that will slot in below (price and performance) the Boxster. It most likely will be based upon a common platform sourced from VW or Audi. Basically this is also the ongoing rumor that pops up again and again here about a new "914", but it is more likely to be called a new "550".

Richard

There is also rumor that it will be on the next gen Audi TT platform. Here's hoping Audi does the right thing and makes the next TT mid-engine, rather than Porsche conforming to a front engine front driver...
Chris Pincetich
how does the new Boxter S get more power AND better gas mileage? Did I read that right? blink.gif
beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
Lighter weight and more efficient engine biggrin.gif

Impressive that it's a bigger car that weighs less.
rnellums
Looks great from the front, but I'm not entirely sold on the looks from the rear.
get off my lawn

Turbo 4 cylinder porsches are kool!
porsche_dreamer
Love the front and sides. Iffy on the back. The start stop feature is a nice touch, especially in traffic. That extra 100hp will never happen, because like the people at porsche said, "We have to protect the 911". Would I ever buy one probably not for two reasons, 1- cant afford it, 2- just not a boxster person. I like the direction they are going with their cars, I'm excited to see the new cayman and the future baby 550 or whatever they are gonna call it.
Cairo94507
Huge overall improvement. beerchug.gif
ottox914
Nice. About the "baby boxster", VW has been teasing us for years with the BlueSport concept car. Be nice if they would get off their dead ends and just build the darn thing. Small turbo 4 cyl gas and diesel for VW, larger turbo gas and diesel for Audi, big turbo 4 in the Porsche and there is your model line. Share the tooling and development across 3 lines.

C'mon guys, just do it! If you build it, we will come.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...rt-roadster.htm
Andyrew
Looks like Italian styling IMHO. I see a lot of Ferrari lines...

Not that thats a bad thing..
Tom_T
Here's the link to the PCNA's equivalent promo piece for the New Boxster which I got in the Porsche e-Newsletter yesterday.....

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/boxster/u...X_ONL_USA_Model

I agree with our Ice Green colleague's comments on the looks - nice from the front, but the back looks bulky. IMHO the rear view would be far better with a long/wide & thin taillight more akin to the new 911/991's taillights, in addition to sharing parts.
broomhandle
one can only hope a new 4cly 914 would come out. a 550? that doesent work with porsche... dosent start with a 9!!!! VW has so much to offer. if they can make a 1000hp bugati i think they can do a production 4cly. guys race the 1.8T/2.0T in other cars and get 300+ hp. it would be fun in a new modern small little porsche.

but, it would probably be a vw in europe and porsche in the US and priced just below the 911, and they would have a 6cyl version that costs as much as a 911..........
skota
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 12 2012, 04:16 PM) *

Looks great from the front, but I'm not entirely sold on the looks from the rear.

had a girlfriend like that once

driving-girl.gif
etcmss
another article link if interested
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autos...6c-fb041a40f927
Drums66
QUOTE(skota @ Jan 13 2012, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 12 2012, 04:16 PM) *

had a girlfriend like that once

driving-girl.gif

....I dig her from both ends...What is hip? poke.gif
bye1.gif shades.gif
bandi
There has been rumors of VW making a mid or rear engined Beetle roadster based on the new generation Boxster, using a turbo flat 4... so who knows. It'd be cool to see a Bug with the engine in the proper end again!
Richard Casto
I wish they had been able to keep the side scoops from the orig 1993 Boxster show car prototype. But they were said to be too low and I think there were concerns about debris getting in or something like that.

IPB Image

Richard
Richard Casto
Porsche CEO says it is unlikely that we will see a sub-boxster (aka new 550) roadster anytime soon...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-R...esport-on-hold/

Richard
EdwardBlume
Well, I guess I won't be buying a new Porsche in 2014. Darn!
porsche_dreamer
Dangit Porsche! Stop messing with my emotions.
johannes
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 17 2012, 07:06 AM) *

Porsche CEO says it is unlikely that we will see a sub-boxster (aka new 550) roadster anytime soon...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-R...esport-on-hold/

Richard

CRAP !!! dry.gif
dlkawashima

"Porsche looks set to delay the launch of its entry-level sports car as the company’s CEO fears it could dilute the brand’s image.

Porsche boss Matthias Mueller told German business newspaper Wirtschaftswoche his brand “probably [needed to] wait until the next generation of customers before the idea of a small roadster will work for Porsche”.

In other news, Porsche has officially confirmed that their new small SUV, the Cajun, will be offered on the North American market starting 2013. Next to it, Porsche will also be offering the Cayenne diesel and the Panamera GTS."

A small sports car will hurt Porsche's image but a small SUV will not? Uhhh, yeah, right.

While it's obvious that Porsche has been moving upscale, and they continue to focus on the top end of their lineup, I think this one comes down to a simple matter of predicted sales volume. VW already released a statement that it didn't think it could reach the numbers it needed to turn the BlueSport concept into a money maker:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/155148/volkswa...xster-in-limbo/
johannes
Won't hurt image ... Will hurt margins ...
Eric_Shea
That front end shot of the Ferg Brown car has MR2 written all over it. biggrin.gif

Same side scoops and all:

Click to view attachment

P.S. Who else noticed they had "guys" driving them in the video?? ohmy.gif av-943.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 17 2012, 05:07 PM) *

Won't hurt image ... Will hurt margins ...

I agree it's more about money and less about image. There have been other speculation (via press reports) that Porsche just doesn't think the time is right yet for the new entry level car. What that translates to is that they don't think they will make as much money as they want. No doubt Porsche has a number of different things they are considering doing and they will pick the one that gives the biggest return. This would not be the first time they spent money developing a car to a specific point and then pausing or even pulling the plug.

Richard
Chris Pincetich
why should they build a new "914" for us 99% of society when the 1% is clamoring to buy a $800k+ 918?

I appreciate what I have, a decent 914 racin n rustoration project, more every day. beerchug.gif
I just wish it would appreciate faster! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.