Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans axle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What company might be the best for shipping a trans axle, as far as price goes?
bigkensteele
As much as I hate to say it because I used to work for the parent company, and I think that Satan may be a major shareholder, but Greyhound has pretty good rates. Pack it REALLY well.
partwerks
Satan's not driving the bus is he? Otherwise I may have to get some fire insurance for the trans.........just in case!!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 12 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Satan's not driving the bus is he? Otherwise I may have to get some fire insurance for the trans.........just in case!!

No, Satan only devised the corporate culture. And he was in a bad mood when he did it. It was by far, the worst job I ever had.

As long as you pack it pretty well, you should be fine with GH.
partwerks
I don't know what the trans weighs, but in the information, the weight limit is 100lbs.

Anybody know what the trans weighs?

Also, I wonder if it would fit for shipment in a rubber maid container?

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/faq/#customerservice_1
wingnut86
They will take it for around $85 shipped.

Grab a few 2X4 or 4X4 studs and bolt the case shaft down using the wood as stand offs. Make sure you then tie the 2 boards together with 2 additional boards to close all 4 sides. Use carriage bolts and pre-drill the holes on the bottom of the supporting boards to eliminate the teeter-totter effect.

While you are at Home Depot for wood and bolts, buy a roll of that industrial plastic wrap that has a long cardboard handle and some packing tape - wrap the hell out of the case, cocooning everything inside the wrap. Obviously, drain the oil well and pack all holes with paper shop towels. Remove the shift console, brake light switch and speedo drive - pack and wrap and place them under the bell housing if room, if not, wrap in cardboard and tape to area behind starter hole. The unit will slide right into the belly standing up, but keep in mind that the GH shippers will use the most obvious handles for picking the package up - so make sure the cone and ears are supported/protected for this occasion...

Good luck.

jimkelly
if it is a side shift - you may want to remove the console as they break easily.
Series9
I recommend http://blueskymotorsports.com/
mepstein
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 13 2012, 12:06 AM) *

I don't know what the trans weighs, but in the information, the weight limit is 100lbs.

~75lbs
mepstein
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 13 2012, 12:06 AM) *

~75lbs
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 13 2012, 07:56 AM) *

Thanks! I have instructions on my website on how to pack and ship via greyhound. They are inexpensive and can be quick. When you drop off, see if they can find a route from point A to B that requires as few of bus changes as possible. That reduces the amount of loading/unloading and potential for damage. Pack the transmission in a way that assumes someone will tip it over by accident.

A 914 transmission, dry, but prepared for shipping (on a small wooden pallet) is right at about 95-100 lbs.

Richard
SUNAB914
agree.gif
Dr Evil
Greyhound SUX! I had to use them when I lived in Harrisburg, but you can ship via FedEx ground (like I told you in the PM) for $90 coast to coast). Easier, it goes to your door so you dont have to deal with the Greyhound terminal monkeys. Plus, there are many more FedEx terminals around than Greyhound ones.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 13 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Greyhound SUX! I had to use them when I lived in Harrisburg, but you can ship via FedEx ground (like I told you in the PM) for $90 coast to coast). Easier, it goes to your door so you dont have to deal with the Greyhound terminal monkeys. Plus, there are many more FedEx terminals around than Greyhound ones.

confused24.gif To each his own, and most likely it comes down to what your local places are like. My local Greyhound is great, they work with me regarding routing and have not had any problem. After using my local FedEx a few time they have refused to ship transmissions via regular "Ground" service unless they are completely crated up and then they want me to us their freight service which is more expensive.

I however don't think you can use any single shipper for every situation. The downside to Greyhound is that they are not a full service shipping business so you loose some things like online tracking.

Richard
Dr Evil
Well, since I exclusively switched to FedEx ground, and came up with using rubbermade containers with the tops zipped on, the shipping issue has been moot and door to door a reality. Every Greyhound terminal I had to deal with (in several states) had the most lackadaisical individuals working there that wouldnt even pee on you to put you out if you were on fire. dry.gif

I did away with exotic shipping contraptions a few years ago now. Much easier on everyone involved. This happened after Greyhound LOST a transmission for a month. No idea how that happened when you can track it from depot to depot and no one wants it at their depot confused24.gif I had to call the depots myself and track as Greyhound was no help at all.
wingnut86
OK, OK, neither of you guys are nice to look at but you are still family.

get back in your dungeons and eat your gruel, or there'll be no more pudding happy11.gif

Besides, our options are limited to buying new from Germany or the world's headquarters in Hotlanta sheeplove.gif
SUNAB914
How did I get an email on my yahoo about this issue? Geez i thought i was the one that caused problems around here. I was just agreeing that I have used greyhound and it worked.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jan 14 2012, 02:25 AM) *

OK, OK, neither of you guys are nice to look at but you are still family.

get back in your dungeons and eat your gruel, or there'll be no more pudding happy11.gif

Besides, our options are limited to buying new from Germany or the world's headquarters in Hotlanta sheeplove.gif

No drama on my end. smile.gif If the Rubbermaid works via FedEx, I will look into it.

Richard
Dr Evil
No drama on my end either confused24.gif

I hate greyhound, not Richard. wink.gif

I was hoping to keep my shipping strategy a secret so Richard would not pickup on it (friendly competition), but I cant let people go to Greyhound and experience the same crap that I had. barf.gif
partwerks
The guy that would take the trans out used to work for the chevy dealer a few blocks away from his shop and he says that he can still take stuff over there and they will ship it for him. I think he said they use UPS? It would be more convenient for me, since I am 50 miles away, as he is in my home town, but his labor rate is $40.00 and hour, as opposed to $80.00 and hour from the previous mechanic I had.

He said Fed Ex don't pick up at his shop, and would have to take it to the terminal or I would. If I have to use fed ex I will.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 14 2012, 09:26 AM) *

No drama on my end either confused24.gif

I hate greyhound, not Richard. wink.gif

I was hoping to keep my shipping strategy a secret so Richard would not pickup on it (friendly competition), but I cant let people go to Greyhound and experience the same crap that I had. barf.gif

I wrote up and published instructions with photos, material list, etc. on how to pack up a transmission for shipping for all to see (maybe I am stupid for doing so), and this isn't a joke, maybe you can do the same! wink.gif

Richard
wingnut86
agree.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Richard,
You do your way, I do mine. I have people who contact me for work and I instruct them how to ship. This way is easiest for me and cheapest for them. Based on the research that I did to save people $$, and on my reputation, people choose to commission me for rebuilds. My ability to save them on the shipping through my hard work in research and development of shipping techniques allows me to be competitive via low cost/low hassle. I see no need for me to publish more than I already have confused24.gif Your way takes more work, and far more effort on the part of your customers than mine. Mine requires no fabrication of anything. Its so simple that I have already said more than enough for you to copy should you wish.

I showed you enough of my secrets last time you visited my shop wink.gif

I initially researched and used Greyhound. It was a necessary evil, things got broken, lost, and the people who work there were hell to deal with. The terminals were often located in the crappiest parts of town and populated with some shady characters so picking up and dropping off was often unpleasant to say the least. It was so bad that I went an hour out of my way to avoid Harrisburg.

Partwerks,
UPS or FedEx, either one is fine. I can always return it FedEx or UPS, but UPS tends to be more. It is just a cost versus effort equation. If it is too much effort to go to FedEx then UPS makes more sense. Either will end up at my door. The nearest Greyhound station is an hour away and not open when I can go get anything so it is not possible for me to use it.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 14 2012, 12:33 PM) *

Richard,
You do your way, I do mine. I have people who contact me for work and I instruct them how to ship. This way is easiest for me and cheapest for them. Based on the research that I did to save people $$, and on my reputation, people choose to commission me for rebuilds. My ability to save them on the shipping through my hard work in research and development of shipping techniques allows me to be competitive via low cost/low hassle. I see no need for me to publish more than I already have confused24.gif Your way takes more work, and far more effort on the part of your customers than mine. Mine requires no fabrication of anything. Its so simple that I have already said more than enough for you to copy should you wish.

I showed you enough of my secrets last time you visited my shop wink.gif

I initially researched and used Greyhound. It was a necessary evil, things got broken, lost, and the people who work there were hell to deal with. The terminals were often located in the crappiest parts of town and populated with some shady characters so picking up and dropping off was often unpleasant to say the least. It was so bad that I went an hour out of my way to avoid Harrisburg.

Partwerks,
UPS or FedEx, either one is fine. I can always return it FedEx or UPS, but UPS tends to be more. It is just a cost versus effort equation. If it is too much effort to go to FedEx then UPS makes more sense. Either will end up at my door. The nearest Greyhound station is an hour away and not open when I can go get anything so it is not possible for me to use it.

No problem. It couldn't hurt to ask. beerchug.gif

Basically I am at a loss at what to say when you say "your way is not as good as mine" without details on how you do it. But its your process to keep secret and I understand that strategy.

I try to publish this stuff so it is easy for people find the instructions and do on their own. They can see what I do even if they don't use my service. I don't think what I do today is difficult or complex. In fact it seems pretty easy to me, but if there is a better way, I am a smart guy and will figure it out. And like today, when I do, it will be published for all to see.

Anyhow, we have gone way past what the OP has asked about. I am guessing he has the info he asked about. I think its a dead horse at this point.

Richard

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.