Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removal of the starter on 1.8 liter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellowFV
Any help out there... I am trying to remove the starter and the lower 17 mm nut/stud comes out easily but it looks like the upper bolt is held in place by a detent in the casting on the starter housing. could not get a socket on it but tried a crows foot wrench and rounded off the bolt head.

Does this starter bolt come off from behind the bell housing ?

Any help here..?

Should I just be saying the heck with it and pull the whole engine/trans unit down out of the car ?

It looks like removing the heat exchanger is difficult and I'm just trying to get the cv shaft clear of the control arm. I was figuring that with the starter out I could clear it.

rob
Eric Taylor
Well wasn't porsche so nice when they designed this one? smile.gif there is a nut inside the engine comparment wich holds that bolt in place. It's a 17 but it's kinda hard to find the first time. If you need any pictures or anything, I would check out the pelican part's website, and the clutch swap article. It shows you at one point where the nut is to fully remove the starter. I know in d-jet cars, you have to remove the air cleaner to get to it. I'm not so sure about what you have to remove on an l-jet car.
Eric
SirAndy
yes, this one is tricky ...

the nut is actually on the inside of the engine comp, the part on the starter is round by design!

look slightly to the left of the throttle body (air cleaner has to be removed) on top of the engine towards the tranny. unbolt the nut and slide the starter out backwards.

voila!
smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.