Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has the secret decoder ring for machinist to increase CR?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
So I converted my car to carbs for vintage racing and have the Raby race cam.
I know I need to increase my compression ratio to make this work out.

Who has the numbers for "Cut 'X' from the combustion chamber to get 'Y' compression ratio?

I have measured my deck height and CCd my heads and everything I have now appears to be exactly stock.
Someone has done this before.

I have a machinist that can flycut the heads (they are in great shape), but he wants me to tell him exactly how much to take them down.

I am targeting a 9.5:1 for now with the stock "slightly dished" 94mm pistons.

I can get a little more increase by switching to flat tops if I want.

Stu

Dr Evil
I just tend to google CR calc.
This one should be fine, but do you know your chamber volume? If not it will be a crap shoot.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
Don M
you can expect to lower standard chamber volume very close to 1cc for every .010" you remove from the heads deck surface, this 1cc amount will increase very slightly the deeper you cut, however there is a limit to how deep you can go without causing problems with the exhuast stud hole. be certain you have established the current correct volume in both heads before any cutting is done.
Mark Henry
Try to change the CR with shims first. I would set the deck height at .060" and figure out the CR before I cut anything.
You can only cut so far before you run into clearance issues with the top fin on the cylinder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.