Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the advantage of short vs. tall intake manifolds?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I am building a vintage race 71.
Almost stock 2.0L with dual 40 IDF webers.

I have both manifolds- Short & Long:

IPB Image

What are the pros & cons for each? I assume my throttle linkage would be different for the two...

The short would give more space in the engine compartment.

Stu
GeorgeRud
They affect the length of the intake manifold, and thus the tuning (supposedly changing the torque values at different rpms). For a street car, there should not be a lot of noticable differance.

With a crossbar style linkage, there should be no real difference in the linkage except perhaps the attachment of the throttle cable sleeve position.
DBCooper
It varies with the combination of injection/carburetor, cam, heads, exhaust, etc, but generally short manifolds need high RPM to give higher horsepower, long manifolds give more torque at lower RPM's. For a (non-race) street car you're generally better off with the long manifolds.
URY914
You would see a differance if you compared them on a dyno but on a street car, not so much.
brant
On a 6cylinder small bore motor with big cams (ie: S camshafts) They use the tall manifolds on purpose to help combat reversion.

on a 4 though that is not an issue.
make sure you also use phenolic blocks.
mandatory at our altitude and cooling with current fuels.
(even the race fuel will want the phenolic blocks)

brant
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 15 2012, 05:16 PM) *

on a 4 though that is not an issue.
make sure you also use phenolic blocks.
mandatory at our altitude and cooling with current fuels.
(even the race fuel will want the phenolic blocks)

brant

agree.gif without the phenolic blocks i could hear and see the fuel boiling in my emulsion tube wells. after shut down.
Maltese Falcon
Plenum effect with the tall tubes. On a higher displacement engine, such as a 5.7L v8, I ran a tall tunnel ram at the track. It ran better on the street with the low rise manifold.
I would go with the tall manifolds on track.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 15 2012, 04:54 PM) *
For a street car, there should not be a lot of noticable differance.

I disagree. For a street car, the longer intakes should give you a bit more low end torque, which is preferred over high end rpm torque and hp. On a track car, the reverse is usually true.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.