Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
Can someone please tell me what each of these relays control? I am also wondering about the silver square one in the middle as it is completely different from the round ones...I just installed a new relay with new headlights; that is the black square relay pictured..
Also, I have lost my turn signals, parking brake warning light (flasher) and drivers side running lights.. confused24.gif

OOPS, 74 2.0

Click to view attachment

Mike Bellis
The silver one is the highbeam relay.
914Bryan
Really? Then what is the other square relay is for? I thought it was for the lights..or is that just the low beams?
Tom
Silver one high/low beam relay and small black one should be the turn signal relay. Check your wiring connectors carefully, you may have disturbed a connection when removing/replacing the fuse panel.
Remember to disconnect the battery when working in this area.
Tom
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 15 2012, 06:41 PM) *

Can someone please tell me what each of these relays control? I am also wondering about the silver square one in the middle as it is completely different from the round ones...I just installed a new relay with new headlights; that is the black square relay pictured..
Also, I have lost my turn signals, parking brake warning light (flasher) and drivers side running lights.. confused24.gif

OOPS, 74 2.0

Click to view attachment

From Left to Right:

Accessory Power relay

High/Lo Beam relay

Turn signal flasher

Horn Relay

Fog Light Relay

Hope that helps.

914Bryan
Yes it does! And that explains why I dont have turn signals. My mistake was installer error by mounting the high low and turn signal flasher in the wrong spots! Yikes. blink.gif Thanks for the information!
Cap'n Krusty
That relay in the turn signal flasher relay p[osition sure doesn't look like the correct part ..................

The Cap'n
914Bryan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 16 2012, 07:29 AM) *

That relay in the turn signal flasher relay p[osition sure doesn't look like the correct part ..................

The Cap'n

Thats because it is not the right part. That was my screw up initially. Put the original flasher relay and I got everythig back.

My new delima is this. I was sent a 40a relay for the new headlighs from PP. Tried to install that new relay and I cant get the lights to work. I figured out the following (at least I think I did) for the wires leading up to the relay.

Red wire, power
White wire, high beams
Yellow wire, low beams
Yellow/Red wire, high/low switch

Ok, so I wired the new 40a relay as follows,
Red into the 30
Yellow/Red in the 87
Yellow in the 85
White in the 86

Looking at the pic, does this look like the right way?

Click to view attachment

Nothing is working. I put on the old relay and everything works again as normal. My concern is that the new lights are too much for the old relay and it will eventually fail.

Any ideas?

SirAndy
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 16 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Any ideas?

If memory serves me, that relay is not supposed to be used as a replacement for the stock relay.

I have a set of new 100W headlights and they came with relays just like yours, but the instructions with them state that you need to rewire your car and not use the stock wiring and relays since neither was build to handle those loads.

idea.gif
914Bryan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 16 2012, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 16 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Any ideas?

If memory serves me, that relay is not supposed to be used as a replacement for the stock relay.

I have a set of new 100W headlights and they came with relays just like yours, but the instructions with them state that you need to rewire your car and not use the stock wiring and relays since neither was build to handle those loads.

idea.gif

Oh, boy. The instructions never said anything about rewiring and the PP website only suggests the bigger relay as prevention of blown fuses and is recommended for 100w bulbs...Gotta look into this some more..

But that aside, I still cant figure out why the relay wont work in the first place and only the old one does... hissyfit.gif
ClayPerrine
You have to add a power feed direct to the headlights, and wire the current headlight wiring into the relay. Use the relay to activate the headlights. That way it won't melt the relay or the headlight switch.

Oh..and there is a kit available from JWEST for the 911 that can be adapted to our car. All you have to do is extend the power feed.

Cap'n Krusty
Check the pin assignments vs. the old one, and check the number of pins. I forget when they went from 4 pins to 5, but 5 pin relays (the only new ones available) require adding a jumper wire when used in a car that came with a 4 pin relay.

The Cap'n
914Bryan
Well, for now im just gonna put in the low watt bulbs and call it a day. Don't want to melt this to the ground. What a pain in the ass. wacko.gif
Mike Bellis
The relay in question is a standard SPST relay. Not a Hi/Low Relay.

30= Common
87= Normally Open
85= ground
86= + trigger

Will not work for Hi/Low but will work for other things. You can either retrofit a SAAB Hi/Low relay ($5-$10) or buy a real replacement ($40-$50).

Here is a handy Bosch relay book...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.