Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tapered Fuel Hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I see where the Tapered Fuel Hose is no longer available at Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...74%29%2C%20Each

Does anyone know an alternative source?

Also dumb question. The description says "Tapered Fuel Hose For Connection at Fuel Filter."

I thought the hose was also used for the outlet port on the fuel pump because the connection is smaller than the standard hose size: 8 mm?
billh1963
I thought it was only for the fuel tank line coming out of the tunnel to the input side of the fuel filter.
wingnut86
Check Automation and Vertex.

They used to carry them as well.
type47
Chris Foley sells a stainless steel piece that does what this hose does.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 16 2012, 07:12 PM) *

Chris Foley sells a stainless steel piece that does what this hose does.

Well, sort of...
Its a male reducer not a (female) hose.
SLITS
Gad, go to ACE Hardware or a place like that and get a 3/8" X 1/2" nylon hose barb reducer ... it'll break the piggy bank.
dangrouche
I employ Chris' taper stainless adaptor tubing, 90-degree bend, and I never have to worry about this transition rubber hose.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 16 2012, 04:47 PM) *

Gad, go to ACE Hardware or a place like that and get a 3/8" X 1/2" nylon hose barb reducer ... it'll break the piggy bank.

........and when you get that thing home, it'll be the wrong size. You want something close to 9mm x 8mm, not 9mm x 13mm.

Have you called the dealer? That's where Pelican and all the others got them.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jan 16 2012, 07:46 PM) *

I employ Chris' taper stainless adaptor tubing, 90-degree bend, and I never have to worry about this transition rubber hose.

agree.gif I bent mine also! unsure.gif Did the same thing! Funny... laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 16 2012, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 16 2012, 04:47 PM) *

........and when you get that thing home, it'll be the wrong size. You want something close to 9mm x 8mm, not 9mm x 13mm.

Have you called the dealer? That's where Pelican and all the others got them.

The Cap'n

Sorry Cap'n, it depends upon which pump you use ... inlet on CIS pumps is about 1/2" and they do make different size reducers, but not metric that I have found.
ClayPerrine
If IIRC, there is a Mercedes Diesel hose that works for this too. But it is weird, as the inlet and outlet are the same size, but the middle is bigger. You just cut it in half to get the reducer hose you need.

Phoenix914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 17 2012, 12:30 PM) *

If IIRC, there is a Mercedes Diesel hose that works for this too. But it is weird, as the inlet and outlet are the same size, but the middle is bigger. You just cut it in half to get the reducer hose you need.

Is this the type of hose you're talking about? It looks like a common type of part for MB diesels, but I wonder if there are different sizes?

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1964970/

Has anyone tried this to replace the tapered fuel hose?
Dave_Darling
Your hardware store will have hose barbs and fittings in the plumbing department that you can put together that will do the job quite well.

--DD
Phoenix914
Thanks Dave. I'll probably go that route.

The MB part just seemed like a slick way to get 2 tapered hoses!
pete000
Glad I got one a few years back when I started my fuel line replacement project. Car is still in the air and the lines all in boxes in my garage, good grief I need to get my car going again !

I bet AA has them at a new adjusted price !
Phoenix914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 5 2014, 04:16 PM) *

good grief I need to get my car going again !

I have the same problem! That's why I'm looking for things like this fuel hose - trying to gather parts for a comprehensive tune up and refresh in hopes of getting on the road again.

And even AA has this part listed as "discontinued."
ChrisFoley
Trying to find that tapered hose is a waste of time if you're replacing the plastic lines with SS.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Aug 5 2014, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 5 2014, 04:16 PM) *

good grief I need to get my car going again !

I have the same problem! That's why I'm looking for things like this fuel hose - trying to gather parts for a comprehensive tune up and refresh in hopes of getting on the road again.

And even AA has this part listed as "discontinued."

I made one out of a piece of hose that was the correct size for the small end. I clamped a tapered punch in the vise and shoved the hose onto the punch after soaking the hose in boiling water. It stretched the hose enough to work.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 5 2014, 08:58 PM) *

I made one out of a piece of hose that was the correct size for the small end. I clamped a tapered punch in the vise and shoved the hose onto the punch after soaking the hose in boiling water. It stretched the hose enough to work.

I was wondering if something like that might work, knowing the original part is unavailable. Sounds like it's worth a try for essentially no cost.
mepstein
I bought mine from Chris - Tangerine. He has all the right stuff.
pete000
I noticed Sierra Madre lists them as NLA now too...

Might go this route...Pretty close to 8 & 10mm
Phoenix914
That looks like a nice piece, and cheaper than a MB cigar hose.
ChrisFoley
That Jegs piece is perfect.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 7 2014, 08:16 AM) *

Looks like it might do the trick until I'm ready to upgrade the whole system to your SS lines. They're on my radar - maybe I can start campaigning for them around Christmas!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Aug 7 2014, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 7 2014, 08:16 AM) *

Looks like it might do the trick until I'm ready to upgrade the whole system to your SS lines. They're on my radar - maybe I can start campaigning for them around Christmas!

If they had been readily available a few years ago I might have never started making our adapters.
However, one advantage of my piece is that I can bend it into a 90 or a 180, which improves the hose layout in some installations
stinkindiesel
Has anybody identified a suitable fuel filter with 3/8" inlet and outlet? This would save trying to round up a weird hose or adapter. After all, you usually need this when replaciing the filter anyway...

Looks like a Wix 33033 might get you there?

Gary
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Aug 19 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Has anybody identified a suitable fuel filter with 3/8" inlet and outlet? This would save trying to round up a weird hose or adapter. After all, you usually need this when replaciing the filter anyway...

Looks like a Wix 33033 might get you there?

Gary

I used to buy mine from Brad at 914ltd.com. He doesn't list it anymore but it was a Wix 33274. Summit racing has them for $5.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-3327...CFQaCMgodnAEAXA
pete000
Fram makes an all metal filter with the 3/8 (10mm) fittings on both ends.

Model G15 at a whopping four bucks !

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/frm-g15
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Aug 19 2014, 02:45 PM) *

Has anybody identified a suitable fuel filter with 3/8" inlet and outlet?

One of the standard 914 fuel filters basically has this--the same size inlet as outlet. This is the one where you need the "converter hose", because the center tunnel line is larger than the filter inlet.

The other one has the big inlet and the small outlet. With this one, you just run the larger hose from the center tunnel line to the large filter inlet.

--DD
mapguy
Awesome!

That Wix unit is just the ticket! About to get the SS lines from Chris for my ride while engine/trans are out getting freshened. This takes care of the reducer hose.

You guys rock! aktion035.gif
stinkindiesel
[/quote]
I used to buy mine from Brad at 914ltd.com. He doesn't list it anymore but it was a Wix 33274. Summit racing has them for $5.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-3327...CFQaCMgodnAEAXA
[/quote]

Yep, the WIX 33274 is the correct one that has the 8mm inlet and 10mm outlet and needs the reducing adapter hose. I have one of those sitting right here. The old one I pulled out of the car looks identical to the 33274, except it has 8mm inlet and outlet. Wish the part number was visible, but it's worn off. It's a Mahle, but that's all I can make out.

BTW, I looked up the Fram G-15 cross on the WIX web site. It does indeed cross to a 33033. Looking more closely at the specs, though, I see the WIX 33033 rated at 20 microns and the Fram G-15 at 10 microns. I think the Fram G15 is the winner! If you happen to be at one of those FLAPs that kind find their own a$$ without looking it up on their computer, just ask them for a fuel filter for a 1973 BMW 2002.

Gary
bandjoey
Bought one like the wix. Don't remember the brand. Check before u buy since mine had the flow backwards. Have to loop the hose to use it. Flow is in on the small end. Out is large end. Autozone sells plastic filter with screw in tips - 3 sizes per kit. I used one for over a year successfully. Finally bought tangerine adaptor. Wish it were about 4" shorter but it does the job with no worry about leaks.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Aug 20 2014, 08:47 AM) *

Yep, the WIX 33274 is the correct one that has the 8mm inlet and 10mm outlet and needs the reducing adapter hose.

33274 is the filter for the late (75-76) fuel system.
It has a 8mm inlet and 12mm outlet.

33003 has 9.5mm inlet and outlet.
33002 has 8mm in and out.
AFAIK Wix doesn't have one with a 9.5mm inlet and 8mm outlet.
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 20 2014, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Aug 20 2014, 08:47 AM) *

Yep, the WIX 33274 is the correct one that has the 8mm inlet and 10mm outlet and needs the reducing adapter hose.

33274 is the filter for the late (75-76) fuel system.
It has a 8mm inlet and 12mm outlet.

33003 has 9.5mm inlet and outlet.
33002 has 8mm in and out.
AFAIK Wix doesn't have one with a 9.5mm inlet and 8mm outlet.

Thanks Chris. That makes sense. I just know the 33274 was "just right" and "too big." I hadn't actually measured the connections. The 33003 and 33033 are essentially the same, with the 33003 being plastic and the 33033 being metal. Same filter element inside.
Phoenix914
Has anybody used this WIX filter? The description says 7 mm on both ends.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Universal-Fue...031-p/33031.htm

They are cheap and available at a local FLAPS for under $5. Anything has to be better than the square plastic ones.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Nov 18 2014, 11:06 AM) *

Has anybody used this WIX filter? The description says 7 mm on both ends.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Universal-Fue...031-p/33031.htm

They are cheap and available at a local FLAPS for under $5. Anything has to be better than the square plastic ones.

Wix 33002 is a better choice. 8mm inlet and outlet, same size as other fittings in the 914 system.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 18 2014, 12:25 PM) *

Wix 33002 is a better choice. 8mm inlet and outlet, same size as other fittings in the 914 system.

Crap, well I just bought one on my lunch break. I was thinking since many of the fuel hoses are 7mm, then this would be a good filter.

If I can't make this one work, I will try the 33002. It's even cheaper!

One of the points that sold me on the 33031 was the application chart on the O'Reilly Auto Parts website (where I bought the filter). The 1970 914-6 was listed, so that was good enough for me. At lease the flow rate should be acceptable.
dcheek
VW uses a similar hose. I ordered one for one of my cars. I don't remember where it is used, or where I got it. I have to check my files. Give me a day or two and hopefully I can come up with it.

Dave
Mikey914
I personally don't like Wix. I had a problem with flow rate being restricted on my 951 and triggering the oil bypass after about 500 miles. Fortunately I was near the dealership and only had to have the oil changed to fix the problem. Got out with less than $100 bill. For the 914, maybe not as much of an issue, but after that the engineering was a question in my mind.
dcheek
This is the one I used on my Rabbit a while back. It looks a little shorter and you would have to confirm the diameters. It might be worth a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351224921678?lpid=82

Dave
Phoenix914
This listing says the hose is 7/11 mm. idea.gif

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/171201543B/...mk1-2-golf-t25/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.