Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underdog
Shift knob not tight on shaft. Tried a crush sleeve but no success. Any ideas on how to tighten? Thanks as always.
ellisor3
You can use some JB Weld or a 2 part epoxy. You might also check where you have the crush sleeve. It needs to be at the very end of the shaft where it transitions from smaller to larger.
rfuerst911sc
I had the same problem on my 911 + 914. New shift knobs with new crush sleeves and neither would stay tight. Played around with them for several days with same results. Took them both off and applied a bead of black silicone to the inside of the sleeve. Did the same on the outside of the sleeve. Installed the knobs and cleaned up any squeeze out. Aligned to my liking and let dry overnight. Been working great for 6 months now and I believe if I ever have to remove them I will be able to. JB Weld sound s a little too permanant to me. Good luck.
Mikey914
the crush washers are only good for one shot. A little dab of silicone will help hold it nicely.
-Mark
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 17 2012, 11:48 AM) *

the crush washers are only good for one shot. A little dab of silicone will help hold it nicely.
-Mark

What???? I've been using the same one for 38 years. must have taken it off 25 times. confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.