Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need to replace starter motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dirty Evo
hey guys. I need to replace my starter motor. 914-6 conversion (3.0l)...

very difficult to start, so needs somethign that can take quite a bit of cranking when starting up on a cold morning at the track.

suggestions or vendors to contact?

Jeffs9146
I would say fix the symptom not the starter! What makes you think the starter is the problem?

Is your car FI or Carbed?
Dirty Evo
agree and we are working on that separately. but in the meantime, the starter is actually shot. I am definitely NOT an electric / electronic guy... but my dad is and tested it. Said he can rebuild it or buy new one, depending on what what is out there.

in regards to the problem of the cold star, car is carbed, carbs recently tuned , running beautifully, BUT on a 20-40 degree morning after sitting overnight out at the track, its a bitch to start. So my dad (yes, I am an adult, but I am not mechanical and my dad is a lifelong greas-monkey.. i am thr driver, he is the pit crew!) is exploring what we can do (choke ? other).

Any suggestions or ideas as far as the cold-start issue? i need to replace the starter, but 100% agree with you that once i do that , i would like to address the cold start issue to avoid all the wear and tear that cranking and crankiing causes. it has never NOT started.. it starts, but it just takes a lot of to get it going.

underthetire
Are you using the 911 starter or the stock 914 starter?
Dirty Evo
hmm.. going to have to check when i get home.. not sure offhand.

rfuerst911sc
On my 3.0 in my 914 I am using a OEM Bosch 911 starter but from a turbo. It has more cranking power then the standard 911 starter. Perfect fit and excellent quality. On my 911SC with a 3.0 I have one of the aftermarket hi-torque starters and it also is a great starter. It spins faster then the one in the 914 and is lighter in weight. But there have been reports on various forums that sometimes they don't fit correctly and can damage ring gear teeth. Mine apparently fits because I've been using it for years now with no problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.