Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold start / how to make it easier to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dirty Evo
3.0l six. carbed

40mm webers.

car runs great, recently had carbs tuned. But, car is VERY cold blooded... difficult to start on a cold morning after sitting out, etc.

is there anyway to install a manual choke or some other ideas you guys may have to help out to require less cranking and cranking and cranking on a freezing morning?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dirty Evo @ Jan 17 2012, 02:51 PM) *

3.0l six. carbed

40mm webers.

car runs great, recently had carbs tuned. But, car is VERY cold blooded... difficult to start on a cold morning after sitting out, etc.

is there anyway to install a manual choke or some other ideas you guys may have to help out to require less cranking and cranking and cranking on a freezing morning?

Six's had a choke just by the shifter, looked very similar to the heater lever.
stugray
I just rebuild my dual 40IDFs, and they definitely have the passages & mounts for the choke hardware, but mine do not have the chokes.

So I assume that they could be added if you found the parts (and maybe have to drill a passage or two).

Stu
Dirty Evo
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 17 2012, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Dirty Evo @ Jan 17 2012, 02:51 PM) *

3.0l six. carbed

40mm webers.

Six's had a choke just by the shifter, looked very similar to the heater lever.

I have the manual throttle lever... but is that really a choke? Different concept? that is just basically throttle adjustment isn't it?
rfuerst911sc
In my opinion if it is VERY cold blooded and that hard to start then your tune still needs some work. I have the same engine with the same carb's and if I drive it every day or every couple of days it starts right up. Yes you have to pump the throttle to get some gas flowing but it starts right up. It is cold blooded for about a minute and she's good to go. Now if I let it set for two weeks without being started that's a different story. And you are correct the floor lever is a throttle advance not a choke.
BK911
I have a carb'd six too.
Let the fuel pump run a little bit to fill the bowls
Pump the gas a few times
Turn the key and she fires right up.
No throttle until she fires up then feather it a little bit.
Then vroom vroom!!
Zundfolge
Back when my 2.0 w/Weber IDFs was my daily driver, I used to keep a couple drop lights under the hood next to the carbs on cold nights, that helped a lot.

No, not the best fix, but might get you by until you can get chokes installed or get them adjusted perfectly.
Andyrew
Not having a choke on my v8 and many 35 deg mornings that I have to drive the car in I simply pump the gas about 5 times and hold the throttle open 1/8 and start the car. After about a minute I can let go of the throttle and it'll idle and drive smooth.

However thats just a v8..
914.SBC
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 17 2012, 05:00 PM) *

Not having a choke on my v8 and many 35 deg mornings that I have to drive the car in I simply pump the gas about 5 times and hold the throttle open 1/8 and start the car. After about a minute I can let go of the throttle and it'll idle and drive smooth.

However thats just a v8..

Andyrew I am in the same boat as you. Mine is cold blooded too. I pump 4-5 times and hold the gas down, then wapow. Not many days in Cali do I have to do that but lately its been friggen cold.
VaccaRabite
My 2056 with 40s was the same way.
On a cold day or if I had not driven it in a while I'd let the pump fill the carbs, pump 2 or 3 times, and hold the gas pedal about 25% in, and it would start. Feather the throttle until the heads were about 100 degrees (a minute or so) and drive off.

Cold starts are part of the reason I am moving to EFI. I want to just turn the key and drive off (takin it easy until things warm up, of course).

Zach
Krieger
How about a spraying a little from a can of quick start? It works great on my kids go-cart.
john rogers
The throttle lever was for extra RPMs on start I think. Some Webers also had an enrichment circuit but most all of them are blocked off. The ones I have seen, mostly race cars (mine included), use an MSD box, their hi output coil, 9mm wires and you get about 15k volts at the plugs when starting and idling. The note about letting the fuel pump run until the sound changes due to the needles closing is true and give the engine a few pumps and it should fire off. Let the carbs get some heat or you can get condensation inside and then the engine will run really crappy.
Dirty Evo
thanks guys, this DOES HELP... the ideas / suggestions, very cool Thanks

car only gets driven once per week sometimes less.... but as far as the starting techiniques you guys suggested, I will give them a shot. Talked to Previous owner today and he suggested same

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.