Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boring cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
Is there anybody left that does a decent job of boring cylinders? Or is the concensous that it just isn't worth the time and possibilities of donors cylinders being bad?

I talked with Art at ACE and that was his advice which I value. Just wanted to see if there was any other input.

If one was to by a set of pistons and cylinders from AA do these have to be checked for various quality concerns?
stugray
"If one was to by a set of pistons and cylinders from AA do these have to be checked for various quality concerns?"

THAT is the real question as you can buy a set of pistons, cyls, & rings for about what a machine shop would charge to bore a set of cylinders...

Stu
pilothyer
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jan 17 2012, 04:56 PM) *

Is there anybody left that does a decent job of boring cylinders? Or is the concensous that it just isn't worth the time and possibilities of donors cylinders being bad?

I talked with Art at ACE and that was his advice which I value. Just wanted to see if there was any other input.

If one was to by a set of pistons and cylinders from AA do these have to be checked for various quality concerns?

Same dilemma here........I have several sets of nice Mahle 94 mm cylinders, but want to go to 96. I don't really want to have to go Nikkies $$$$$$ But don't want to go with AA cylinders and piston set...I am thinking AA cylinders and the Keith Black pistons.............Type IV Store.............now what to do about an oil pump...Jerry
jmargush
I asked the oil pump question the other day.

Someone suggested DRD Heads, they have a 30mm type 1 pump modified to fit a type 4
ChrisFoley
I just made a torque plate so my local engine machinist can bore cylinders for us.
In a week or so I'll know if it was worth it.
jmargush
Cool
If it works can you lets us know what he would charge for a set?
Brett W
Rimco can bore them as can the motorcycle and two stroke machine shops. You can build a torque plate and mount them in the block. Then a regular machine shop can bore them.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jan 17 2012, 06:25 PM) *

Rimco can bore them as can the motorcycle and two stroke machine shops. You can build a torque plate and mount them in the block. Then a regular machine shop can bore them.

I've used Rimco many times for boring cylinders.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 17 2012, 09:09 PM) *

how is rimco now? i have heard there quality has gone down hill as of late. i havent used them for a number of years so its just the rumor i have heard.
euro911
I had EMW (European Motor Works) in Hawthorne, CA bore my old 2L Mahles to 96mm - they came out great, and it wasn't too big of an expense.

EMW Link
TheCabinetmaker
I have three old school machine shops locally that do it. One is a fifty year vw machine shop. My last set that I had done cost me 20 bucks each. They have been in my car for 4500 miles with no prob. I would think that there would be similar shops in any city of half a million or more. I also agree with the bike machine shops.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 17 2012, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 17 2012, 09:09 PM) *

how is rimco now? i have heard there quality has gone down hill as of late. i havent used them for a number of years so its just the rumor i have heard.

After over 20 years I gave them the finger...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.