Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brace on Master Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
I found this in a thread piratenanner.gif :

...put a brace on the master cyl to keep the metal from bending when you really push on the pedal...

Does anybody has more details?
Links?
Picture or even parts?

Thank you!
'73-914kid
Master Cylinder Brace
This is the setup Chris Foley sells. It's a pretty simple concept, but when running a 19mm master cylinder, and when you have greater pedal pressures than stock, it is definetely useful in preventing flex, which does occur.
CG-914
Thank you Ethan,
just send you a PM about the covers...

BTW: were do i get the 19 mm MC?
brant
there is also a pictures of one in my vintage car build thread signature
Dave_Darling
The 19mm M/C is available from all of your favorite Porsche retailers. It's an early 911 master cylinder, and is often sold as an upgrade for 914 brakes. It's a bit cheaper than the 914's 17mm M/C any more, too.

--DD
strawman
Has anyone here built a brace for a 19mm M/C when using a 911 aluminum crossmember? That is something I've got on my list of things to do...
Millerwelds
McMark posted some videos showing just how much flex is there. It looks like a worthy fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdPmitJ9XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIvAyozXx4Y
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 18 2012, 03:54 PM) *

McMark posted some videos showing just how much flex is there. It looks like a worthy fix.

blink.gif WOW I didn't think it would flex that much. Something to add to my while you are in there list. dry.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 18 2012, 06:44 PM) *

Has anyone here built a brace for a 19mm M/C when using a 911 aluminum crossmember? That is something I've got on my list of things to do...

We did one last year. I'm not sure I have any pictures though.
strawman
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 18 2012, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 18 2012, 06:44 PM) *

We did one last year. I'm not sure I have any pictures though.

Chris, you do great work and many of your products adorn my yet-to-be-running Suby-powered teener. How much for the brace kit?

Also, any pics you can provide would be great. I've got a hydraulic clutch master cylinder that sits beside the brake master cylinder...

Geoff
brant
there is a brace on an aluminum crossmember in my signature thread....

(with pictures)

b
stewteral
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 18 2012, 03:54 PM) *

Hi Millerwelds,

Thanks from all the 914 owners who are running the stock master cylinder!
Your video was Great!

The amount of flex was MIND BLOWING! Not only should it make the brakes feel
"Funky", I would bet over time could lead to failure of the mount and the brake pedal going to the floor when it pushes master cylinder right through!

YIKES!!

Best,
Terry
Eric_Shea
Theres a picture of the CFR stud layout in this thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92500
Millerwelds
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jan 18 2012, 09:25 PM) *

Hi Millerwelds,

Thanks from all the 914 owners who are running the stock master cylinder!
Your video was Great!

The amount of flex was MIND BLOWING! Not only should it make the brakes feel
"Funky", I would bet over time could lead to failure of the mount and the brake pedal going to the floor when it pushes master cylinder right through!

YIKES!!

Best,
Terry

I'd love to take the credit for making the video's but these were done by Mark at Original Customs. If you are near Napa/Sonoma I'm sure he can add a brace to your master cyl along with anything else your teener might need.
CG-914
I like the brace in the video better than CFR's!
Because cfr is only at the end and the most movement is down though!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Jan 19 2012, 10:02 PM) *

I like the brace in the video better than CFR's!
Because cfr is only at the end and the most movement is down though!

I think you missed a detail on the Tangerine Racing brace.
It stops the master from moving downward very effectively!
OTOH, if you can't weld and you don't know anyone who can weld for you, a clamp-on brace is the better choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.