Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car insurance headaches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Hey, got an issue. Recently moved, trying to sort out car insurance. A few caveats. I no longer have a car that is newer than 15 years old because I have plenty of other cars in fine working condition, and because I basically don't need a car to get around. I bike/take mass transit to get to work and I live with my girlfriend who has a new car that we can take on trips if we don't want to take the Westy. So, I recently was trying to get an agreed value policy for my cars, but everyone I tried (Hagerty, Leland West, etc) had a requirement that I needed to own a car that was 15 years or newer in conjunction with the cars I was trying to insure through them . . . even if I compromised and left the Westy on a standard policy, they still wouldn't do it. The reason, the Westy is so close in age to my 914 and Beetle, and therefore just as unreliable, that I would undoubtedly use the 914 and Beetle as a back up to the Westy. They had no interest in the fact that I basically don't drive anywhere and just keep these cars for fun, and apparently my word is not good enough to convince them that I would stick to the policy requirements even if I had a breakdown.

So, does anyone have suggestions for car insurance for this apparently somewhat unusual situation? I'd love to be able to talk to a reasonable agent/underwriter that could tailor a policy a bit to suit, or that would actually trust that I would follow the requirements in the policy that I am signing. I know I could go the standard policy route, but I'd like to avoid it because of lack of value coverage, and because it is too expensive for how little I drive. Maybe my expectations are skewed. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Type 47
dude, just get married piratenanner.gif grouphug.gif that will solve all your problems driving-girl.gif well maybe not hissyfit.gif I have my Camaro and 914 with Haggerty and it was pretty easy...I don't remember being asked about my other cars yellowsleep[1].gif can you tell them how many miles you commute on your bike/bus? you know they are like lol-2.gif when you say you don't drive but have 3 cars, they are looking out for sheeplove.gif you can't blame them confused24.gif can you, they think you are happy11.gif on the other end of the phone going i'm sheeplove.gif this company. You know...there are some perks to being married... chair.gif it's not all bad beer.gif beer3.gif slap.gif icon_bump.gif KMA.gif mad.gif screwy.gif chair.gif cheer.gif bs.gif chowtime.gif headbang.gif at least you can get cheap coverage for you vintage rides
RickS
You have just hit the wall of corporate america where mindless rules based on statisical averages trump common sense. I have had classic insurance with Haggarty, American Classic and Grundy and all are emphatic about having a newer car. I really wish you luck - maybe just get standard car insurance from State (gag) Farm.
malcolm2
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:34 PM) *

Hey, got an issue. Recently moved, trying to sort out car insurance. A few caveats.

So, does anyone have suggestions for car insurance for this apparently somewhat unusual situation?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.americancollectors.com/

Not sure of all their options, but they helped me with my antique 85 VW cabriolet. Doesn't hurt to call. Have you tried a large independent agent? We have one here in Nashville called Zander Insurance. http://zanderins.com They might help you find something. I think Obama will let them sell across state lines too.

Good Luck
rnellums
I have mine insured through state farm. They are pretty cheap for my insurance, but I do have my DD insured through them as well, so you may have to put full coverage on the westy. Note, my DD is not 15 years old however.
matthepcat
Maybe try getting renters insurance, personal property insurance, and maybe they will let you set up classic car insurance ( mine only costs me $160/year based on a $10000 value)

Oh yea I have state farm.
Matt
mrholland2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Hey, got an issue. Recently moved, trying to sort out car insurance. A few caveats.

So, does anyone have suggestions for car insurance for this apparently somewhat unusual situation?

Thanks,

Chris

Not sure of all their options, but they helped me with my antique 85 VW cabriolet. Doesn't hurt to call. Have you tried a large independent agent? We have one here in Nashville called Zander Insurance. http://zanderins.com They might help you find something. I think Obama will let them sell across state lines too.

Good Luck

1. Thanks for attempting to be sneaky about a political statement. It was lovely and disgusting. sheeplove.gif

2. Car insurance isn't governed Federally, so if you're going to attempt to be "funny" or "political" (in quotes because you failed miserably at both), at least pick something that MIGHT actually make sense. stromberg.gif

Sheesh screwy.gif
billh1963
Me thinks you hit a nerve with Mr. Holland (NEA and all that....) happy11.gif
Chris,
Try J.C. Taylor I have both of my 914's insured thu them for year's
Agreed value policy.Very easy to work with.I Just called them and
up the value of my cars,with no problem.Its classic car insurance
policy..
billh1963
Getting back on subject..... I have a couple friends with JC Taylor and they seem to be happy.
mrholland2
Yes, the "I don't come here for political posturing crap" nerve (unless it is TRULY directly car related, like Feds trying to force shoulder belts being added to classic cars, which would be moronic). There's enough political posturing online, on TV, on the radio that this WAS one of my non-political sanctuaries. . hopefully this will be the last "political" commentary I feel I need to make.

And I know YOU were being fun with me. Lets have a beer. drunk.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 19 2012, 07:44 AM) *

Chris,
Please let us know the outcome.. Call J C Taylor see what they say..
Good Luck,914
billh1963
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:39 PM) *

Yes, the "I don't come here for political posturing crap" nerve (unless it is TRULY directly car related, like Feds trying to force shoulder belts being added to classic cars, which would be moronic). There's enough political posturing online, on TV, on the radio that this WAS one of my non-political sanctuaries. . hopefully this will be the last "political" commentary I feel I need to make.

And I know YOU were being fun with me. Lets have a beer. drunk.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 19 2012, 07:44 AM) *

beer.gif
carr914
QUOTE(RickS @ Jan 18 2012, 10:35 PM) *

You have just hit the wall of corporate america where mindless rules based on statisical averages trump common sense. I have had classic insurance with Haggarty, American Classic and Grundy and all are emphatic about having a newer car. I really wish you luck - maybe just get standard car insurance from State (gag) Farm.

I don't agree with the Mindless Rules statement. I can fully understand why they have the Rule about a Newer Daily Driver. Put yourself in their shoes - would you want to insure a car under a Collector Policy that you think may/will be driven regularly? No offense intended towards the OP, but that is their thinking. And the fact that Collector Car Insurance is so friggin Cheap is because they don't think the car will leave the Garage very often. And you have to have a Garage.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:35 PM) *

I don't agree with the Mindless Rules statement. I can fully understand why they have the Rule about a Newer Daily Driver. Put yourself in their shoes - would you want to insure a car under a Collector Policy that you think may/will be driven regularly? No offense intended towards the OP, but that is their thinking. And the fact that Collector Car Insurance is so friggin Cheap is because they don't think the car will leave the Garage very often. And you have to have a Garage.

That's my problem. My 914 is kept at my parents, since I don't have stable parking right now. Since I don't have a garage to park in, my 914 is on my AAA policy. Since I have two other daily drivers, I meet the rest of the criteria, but you have to meet em all.

Maybe next year, I can move and garage the 914 and my motorcycle somewhere!

The other weird thing is that I was asked if I would ever drive the car to work. Well, yes, if I want to drive my car in to work on a nice Friday, I will.
patrick3000
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 19 2012, 08:21 AM) *

I have mine insured through state farm. They are pretty cheap for my insurance, but I do have my DD insured through them as well, so you may have to put full coverage on the westy. Note, my DD is not 15 years old however.

X2 State Farm
mrholland2
Because I'm going to drive it alot (weather and repairs permitting), I just have it on my regular policy. (Allied Insurance). When I get it "done" (are they ever REALLY done?), I will get the car appraised for full coverage. That was what my independent insurance agent said. Hope that helps.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:35 PM) *

type11969
Thanks guys. JC Taylor was on my list along with American collectors, all the same deal. I am currently using State Farm, but they require me to keep the Westy as a DD (even though home owners is through them too). So no coverage based on market value (just their blue book, which means it is worthless) and expensive rates (at least relative to how much I drive it). Other thing that stinks about State Farm is that their classic car coverage is very restrictive . . . I'd love to have a policy on my Beetle that is similar to the ones that JC Taylor et al advertise, with "pleasure drives" allowed along with occasional drives to work. State farm, as the policy reads, is strictly to and from events/parades.

So sounds like I am stuck with State Farm. It is getting tough to rationalize paying as much as I do to keep cars legally on the road that I rarely drive.

As for the mindless rules bit, I totally understand why they have the 15 year requirement, but I find it frustrating that they can't trust that I am sticking to the word of the policy that I signed. Its very ridiculous in my case, which granted, I know is not the norm . . . I am willing to give these companies my money to insure my cars that see combined probably less than 5k a year on the road, probably more like 2k . . . I couldn't be a better client for them.

Anyway, again, thanks, and if anyone else has some ideas, please throw them in.

Oh yeah, and the married thing won't work either, all of these policies require that there be one car, 15 years or newer, per registered driver in the household.

-Chris
type11969
Here is some other random company that I am going to check out:

http://www.classiccarinsurance.com/index.htm

Their website instills very little faith in me.

-Chris
Hammy
Slight hijack,
Who is covered under classic car insurance? Anyone driving the car or just the registered/insured owner?
matthepcat
It's just like your regular insurance, but with less mileage and a fixed value that you choose.

QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 19 2012, 07:25 PM) *

Slight hijack,
Who is covered under classic car insurance? Anyone driving the car or just the registered/insured owner?

burton73
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Thanks,

Chris

Good Luck

I use these guys for my 86 Carrera my 74 914 that is going to get the 8 (stated Value) and my 914-6 also stated value. I pay $500. A year. I do not need to have my family cars with them. All my cars are with AAA.

Bob
type11969
Yeah, you don't need to have your "family" cars with them, but my guess is that you had to prove that you had other transportation than your "non-family" cars when you got your policy.

Just tried Chubb, Condon Skelly and that last place I linked, all the same story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.