Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stretching front trunk springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Anyone have a good method/tool recommendation for stretching the springs to the furthest notch? I'm deathly afraid of it shooting off and wrecking my paint.

Kev
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 18 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Anyone have a good method/tool recommendation for stretching the springs to the furthest notch? I'm deathly afraid of it shooting off and wrecking my paint.

Sturdy coat-hanger (not the plastic crap) or something shaped in a similar manner. Works just fine.
shades.gif
mrbubblehead
maybe lay a towel over it, just in case.... hissyfit.gif
Gint
Grab it with your hands and pull. They really aren't that stiff. I put on a pair of leather gloves and put them right on. Shocking how easy it was. I spent way more time worrying about it than actually doing it.
John
I use a hook made from a stiff coat hanger that I have attached to an old slide hammer handle. I have never had a spring get away using my spring hook.

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 18 2012, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 18 2012, 08:57 PM) *

Sturdy coat-hanger (not the plastic crap) or something shaped in a similar manner. Works just fine.
shades.gif

agree.gif

Easy! Just wrap the coat hanger around something and hook it on the end of the spring and pull!
VOX
i had some random thin chain links laying around and a stick.
Lennies914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 18 2012, 09:10 PM) *

Grab it with your hands and pull. They really aren't that stiff. I put on a pair of leather gloves and put them right on. Shocking how easy it was. I spent way more time worrying about it than actually doing it.

agree.gif
sean_v8_914
yup. leather gloves. if you are built like a marathon runner, perhaps you have a burly friend...it is easy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.